Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Slick Rock Geometry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Slick Rock Geometry

So I just installed a set of Axial beadlocks and 1.9 TSLs on my son's SR, along with a set of RC4WD wideners to keep the tires away from the body. Two things:

1. Suspension geometry is horrible! It was anyway, but seems worse now. When moving forward the entire body rolls left. When in reverse, it rolls right. About to upgrade to some MRCP shocks to help with that. My question is what can be done to switch it to a 4-link rather than the shitty Y-link they have on it now? The connection at the axles is the same as it was on the MRC, but at the body/frame, it's really wide. Anyone fixed that yet?

2. Now that I have wideners on it, the steering is almost non-existent. The thing has no turn radius now. Any way to fix that, or am I stuck just removing the wideners?

Whatcha' got RCC Mini Gurus?????
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Slick Rock Geometry

Really? 52 views and not 1 reply? C'mon guys! Somebody has to know something.......
Old 12-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hello Sh0rtbus,

First, the standard shocks aren`t that bad. It`s more their position on the axle. You can move the shocks outward. You have to buy some longer screws and make some spacers or you can buy the kit: LOSB1446.

Next would be to remove some shock travel. Open the shock, remove the piston and put some tubing (about 4mm long) on the shaft inside the housing. Now the shock can`t move out full travel anymore. This reduces although the ride height and center of gravity.

Four link: You can easily build some links and attach them to the servo plates on the axle. I will post some pics later.

For better steering, I would go for the Losi CVDs, but they are discontinued. It`s a shame, they were great. There are still some CVDs from 3Racing available. Maybe you give them a try. You can also buy some zero ackerman knuckles for the Losi MRC. Knuckles and CVDs should improve your steering.

Hope this helps,
Stollenritter
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So here comes a pic showing self made upper links:

Name:  MRC upper links.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  171.9 KB

Attachment point on the frame is the same as before. Attachment point on the axle is below the servo plate. I just drilled two 3mm holes in each outward corner of the servo plate for attaching the rod ends using M3 screws. The links are slightly s-bend to pass the shocks. If the links are fixed on the inside of the chassis, straight links should work also.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
RCC Addict

It might work that way. But the thing is, the Slick Rock chassis is quite a bit different. The mainly issue is the way the shocks are mounted. But maybe if I outboard them at the axle it'll create enough space to put two upper links rather than the Y-link.

As for the knuckles, I'm running the Losi aluminum knuckles already. May have to see if I can locate a set of CVDs, though. I may just end up ditching the tires and installing the Chisels of my MRC and then picking up a set of Rover reds for mine. That would allow me to do away with the wideners altogether.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yes, the SL is different. But not too much.
I would still opt for outboard shocks and reduced shock travel (slightly drooped). This is easily done and helps a lot (due to improved leverage on the shocks/springs, you get a "progressive" effect which helps with the body roll).
There are different (aluminium) knuckles available: standard, zero Ackerman and high steer zero Ackerman.
Again, zero Ackerman and (3Racing-) CVDs are the easiest way to go for better steering. Big tires are a little bit tricky, because they tend to rub the springs.
I`ve got rovers on my own MRC. They are smaller than the 1.9 TSLs but work fine.
Making your own links for replacing the Y-link is tricky but will achieve the best outcome. We will see what you come up with

Here`s a pic of mine with the rovers:

Name:  MRC Rovers.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  81.3 KB
Old 12-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Guess I need to break down and buy a small tubing bender, huh? I will likely change out the shocks anyway because I can't stand the stock plastic crap that's on there now. And one is leaking anyway, so it's time to upgrade. I mean, my kid is 5 and just learning, but I want him to have a good rig to learn on and love being able to upgrade it with him. In a couple more years, he'll be learning to wrench on it by himself.

Here's my personal MRC, shown w/o the EverettY brass knuckles. It's currently down waiting for me to fab up steering links.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Nice Mini! You are right, your son`s rig should be capable or he will get frustrated and loses interest. Or he insists in driving yours. Same over here
For slightly bended links you don`t have to go for a tubing bender. A vise and some wood will do it.

Greetings,
Stollenritter
Old 12-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Come to think of it.....I think I have a plate for the rear axle that will accommodate upper links.....
Old 12-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
RCC Addict

So I think I figured out a solution for the upper links. I have a spare BWD servo plate that I've installed on the rear axle that should provide a good mounting point for the upper links. Need to get another one for the front and then some steel rod to fab up the links. Will report back once I have it built.

Slick Rock Geometry - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
intro/ slick rock MCE Jason Newbie General 5 01-28-2015 01:29 PM
My Slick Rock jp_rey 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-11-2014 07:24 PM
slick rock build SLYKY09 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 42 06-10-2014 02:04 PM