Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Xcelorin 1/18 scale Sensored 18.5t motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Xcelorin 1/18 scale Sensored 18.5t motor

I recently purchased a 1/18 18.5t sensored motor and Xcelorin ESC for my mini rock crawler pro.
It worked flawlessly for a few days.
I first noticed this the other day. At the top of an incline the crawler buzzed and stopped moving. I thought it was the slipper but found it odd because the truck was not in any kind of bind.
I used the truck yesterday and was doing some serious crawling with a buddy. He has a novak system in his and up until yesterday My Xcelorin system kept right up with the Novak. Once again the truck stopped moving and began to buzz. I let off and the truck rolled back about an inch and then it powered through ok. The buzzing and stopping got worse so I quit until I could get a really good look at what was happening.
I thought maybe a tooth in the tranny stripped so I took it apart and there was nothing wrong inside. All gears looked great. They should the truck is only a couple weeks older than the Xcelorin system.
I crawled across the couch and it buzzed again. I stopped and looked closely at what was happening. The motor was buzzing and the pinion was moving moving back and forth very quickly about an 1/8 of an inch. I let off the throttle the truck rolled back a bit and then it crawled over the obstacle. Now even rolling across a level floor at half throttle or even full throttle ( it doesn't matter what speed now) it will buzz for a split second and keep moving. I just tried a little bit ago and now the truck will go full power (wheels off of the ground) and all of a sudden go to half throttle. The ESC shows an orange light. Turned off then on again the truck will do the same thing.

Any ideas here? I've been reading about Xcelorin systems and the problems people have encountered. Does this sound like bad sensors inside the motor? I am not having any luck getting answers on LOSI's forum. I've asked other questions and no response.

I hope someone is listening and has some help to this problem. :(
dkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

just a thought you might want to post up in the electrical section if you don't get any responce in this section....
samaruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just had this same issue. Grab the sensor wire near the motor and wiggle it around and it will start working. It appears to be a loose or shorted sensor wire. I just sent mine back to Horizon for repair since I couldn't return it. If you can return it, I would and get the Novak. I have had both and the drag brake is weak on both, so you are not missing anything with one or the other.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Yep, sounds like the sensor, sensor wire or it could be loose in the ESC socket.

You need to go through Horizon Hobby for any returns or repairs.

Mine does work well and the drag brake is strong enough to lift the rear off the ground and it holds in a near verticle descent. Not sure why Slaughter's is weak. I was thinking of turning it down some.

My MRC Pro is going to be sitting for a while because I tightened the slipper down because it was slipping too much, got into a strong bind and the idler gear let go of a couple teeth. I hate Losi slippers, either they're too loose or too tight.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the replies fellas. This is my first sensored motor so I'm not real familiar with them. The plug fits really tight into the esc socket so i'm sure it is making good contact there but going into the motor could be an issue. It is so darn small to get in there. To move things around is near impossible. I read that the internal sensors sometimes work loose and wreak havoc inside the motor. Have any of you heard this?
Gosh dang it, I never mistreated it or let it get hot. Like I said, when it was running, it is a good setup. SHOOT! I'll have to give Horizon a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks again all.

Is there anything I should know about the Xcelorin ESC? That itty bitty heatsink I thought was pretty hokey so I bought a 25mm fan and mounted it over the heatsink. I never had overheating trouble with the ESC but it did get warm after a full battery pack. Once the fan was mounted the ESC stayed much cooler than before.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

You definitely don't need a fan on it. Mine did what yours is doing right out of the box, but if I bent the sensor wire near the motor it would work again for a while. Losi has discontinued this motor and esc. Let us know what they say.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

This is starting to piss me off. I've been trying to get Horizon customer service on the phone now for the last 5 hours! No one F@$%ing answers! I know now just by messing with it that it is the sensor wires.

ALL I CAN SAY RIGHT NOW IS $h1T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

That sucks. Like I said earlier, just submit a repair ticket online and mail it in. Then at least you can get it repaired without waiting for them to answer. I think it says 14 day turn around on motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkur View Post
This is starting to piss me off. I've been trying to get Horizon customer service on the phone now for the last 5 hours! No one F@$%ing answers! I know now just by messing with it that it is the sensor wires.

ALL I CAN SAY RIGHT NOW IS $h1T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Every time I called their tech support the phone was answered within a few minutes and I was able to speak to someone whether they could help or not. The last time was to ask what their policy was on a broken swashplate for the mcpx. I got a very nice and courteous guy and was sent a new swash once they were back in stock.

What you describe doesn't sound right and I would try again if I were you and try to be civil when you do reach someone, it does help.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

9 hours later I talked to a representative. Not much can be done since no replacements are available. I guess I will have to check out Novak or Castle.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Better Novak, Castle motors are unsensored.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Better Novak, Castle motors are unsensored.
Will a Novak sensored motor work with the Xcelorin Sensored ESC?

Since nothing could be done with the Xcelorin motor I took it completely apart last night. I lubed the bearings and checked backlash. I checked for continuity between the plug and the chip board. Two wires did not have continuity at the plug. Soldering those itty bitty connections was quite a chore but I did get it done. Strange how moving the wire at the motor caused the intermittent power to the motor since the open was at the plug. I remounted the ESC on top of the tranny so the sensor wire will not be moved while the truck flexes and lightly zip tied it to the chassis. I moved the receiver to the front right behind the body posts. I also removed the rubber boot from the sensor plug since it was so tight from the beginning and the shrink wrap where the wires enter the motor so as not to pinch the wires at that point. It seems the motor likes to have the sensor wires sticking straight out of the motor.
After I run this for a while to see if it is going to work then I will apply some silicon to the area where the shrink wrap was. there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with this, looking on the inside, it is just so tiny to do anything with. You also have to be sure timing is set back to zero when all is said and done.

I ran it around the house last night for about 5-10 minutes and everything worked great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

dkur, they just repaired or replaced mine. I just received shipping confirmation today. They received it on the 2nd and it shipped today. As long as you are under warranty, then they need to take care of it.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
dkur, they just repaired or replaced mine. I just received shipping confirmation today. They received it on the 2nd and it shipped today. As long as you are under warranty, then they need to take care of it.
That is excellent news! I ordered the system on July 29. Received it on August 3rd. Sent it in today ups so they should get within 4 days according to their chart. Horizon should get it by Wed. of next week. Hopefully the turnaraound will be the same as yours. If you don't mind me asking what was the problem with your system?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Look at the 3rd post on this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkur View Post
That is excellent news! I ordered the system on July 29. Received it on August 3rd. Sent it in today ups so they should get within 4 days according to their chart. Horizon should get it by Wed. of next week. Hopefully the turnaraound will be the same as yours. If you don't mind me asking what was the problem with your system?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Update, got my motor back from Horizon today. Work order said they resoldered a sensor wire. Motor does the same thing as when I sent it in. Looks like I might be out $100. I will call them in the morning.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Update, got my motor back from Horizon today. Work order said they resoldered a sensor wire. Motor does the same thing as when I sent it in. Looks like I might be out $100. I will call them in the morning.
UGH!! That isn't a good feeling. My 18.5T motor is still running pretty good. I think I've run 4 packs through it so far and no probs (knock on wood). I just received a confirmation email from Horizon sending my 21.5T system back. I should have it by Tuesday. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Called Horizon and was advised they have no replacements, but he went above and beyond and got me taken care of. Can't say enough.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Called Horizon and was advised they have no replacements, but he went above and beyond and got me taken care of. Can't say enough.
They did the same for me. Totally happy with Horizon. I just need to learn patience.