Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: New to mrc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Default New to mrc

I really like the bug style carbon fiber chassis. What's a good one and where do I find it? I'm not doing comps but just having fun with friends. The stock steering sucks.

I want a killer crawler so let the list of must haves begin.
09bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Fifth dimension

Default Re: New to mrc

There are not many options bud. Maybe 2 or 3 guys making chassis for this right now.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #3

Is it worth going to the cf chassis? What do I need to make this thing steer better and what are people running for servos? I'd also like to do the rear steer
Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

XR steering is the big thing. My thread has it, Blib, Crawllife, MRCcrackhead, Chris Martell, etc, etc.. Check it out. We all did it a little diff too. So you can pick which way you like or what you can do with what you have.
I run a 7950 in mine. With the XR mod, comes a need for a better servo (it doesn't have to be 400+oz but atleast 300+) IMO..

Any CF or aftermarket chassis, above and beyond the CF pro mrc chassis, is all in what you want and like.. A mrc pro chassis won Nats, more then once in the last few years..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I agree.

XR steering and the pro chassis would be a great platform to build on.

Beyond that it's more taste and style than function.

The geometry of the pro is the base for many cool chassis.

Awesome steering is just logical....
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

This sounds dumb but is the rx mod a kit or just parts off other crawlers used.

Where would one find the pro chassis?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, the XR mod is a mod.. The only bolt on piece, right now, is CtBM adapters. Crawllife has them in his thread.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I thought he called them "Wrapters" ? Did he start selling them ? I'm definetly getting a set !
daver18qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I think it's Blib that it thinking of..
Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver18qc View Post
I thought he called them "Wrapters" ? Did he start selling them ? I'm definetly getting a set !
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
I think it's Blib that it thinking of..
No it's Dravpnir not Blib....
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
Sul
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
There are not many options bud. Maybe 2 or 3 guys making chassis for this right now.
So who are these guys?? I'm not finding a lot available right now... At least outside of the used market. I've got a chaotic crawlers bodiless chassis on a mrc I just picked up but I'm not into the bodiless thing. A bug body is going on it, I'm just trying to choose a new chassis, so that put me in the same boat as bumblebee.

That being said bumblebee09 I may have a chassis that you'd be interested in up for grabs at some point soon...
Sul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
XR steering is the big thing. My thread has it, Blib, Crawllife, MRCcrackhead, Chris Martell, etc, etc.. Check it out. We all did it a little diff too. So you can pick which way you like or what you can do with what you have.
I run a 7950 in mine. With the XR mod, comes a need for a better servo (it doesn't have to be 400+oz but atleast 300+) IMO..

Any CF or aftermarket chassis, above and beyond the CF pro mrc chassis, is all in what you want and like.. A mrc pro chassis won Nats, more then once in the last few years..
Let's not forget that the Pro chassis has World Championship DNA (2009 1.9 class World Champ for the prototype). I would never go anywhere but the stock Pro chassis for basher crawling. And for steering try the Level3 RC aluminum tie rod for fun crawling. I've been very happy with its "no slop" design. And definitely go with a standard size servo and a Castle Creations BEC for steering. A full size is overkill for having fun. You don't need to break the bank just to have fun. If I went the competition route, I'd invest in all the big boys are running. But I'm like you...just having fun.
ClovisCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #13

What about links are people making them or buying them? I see the rears are bent at 45 degrees or so for clearance. What about tires and wheels. Are the stock 1.9? Doesn't look like it. I run 2.2s on my g6.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

The MRC has real 1.9 wheels, although not beadlock i think.
Most 1.9 wheels with a 12mm hex drive will fit, if they are not too deep (could it the steering arm)

Links, you can make them yourself using some small steel rod you buy at the hardware store, then make some thread on it.
You can also buy pre-made bent links, any self-respecting hobby shop should have some in stock.
Some may be too long or too short for your model, so make sure you measure before you buy or be prepared to change your link positon on the chassis.

Heavy wheels work great, the more stuff you put on your front axle (battery, esc, receiver) the better it will work for crawling.

Car tire shops can sell you strips of adhesive wheel weights for a couple of dollars that you can wrap inside your rims and tape before putting the tire back on, that's a cheap alternative to comercial rc wheel weights.
daver18qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #15

I'm a mechanic so I get wheel weights all day long for free. About the only thing that contributes to this hobby haha. I did that to my g6 build worked great. The stock rtr mrc is really top heavy. I think I'll make some links out of aluminum.