Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Go Fast Transmission for Vaterra Slickrock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Go Fast Transmission for Vaterra Slickrock?

Hi All,

I have a spare brushed esc from an old mini-highroller and a spare insane 370 brushed motor that I've installed in my slickrock but due to overall gearing it's still pretty slow.

does anyone know of a more or less directly swappable transmission that can be used here?

I'm not looking for crazy speed, just a little faster than a straight crawler.

Thanks for any tips!
twomicros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Go Fast Transmission for Vaterra Slickrock?

I'm not familiar with the transmission in the losi high roller but if it's similar to the losi mini T trans you can make some mounting holes on the slick rock transmission mount. Then take a part the slick rock trans to get the locker and output shafts out to install in the other you may need to do a little dremeling to get everything to fit.
T_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I don't have the mini-high roller anymore. plus that was only 2wd so I don't know it it would work the same for this 4wd vehicle.

do you know if the transmission from a 1/14 losi rally or even 1/16 mini e-revo would work?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I believe the mini rally uses a pinion/spur at the center shaft and gets reduction from the diffs, not much of a tranny.
The locker from the Slickrock transmission won't fit in the Mini T trans. Hot Racing makes a locker for the Mini LST and Mini T but it is for dogbone-style diff cups (Hot Racing MLT38X Aluminum Locked Spool Transmission Gear - 1/18 Mini Vehicles | eBay). The Mini T and Mini LST transmissions have quite a bit less reduction (don't have the numbers sorry).

I used a Mini LST tranny for my 1/18 RC4WD Gelande D90. I'm using 9/62 gearing so it's not too fast but I believe it's meant for 22/54. I made some output shafts (3mm) out of stainless, maybe you could make something similar, but 4mm? Would definitly give you some wheel speed.

I wonder if you could just use the Mini LST 54t spur (Hot Racing Losi Mini LST Power Up 54t Steel Gear SMLT4854T | eBay a larger pinion to get the speed you need.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

thanks for the info and suggestions! I have some spare mini spur gears leftover from when I used to have a mini-8 so I'll see if those fit. Maybe between the smallest spur and largest pinion I can find it'll give me some decent wheel speed.

essentially I want to make a mini rock racer kind of thing that can also climb over some trail stuff. it won't be anywhere near a straight crawler but I don't have any technical stuff near me anyways. I know that axial just made some 1/18 minis but the jury's still out on their quality and if they need to be upgraded.

Go Fast Transmission for Vaterra Slickrock? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Slickrock AZDIGGER Newbie General 2 08-04-2016 07:31 PM
Vaterra slickrock thabeast2002 Newbie General 2 07-28-2015 09:26 PM
new vaterra Slickrock gotmike General Crawlers 8 06-07-2015 02:53 PM
let's see your vaterra slickrock southernoregontoyota Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 12-02-2014 12:22 PM