Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My Rock Roadster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My Rock Roadster

Not really sure what to call this build but here it goes. This is my first MRC, obviously going with the comp style, unfortunately I don't think anyone around me still drives these but I think they're cool. I recently got some new CAD software and needed to get used to it's interface so I figured I'd build a few chassis for myself, this is the first one I came up with. The chassis spacers are the same width as the losi rod end so if you need more adjustment this location can serve a dual purpose. Both the hood and roof have integrated spacers to keep the total parts to a minimum.

Specs will be as follows:
metal lockers
1.9 "boss claws" (had a set sitting around forever I need to do something with)
Custom 3d printed cage, hood, roof, etc,
Mamba Micro
Whatever that x380 heli motor is everyone talks about
Hobbico CS-150 (also sitting in the parts bin, seems more than adequate)
450mah 2s lipo

And since everyone on here knows what a stock MRC is I'll spare the photos. This is the chassis design I came up with. Yep, it looks like every other comp rig out there, there's probably good reason for that... But estimated weight came in at .14 lbs not including hardware. I'll have one of the 3d printing companies make me up one of these in the next few days and post results when it all comes in.

Question if anyone gets this far, if I run the upper links inboard on the lower chassis plates will I have enough angle on my 4 link to keep it centered or will it float? This is assuming that they're as close as possible under the rear of the servo like a just about every front 4 link mount has. I know the stock 3 link mounts to the outside but I don't like maxing out rod ends on misalignment, even if they're the bent style.

Comments/Criticism welcome

Teaser:

Last edited by DrewHammer; 08-25-2014 at 03:36 AM.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My Rock Roadster

From what I've built and tested inboarding the uppers will still provide rigidity and stop side to side movement. I like the spoiler. Looks like a clean design: as simple as it can get but no simpler.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStorm View Post
From what I've built and tested inboarding the uppers will still provide rigidity and stop side to side movement. I like the spoiler. Looks like a clean design: as simple as it can get but no simpler.
Thanks, I had to do something after realizing that it looks like just about every other comp style chassis out there. After thinking about it for the past 12 hours I want to see what I can do to get the weight down on the chassis. 2.25 oz is actually fairly heavy compared with my DNA slingshot.

I got it uploaded to shapeways earlier today and was about to order it up when I got to thinking about the weight. The bulk of the material is currently on the roof since it has integrated braces and whatnot to help keep this thing stiff, maybe I can cut it down some.

Also, thanks MountainStorm for the link info. I really just didn't want them outboard so it's less stuff to snag on in the rocks. A small button head is nothing compared to a rod end.

Now just to start on wheels since I can't have the same thing as everyone else...
Old 10-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well, almost 2 months later and I finally made some progress. While trying to find a local company with a 3d printer to make these parts for me I stumbled across a guy that just became a retailer for Makerbot. Low and behold he was looking for someone to do some design work and learn some about the printers and next thing I know I'm visiting this guys shop every few days printing stuff. Now that we've got the bugs worked out I've been given the opportunity to take a Replicator 2X home to really dive into some alternate slicing software.

So, the 2x got set up this weekend and the prints started. I believe I ran almost 36 hours in 2 days and this is some of what I've done. This is 100% infill, ABS on 300 micron layers, quality seems decent and it's very stong, In addition to that I can make any of these parts in less than an hour. I'm waiting on some nylon filament to show up but I doubt I'll need to reprint these.

I need to redo the front 4 link for some more clearance, and fix the shock angles but it's back to being a roller. Next up I'll print some wheels and get some new rovers for it. Played around last night with my twin hammers wheels/tires but these will never work.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty cool with the hood scoop and the rear wing!

Other then the new wheels an tires.. The only help I can throw at ya, is shorten ur front upper links and get the servo level..

How's the steering with the big tires?
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Looks pretty cool with the hood scoop and the rear wing!

Other then the new wheels an tires.. The only help I can throw at ya, is shorten ur front upper links and get the servo level..

How's the steering with the big tires?
Non existent. The big tires were only me playing around because my rovers are worn out. I'll be switching back to them when I actually drive.

The links are way off to correct pinion angle with a different ride height. I'll get the links squared away and the servo leveled out in the next few days. Thanks Winnerone23 for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

My Rock Roadster - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ejohnsons Wraithzilla Roadster ejohnson 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 05-31-2015 07:40 PM
Ford Deuce Roadster darknox Chit Chat 2 10-26-2009 11:14 AM