Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: A few noob questions??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default A few noob questions??

Getting my first Mini. It is a used Pro roller, just waiting for it to get here. For the electronics this is what i plan, Castle Micro Sidewinder ESC and Brood Frenzy motor. Does this sound like a good setup? Is there a different ESC you all recommend? Preferably Castle, since i already have Their Link software. Also Should i just get the Brood Apocalypse motor instead, not that i want to cause of cost? Want to keep it on the cheap. And do i need a BEC? i already have a steering servo. thanks...
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: A few noob questions??

The Micro Sidewinder is a great ESC, coupled with the Frenzy motor, you should have a good combination.
To answer your question about the BEC, we need to know which servo you will be running and whether you will be using a 2s or 3s servo.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
The Micro Sidewinder is a great ESC, coupled with the Frenzy motor, you should have a good combination.
To answer your question about the BEC, we need to know which servo you will be running and whether you will be using a 2s or 3s servo.

Servo towerpro Mg946r
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Towerpro MG946R 12kg 55g / 12kg / .20sec

And honestly dont know yet on 2s or 3s. I have 800mah 2s and 3s batts already and just plan on using both just to see which i like or physically fit. i do plan on getting some 450 mah 3s soon though for my 2.2 though,

but after typing this im realizing i should probably use a BEC to set my servo voltage no matter what battery i use. thnks for the fast response..
Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I would think twice about getting a Towerpro servo. I bought 2 off of ebay. Its the MG995 which is at 208oz tq at 6.0v and it is a dog. The throw for one is about 1/2 of what every other servo i've seen is, and it just seems slow for a high tq, hi speed digi servo. The one you r looking at is a step below that. As for BEC yes run one if you plan on going lipo period. I reccomend the CC BEC, or a good ESC with BEC built in.
99xjlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99xjlove View Post
I would think twice about getting a Towerpro servo. I bought 2 off of ebay. Its the MG995 which is at 208oz tq at 6.0v and it is a dog. The throw for one is about 1/2 of what every other servo i've seen is, and it just seems slow for a high tq, hi speed digi servo. The one you r looking at is a step below that. As for BEC yes run one if you plan on going lipo period. I reccomend the CC BEC, or a good ESC with BEC built in.
I already have the servo from a previous build. I agree its not great, but will do for now. And like I said above, I realized I'm gonna need a bec, and yes CC it is and always will be.:thumbup:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
both brood motors you talk about are great can't go wrong with either one
Thats what I've heard, gonna get the Frenzy to keep cost down. Thanks...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
5th D Owner/Driver

The Micro Sidewinder and Brood Frenzy motor will be a great combo. I would strongly suggest against 3 cell on the mini unless you like breaking often. You could try wiring the servo direct as long as you stay with 2 cell, it would be over volting it so you might get a little more power and speed out of it at the expense of possibly burning it up sooner which you could then get a better servo...
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote

A few noob questions?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
noob questions scoutkrlr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 03-07-2011 08:07 PM
Noob Questions netsurfr Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 01-30-2011 11:18 AM
noob, with noob questions farmerstoy General Scale Talk 12 01-14-2010 06:28 PM
AX-10 Noob Questions cableguy Newbie General 4 05-04-2009 04:41 AM
NOOB got some questions s2001riceburner Newbie General 3 11-12-2005 06:41 PM