Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: MRC Pro Shock Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default MRC Pro Shock Parts

Took the mini out again this afternoon.

I had two shocks pop off the balls at the top.

One rear, and one front, at different times.

I'm a bit concerned, of course, as I don't know if the plastic top parts are available anymore.

My guess is that they're a bit worn out and loose.

Can't have that happen during a comp.

Anybody know if they're available, or another alternative?
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: MRC Pro Shock Parts

The MRC Pro rebuild kit is LOSB1438. Search Google for the part number. They are getting damn hard to find, but CAN still be found. Stock up, or move to an M3 shock and be done. Dravpnir did some nice shortened SCX10 shocks, maybe he cares to share a few details?
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Ahah!

Vaterra aluminum shocks for Slick Rock-VTR313001

Vaterra rebuild kit- VTR313000
Old 06-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Ahah!

Vaterra aluminum shocks for Slick Rock-VTR313001

Vaterra rebuild kit- VTR313000
Brilliant!

I just sat down to search Slick Rock parts, hoping they were the same shocks.

You beat me to it.

Thank you.

So glad that littler bugger was released. New parts are very nice.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Not available, yet.

Bummer.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

That makes it much easier to build a set to the length I need as well. Now I need to find 2x threaded aluminum Mini T shock sets and the Vaterra aluminum shock rebuild kit, which appear to be on pre-order currently. Eventually though, I will be trying to find something short to match with M3 threads on both ends. Afraid I can't quite shorten up SCX10 shocks that far without getting into re-threading shock shafts myself. Wandering about front Mini 8ight shock shafts/pistons inside a shortened SCX shock body with Traxxas steel balls pressed into both ends?

I have both sets of shocks on my workbench at the shop actually. I'll get some measurements tomorrow. Bore sizes, lengths, travel, and how far the SCX bodies have to be machined down to match.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I've often wondered, with all the shock shafts available, if there was a shorter one off the shelf available.

Cut the top of the shock body off, and put the shorter shaft in, and you're done.

Dravpnir did explain how he built his really well.

He threaded the shafts, I believe, and then cut some threads off.

I have scx shocks laying around, and have thought of shortening a set just to get 3mm ends.

It bums me out that I just got the darn thing running, only to start building on it again....lol

Not only that, but I've had little success building scx shocks that didn't leak.

That's why I put the big bores on my sporty; got tired of leaky shocks.

Last edited by MRCrackhead; 06-03-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Check out the thread by Hulksta on another board. REALLY good write-up on a proper SCX shock build. Haven't tried it yet. Link stolen from Dravpnir's thread actually...

Crawl ANZ - View topic - Pro rig shock Tech

I'll definitely be looking into the SCX/M8 combo though. IIRC, the M8 has around 15mm travel on the front shafts. The M8 bodies are ALL WRONG for a crawler though. Some kind of hybrid is possible.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
DravTech

If you want I can see if I can pick up a couple sets of new SCX10 shocks and mod them for you.
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
E.Y. Designs

I will be selling Ti shock shafts soon for Big Bores and SCX10 shocks... I have a set of SCX shafts that are short for my MRC build... I can have a set made for you if you're interested...
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #11
RCC Addict

^Short Ti shock shafts? I'll take two sets if you can wait a bit. PM me...purdy please.

Dravpnir, thanks for the offer, but it sounds like Everett is on to something here. If his solution works I may only have to mod the bodies themselves, which is no big deal. If I'm going that far, I may just go all out and mod/shorten a set of Egressor SCX10 Delrin shock bodies (RCbros has them).
Old 06-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #12
RCC Addict

MRCrackhead, like I said, I work at a hobby shop. I'll look in the BOXES and BOXES of old Losi stock we have if you're interested. I know I saw at least 5 bags of the lower cartridges (LOSB1113), so I'm sure a whole rebuild kit has to be in there somewhere. At least one. Watch for a PM tomorrow afternoon...

Last edited by 89redranger; 06-04-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
MRCrackhead, like I said, I work at a hobby shop. I'll look in the BOXES and BOXES of old Losi stock we have if you're interested. I know I saw at least 5 bags of the lower cartridges (LOSB1113), so I'm sure a whole rebuild kit has to be in there somewhere. At least one. Watch for a PM tomorrow afternoon...
Thanks man. Let me know what you find.

I'm actually building another mini for a co-worker, his first crawler, so I'll need a set for that rig too.......dig deep!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
If you want I can see if I can pick up a couple sets of new SCX10 shocks and mod them for you.
Wow, thanks for the offer. I'll need a set of Wrapters for the rear axle to convert to 3mm anyway. Let's talk, PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
I will be selling Ti shock shafts soon for Big Bores and SCX10 shocks... I have a set of SCX shafts that are short for my MRC build... I can have a set made for you if you're interested...
Heck yea I'm interested, I've got scx shocks sitting around collecting dust. Maybe I'll give them one more try. PM Sent.

Good to have vendors making cool parts for the mini again.

I'm not used to having any options, let alone two really sweet options such as these.

Mini-Nirvana.......lol
Old 06-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
RCC Addict

No luck on the rebuild kits man...dug through 5 boxes of Losi stuff. Only thing I found that would apply to the MRC are those lower cartridges and some plastic RTR parts. Sorry! Leaves me building a set of shocks sooner than I had thought as well.

Picking up stock SCX shocks from a buddy tonight. I'll get the rebuild parts Hulksta recommends, some Axial machined pistons, and an M3 die from work tomorrow. The bodies and shafts will get a little love from the lathe while I'm there, then I'll re-thread the stock SCX shafts for the time being (unless M8 shafts fit), and I have a few bags of mini t/mrc springs to play with. Eventually I would like to spend a little more on shocks, and end up with a REALLY smooth set. Just not in the budget ATM. If I have any luck I'll get a thread posted up or add it to my existing thread.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Just curious if anyone has tried to use 1/16 Revo spring seats on the Losi shocks? I just picked up a used MRC and the front shocks are missing the lower seats. I'm trying to find something off the shelf that might work, making parts that small on a lathe is a PIA for me.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Just curious if anyone has tried to use 1/16 Revo spring seats on the Losi shocks? I just picked up a used MRC and the front shocks are missing the lower seats. I'm trying to find something off the shelf that might work, making parts that small on a lathe is a PIA for me.
Don't know about the Revo parts; but PM me your address and I'll mail you a pair to get you by.

I've got a few extra kicking around here somewhere.

I'll be working in Hunt Valley tomorrow if you can blow off work for a couple of spring cups; seems like a good reason to me.....lol. I'll bring them along.

Welcome to the club (or welcome back, whichever the case may be).
Old 06-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Along these same lines, I have a set of MRC Pro shocks that I used the tops off of for my Late Model shocks on my Low Pro build. So I have a set of four MRC Pro shock bodies, shafts, springs, cups, and rod ends (sort of) that I can't use because I don't have the shock caps & ball mounts. Suggestions?

Also, anyone know what size the ball studs on the MRC are? I'm in need of four of these as well for my Low Pro and would like to try to source them locally without having to take the ones I have off my axle so I can take them in to my LHS.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCrackhead View Post
Don't know about the Revo parts; but PM me your address and I'll mail you a pair to get you by.

I've got a few extra kicking around here somewhere.

I'll be working in Hunt Valley tomorrow if you can blow off work for a couple of spring cups; seems like a good reason to me.....lol. I'll bring them along.

Welcome to the club (or welcome back, whichever the case may be).
PM'd the info. This is my first one. I liked them when the were new, but I was already running 2 comp classes and a scaler, I didn't need another distraction at the time.

I snagged this one in hopes to make a mini-scaler using a 1/12th scale WJ body.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Seems like you guys need Mr. V's balls!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote