Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: BWD low profile wedge build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default BWD low profile wedge build

So as if I didnt have enough projects, I have taken on yet another.

This little guy was probably designed to use 2.25" mini T shocks, but I had other plans. this is actually using the same 3" mrc shocks from my mrc wedge.

I have a lightweight topper and some links/mounts coming to replace the parts robbed from my BWD wedge mini already, I had to get started asap!

after researching body and bodiless dimension rules, this one will run a body to make use of the insane low COG design . Don knocked this one out of the park!

a DUB topper was planned, but doesn't fit the design well after mocking it up. if rules would let it go to 2.5" tall, this chassis would be the go-to setup.

I made some rear upper links 1/4" shorter than what I run on the original wedge, and it feels great. the front uppers are about 1/4" shorter too, because the hole location I used on the original wedge was not there . the shocks are actually mounted where the hardware goes for the electronics mounts! (yes,the hood is functional!)

when a chassis articulates smoothly in your hands before shocks and driving, you know its going to be nice when its fully assembled. No bind and plenty of (added) articulation over the wedge chassis prior. there is no doubt a Mini T shock could work, and there is lots of holes to adjust for, but I was determined to use my shocks since I had them dialed in just right, where Mini-Ts have spacers to adjust with, not coilover bodies.

anyhoo, here's some pics of this evening's labor. I managed to achieve a little rake at the skid, this guy is gonna mimic my sportsman before too long. I had a spare old bug body and it has been cut to bare minimum legal specs. it sits very low and right on top the chassis. cant wait to wire it up and get some time with it before winter comp season!
Attached Images

Last edited by ClassicGMJunkie; 09-29-2011 at 10:14 PM.
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Looks good,but it will never work.
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

how would you ever know, bench crawler!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

At last we get some better shots of the Lo-Pro Wedge.

Looking good

Did you steal to much from your original wedge to make a side by side comparison of how they sit - would be interesting to see the difference....

It's this or the "Cricket" for my next build.
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i took the lower links since they were smoothed for the clearance of the lcc steering throw, as well as the upper mounts front and back. made shorter upper links to suit. geometry is almost identical in the front,the lowest forward hole from the original wedge does not exist,and it was what i was using.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

got the electronics in, and wow there is NO space to breathe. only reason a BEC is there is because the mamba 25 is fried and wont send juice to the rx. so the bec feeds the rx and servo both.

initial impressions. hello articulation. 2.25" shock is all that is needed, the 3" are overkill for suspension travel.

seems to have a bit of torque twist over the whole body not just when climbing. my original mini wedge was better climbing, even with another 1" of delrin up top from the DUB topper. this does not facilitate the electronics to sit low on the chassis . cvd's bind from the height, needs the smaller shocks. I am not giving up on this one, but my axles and magic smoke devices will go back on the wedge, and a thin white dub top will go on this time, to make a very capable chassis even more lighter up top. this might become a bodiless FOFF rig with extended wheelbase and lowered down a bit. super sleek and quick!
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

changed out to MiniT shocks. hate the non adjustable spacer collars, and the fact they are not all the same length, or mrc springs being too big for the lower cups. so,.... torque twist is almost totally gone, sits nice and low, articulation limited now but not to the point of being unstable. talking about my pinion needing shimmed today, the MIP end with hexes broken in the screws popped right off the front axle. it knew it needed it
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2011, 04:35 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Aren't mini slider shocks the same length as mini T but with the knurled adjuster thread?
But it seems a shame not to use the mini T shocks if they're just hanging around.

So now the shocks are sorted does it stay as a crawler rather than a FOFF base?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

yeah its gonna stay a crawler.. i was just threatening myself!

BuckIMod pointed me in the direction of the traxxas 1:16 shocks, adjustables as well. gtr bodied. come in many flavors as well

Last edited by ClassicGMJunkie; 10-01-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGMJunkie View Post
yeah its gonna stay a crawler.. i was just threatening myself!

BuckIMod pointed me in the direction of the traxxas 1:16 shocks, adjustables as well. gtr bodied. come in many flavors as well
Got a link for the lazy?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

used Google "shopping" results... wow..big range of prices on the ole' interwebz.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CCwQ8gIwAA
Old 10-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

This chassis was never intended to run full length shocks

I tried the mini gtr's but they have too little travel. I'm running some mini crawler shocks cut down to the length of the mini t shocks with mini t shock shafts...so I have threaded bodies
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yeah the GTR shocks are too short. I might wind up doing just that, taking the threaded mrc shocks and using the T shafts.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

the mini late model shocks seem to work good.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Tore into mybox of goodies in the mail from BWD, decided to try this lightweight topper (dig the alum stand-offs,Don!) and mount it with existing holes and still remain comp legal. ....its 1/16" taller than spec, just makes width, and length was not an issue.

i think its gonna be great, very low cog, especially with a shorter shock, just need to order some mini late model ones and start tuning.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

using the lexan as a guide , placed over top you can see how much lower (and still legal) this topper sits as compared to where it was on my mini wedge with the 3" shocks. most of the link holes are the same, but the shock mounts are way lower and the electronics mounts brace it like mad.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Can't wait to see what these axles look like polished!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i can't perform miracles!!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckImod View Post
where's them shocks? slacker!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckImod View Post
i did however redo some DNA thrashers for fun.

pics are not the greatest because of lighting, but here goes...

before:
Attached Images