Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Traxxas overdrive question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Traxxas overdrive question

What does the Traxxas overdrive do? Are you replacing the spur with a Traxxas unit or am I missing something?
mmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

just the pinion, at least that's what i did.
and it overdrives the front axle causing the rear to drag slightly giving a mild dig effect.
search it, someone posted a video displaying operation.
roglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
RCC Addict

It is a 1or2 tooth larger pinion. It helps reduce torque twist by overdriving the front axle, while leaving the rear at normal ratio. This mod has helped my rig climb and feel a lot better when getting through courses.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by roglum View Post
just the pinion...
And just to clarify, since there are multiple "pinions" on RCs, you are going to replace the pinion gear that sticks out of the back of the front axle (that the driveshaft attaches to).
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
And just to clarify, since there are multiple "pinions" on RCs, you are going to replace the pinion gear that sticks out of the back of the front axle (that the driveshaft attaches to).
Where does the "Traxxas" come in on this? Is the pinion different then the one on the motor?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatthewslosiminipro View Post
Where does the "Traxxas" come in on this? Is the pinion different then the one on the motor?
Yes, it is NOT the pinion on the motor. This is inside the axle (the FRONT axle to be more specific).

The gear you are after is the one on the right:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXKK8&P=ML
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

not trying to hijack a thread, but is it a direct bolt-on or is there moding needed to pinion shaft/drive shaft
EricTheRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:32 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I just did this mod last night and it is a direct drop in, no mods required. Mine was a little rough feeling, but a friend told me it will go away when you run it. Kind makes me nervous, but I am giving it a try.

Wes
Attached Images

brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
I just did this mod last night and it is a direct drop in, no mods required. Mine was a little rough feeling, but a friend told me it will go away when you run it. Kind makes me nervous, but I am giving it a try.

Wes
Post back what you think please. I'm getting ready to do it. Do you have the part number on hand. I've searched but it's hidden well.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatthewslosiminipro View Post
Post back what you think please. I'm getting ready to do it. Do you have the part number on hand. I've searched but it's hidden well.
Really???? its not hidden at all.. Hell its in this thread just 2 post's above your post.. Hell its even a link so you can just click the buy it button...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Yes, it is NOT the pinion on the motor. This is inside the axle (the FRONT axle to be more specific).

The gear you are after is the one on the right:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXKK8&P=ML
Here I even quoted the post with the link to the part in it for you..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Tra7079
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Really???? its not hidden at all.. Hell its in this thread just 2 post's above your post.. Hell its even a link so you can just click the buy it button...

Here I even quoted the post with the link to the part in it for you..
You are wonderful. I would have never found it had you not pointed that out. Sometimes I don't read everything, my mistake. This will never happen again, oh wait it will I'm human. Thank you for the quote of the quote. If I send you my credit card number will you order it for me also? Now I will use all the faces to look like I'm cool.

What is that part number again?
That was stupid on my part for sure. Thanks seriously for pointing that out. I do need to read all the info and not just the high points. I promise to do better.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

sorry for the zombie thread, however I['m having a issue directly related to this mod and I have heard of a solution but can't find it. My gears are skipping, it started mildly and went to the slightest amount of resistance rather quickly. I nut and bolted the housing halfs together so i know thats not it. What I need to do is shim the pinion gear closer to the ring gear so i have a better mesh. What are people using for shims? I thought i heard a traxxas part being used but I'll be damned if I can find it. Any help will be appreciated.
MudboyNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudboyNJ View Post
sorry for the zombie thread, however I['m having a issue directly related to this mod and I have heard of a solution but can't find it. My gears are skipping, it started mildly and went to the slightest amount of resistance rather quickly. I nut and bolted the housing halfs together so i know thats not it. What I need to do is shim the pinion gear closer to the ring gear so i have a better mesh. What are people using for shims? I thought i heard a traxxas part being used but I'll be damned if I can find it. Any help will be appreciated.
Yes, shimming the pinion out a bit will do wonders to prevent your issue.
Without looking myself (I can make my own shims....no waiting) I can't tell you what others are using.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

wanna sell me a handful of thin ones that I can stack if needed? I'll trust ya enough to send you a money order
Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

or I can trade you a bunch of 3 mm stainless hardware
Old 11-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #17

Mine was doing the same thing. I went down to the local hardware store and found small e clips that worked perfect. Just put one between the ring gear side of the carrier anb the bearing. I am not sure on the size but I can check tonight and let u know. I will post a pic later also. I have put these in about six axles that were having the same problem and they all worked perfect. Derek
derekmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

got e clips here at work, I'll grab a few different sizes and try them. Thanks for the idea!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #19

They were more of a c clip but they were just the right thickness
derekmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

I've done the mod and shimmed it to where you feel movement but cant see it. Too tight and it will bind , too loose and it skips so closer the better. Use a good quality grease when you reassemble it. Some use marine grease and some use the red tacky grease at car parts places. I'm sure some vendor around here sells a specialty diff grease, but whatever you use should be very thick so it clings to the gears and doesnt get thrown off. I used a synthetic royal purple made for a grease gun mainly cause it was already in my garage,lol Makes the steering a little tighter too since the front is leading more. I've heard of it referred to as a mini dig since the front drags the rer around alittle. I wouldnt get carried away with that since its only 1 tooth difference, but worth it for sure!
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote