Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Pro to L-Trail. My first build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Pro to L-Trail. My first build.

Have been wanting to buld a scailer for a while now. My eight year old and I each have Losi MRCs so I have some extra parts laying around. I went through all the parts I had on hand and made a list of what I needed. I orderd an L-trail chassis and a rj speed body from TCS crawlers and a few other misc parts. We started the buld last night, started buy rebulding all the gear boxes. New gears, cleaned and regreased the rear differential. Front differential got cleaned, greased and installed new CVD axles. The transmission got new gears, cleaned and greased. Then we started some chassis mock up. on to some pix. thanks for looking.
Drifter_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Pro to L-Trail. My first build.

Very cool! was thinking about getting the L-trail, im excited to see how this turns out! Keep up the good work!
a2hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Got a little work done,been real hard to find the time to just set down and get some work done. Trying to keep this a budget build and recycle as much as I can. while looking for cross members I looked in the pile of old parts I found my old rear lower links from my gatekeeper chassis and the fit was perfect so on they went. For new I am going to run the steering servo on the axle using the stock servo plate, I want to move it to the frame thow. Also installed all the links and shocks to the axles. Photobucket is being stupid right now and will not let me upload pix so for now pix coming soon.

Last edited by Drifter_X; 05-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Got a lot done done today. ITS A ROLLER! Took a while to get the wheelbace. Now that the wheel bace is much longer than the stock MRC my drive shafts are to short amd am not really sure what to use. Also the stock servo mout would not work so I need to fugure out how I am goin to mount the servo. After I get thoes figured out I will need to figure out the body mounts.

Last edited by Drifter_X; 05-26-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Cool little build. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure I used traxxas Villian yokes and stampede shafts to make my shafts for my L-trail build.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Aaahhhh yeah thanks I thought that there was some kind of traxxas shaft I could use but could not rember.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

On my minis I use the traxxas marine yokes cant think of the part number at the moment.
Love the jeep top I went with the newbright but it had to be stretched to fit.
I also made the chassis the width of a full size servo so I can run the shocks on the outside to look more scale. Not sure how it will perform as its not quite finished yet.
Nik
Nik6189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik6189 View Post
On my minis I use the traxxas marine yokes cant think of the part number at the moment.
Love the jeep top I went with the newbright but it had to be stretched to fit.
I also made the chassis the width of a full size servo so I can run the shocks on the outside to look more scale. Not sure how it will perform as its not quite finished yet.
Nik
Thanks. Good luck on you build, want to see some pix of waht you are building..

Did get a bit done more on the build, I now have steering. I am no machinist so it dose not look real good but it works.......................I hope. Also got battery mount done. let me know what you thank. Had to drill two holes to get it mounted.

Last edited by Drifter_X; 05-30-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

i demand more updates!
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Lookimg good I,ll try to upload pics of my build on the weekend but they are turning out very similar.
Im hating this body building with styrene a lexan body wouldve been so much easier!
Nik
Nik6189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloudone View Post
i demand more updates!
Been kinda slow while trying to build drive shafts using Traxxas parts I called my local Hobby town and they said "yeah we have all the parts" so I drive there ( 45 min drive) when I get there its " I thought we had the parts but we don't". Am waiting on the joints, should have them today. Am hoping to have it running this weekend then all I will have to do is paint the body.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter_X View Post
Been kinda slow while trying to build drive shafts using Traxxas parts I called my local Hobby town and they said "yeah we have all the parts" so I drive there ( 45 min drive) when I get there its " I thought we had the parts but we don't". Am waiting on the joints, should have them today. Am hoping to have it running this weekend then all I will have to do is paint the body.
sounds like my lhs, but its alot closer

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Build looks great. I am thinking about doing the l-trail on mine. Unless you have a train or a t-maxx, my lhs has nothing for you.
Hulldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I have always liked this chassis. Lookin great man
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Thanks everyone. Ok well got the driveshafts built and installed, got all the electronics installed and took it for a drive around the carport and wow is the steering BAD! Way to much caster and need it figure out a way to install a track bar. Am going to have to rebuild the servo mount and rebuild the shocks they are way to soft and need to be limited. But I guess that's all part of TNT ( test n tune).
Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
RCC Addict

could you shorten the upper links a little bit to help with the caster?

im also planning on doing a similar build in a few weeks. do you know if a pro chassis will fit in between the l trail?

c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
could you shorten the upper links a little bit to help with the caster?

im also planning on doing a similar build in a few weeks. do you know if a pro chassis will fit in between the l trail?

The only thing with shorter links is the it will move the pinion angle down and it is low already. Am going to see if I can some how clock the Cs on the axle. The pro skid plate should work frame rails will be really narrow bot you could mount the shocks on the outside of the frame giving it a more real look. I am using the skid plate from my RTR (now gate keeper) everything else is from a pro. Thanks for the commit.

By any chance dose anybody know the best way to install a track bar on this chassis?

Last edited by Drifter_X; 06-11-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Ok got it running still need to paint the body but it runs. I am really liking this thing so far. finished the chassis Saturday got up on Sunday put a battery in it handed the radio to my son (8 year old) and said take off, have fun, I went back inside to get some other work done. A bit latter he came back inside and said " I thank we have a problem" as he is holding the truck in one hand a a wheel and tire in the other. broken cvd. lucky enough I have a doner replaced the cvd ran to more batterys through it man what fun. yeah he let me drive it to. lol I hope that they do not keep breaking I know they have problems.
paint coming soon. thanks for looking.

Last edited by Drifter_X; 06-18-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Pro to L-Trail. My first build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MRC Pro to L-Trail FesterUK Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 05-18-2012 03:44 AM
RC Adventures - Sloppy Muddy Times! Final Pro-line Trail Video RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 6 08-08-2010 04:31 AM
RC ADVENTURES - Pro-Line Scale Trail Accessories - Teds Garage PT1 RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 1 07-21-2010 01:55 PM
Pro-Line Moabs good trail tire? Kratos Tires and Wheels 3 12-21-2009 09:31 AM
High speed trail and Pro Mud truck jetboat 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 12-02-2008 07:11 AM