Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: new steering on the new PRO/ OTA steering mod axialjeepster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
ahhh S^*T

Default new steering on the new PRO/ OTA steering mod axialjeepster

so I ran into a problem trying to descend a small ledge the other day. I had what i thought to be some great steering setup. NOT so much...

so heres a few pics of what I did to completely re-do my front end on my newer MRC PRO.

parts rundown....

RCS titanium pro chassis
losi aluminum links rear
titanium homemade links the rest.
aluminum axle stuff
overdrive front axle mod
mip's
rear knuck weights
BWD motor plate
losi sensored brushless crawler system. 18.5t
MaxAmps 1250 2s 100c lipo.
7955 servo
CC BEC
yes it has 1.55 stompers on 2.0 soft 8's they work well cut like they are.

ok on to the steering build. if you have questions please ask here.
thanks for reading!!

it landed on one wheel and buckled the tie-rod.

this is where i had enough. went with a new setup!!

I made a new servo plate from derlin. its also the upper link mount. made up an OTA steering tie rod. used 20* bent rod ends from a creeper kit.(I love the venom creeper rod ends) mounted them under the knucks. bent the rod just right at each end. the rod is homemade drilled and tapped 3mm threads, 5mm aluminum rod. or 3/16 not sure. polished it up and mounted it up.

I also clocked the hubs while i was in there. and while I had it all apart I drilled out the knuckles for bigger king pins from an axial axle. made for a lot less slop in the knuckles/joints. used the stock screws for that they are 3mm with the tiny threads. soon Ill tap the hubs for 3mm screws. also cut down the knucks to 0 ack.

then mounted the servo which is a 7955. I used homemade derlin servo mounts that I tapped to 4mm and use 4mm stainless hardware to bolt the servo up. very snug and secure.

then made a drag link, mounted it all up and put everything back where it goes. it works really well now and seems strong. Im really liking the new clocked hubs. the red CVD's if your wondering, are just heatshrinked and painted red haha tacky i know. Im turning this into a mini rock bouncer soon.

Last edited by AxialJeepster; 10-11-2012 at 03:05 PM.
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: new steering on the new PRO/ OTA steering mod axialjeepster

Nice work Ryan! Bout time we get to see some of ur builds on the forum! Keep it up...
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
ahhh S^*T

thank you very much troy!! I was thinking of posting up the ol'ladies rig also. hers goes more places than mine.. of course hers has all the parts from my old mini juice on it including the steering from rc bros!!!! damn her. she loves it tho.

hey, is it legal in comp to have the 1.9 rovers mounted on 2.2's?? hers has wraith wheels with widners and rovers stretched over'em. the offset is perfect with the red widners f/r.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Purty snazzy setup. Coupla questions...

Whats that rig weigh?

I think you mentioned a 1000mAh pack? Where do you mount such a hog? I run tiny 350's & the front links are my only GOOD option as far as weight & COG.

I was also thinkin that if ya mounted that OTA link on TOP of the knucks...it'd give you more front end clearance. Any reasons why you chose under the arms?

I dig these kinda threads because it shows creative thinking to fix pretty common probs. Nice work.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
ahhh S^*T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Purty snazzy setup. Coupla questions...

Whats that rig weigh?

I think you mentioned a 1000mAh pack? Where do you mount such a hog? I run tiny 350's & the front links are my only GOOD option as far as weight & COG.

I was also thinkin that if ya mounted that OTA link on TOP of the knucks...it'd give you more front end clearance. Any reasons why you chose under the arms?

I dig these kinda threads because it shows creative thinking to fix pretty common probs. Nice work.

J.D.
thank you sir..

Ill try and answer your questions best i can. if I could show you a pic of under the servo plate you would understand why I went UNDER the knucks. with the length of the tie-rod being what is is, if i mounted it on top, it would force the angle of the rod back/and up too far and hit the 3rd screw mount on the axle for the servo plate.
also i dont like to stack the drag link and the tie-rod on the knuckle so under for the rod and over for the drag link. make any sense?
preference really!!

I could make a shorter rod and less bend and mount up top. so if thats how you wanted to do yours you could.

BUT id doesnt get in the way out in the knuckle area anyway. nothing ever hits there for me. YET!!
and i dont normally run those wide set wheels WITH the widners so the wheels cover more than whats in the pics. thats just for show!!

and I run a 1250mah 100c 2s and it fits nicely in front strapped up above the upper links to the chassis. no interference. i also do have some 350-450 and 500mah batteries that are fine but I dont comp much so i like long run times.

I also have a 1300 3s nanotech i run in the rear when i take it out to the beach or camping. slides right between the rails!!

this rig weights in at exactly 2lbs 8oz's and thats with rear knuck weights and heavy wheels f/r.. could be a 2lb or less rig I think easy if i were to comp it. the titanium links and aluminum lockers and tiny motor help.

Ill try and post some more pics of this rig so check back. but if you see the SECOND and second to last pic you see the battery mounted.

thanks for posting!

Last edited by AxialJeepster; 10-14-2012 at 01:08 AM.

new steering on the new PRO/ OTA steering mod axialjeepster - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MRC Pro OTA/BTA Steering Options? alexchen86 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 08-06-2011 12:11 AM
Mrc pro steering links jeepster73 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 06-06-2011 03:01 PM
BTA steering pro or con teamvaladezhobb Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 02-20-2009 02:59 AM