Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: New Polaris RZR Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2023, 12:03 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default New Polaris RZR Rey

Losi dropped a new vehicle on a modified version of the Rey platform and at $620 USD the internet seems to really hate it. I have mixed feelings so I'm here to be a ridiculous R/C nerd and discuss some of the criticisms I've seen.

1. "It looks like a Walmart toy."
I've seen this comment the most. It's interesting because I think what this is getting at is some Walmart R/C's actually look more scale and detailed than some hobby grade R/C's. Think New Bright; they're complete junk but nicely detailed. So the fact that it has a lot of plastic details does make it similar to Walmart toys, but maybe that's actually a criticism of the general lack of detail in hobby grade R/Cs.

2. "It's only 3S. For that price I could get a 6S car."
This is true. It makes me wonder how much of the value proposition for buyers is based on the motor and ESC rating. Is it the first thing they look for even in scale realistic vehicles? I don't actually know.

3. "That's a lot of money for a 1/10 scale"
Losi is calling this a 1/10 scale, but these are small vehicles in real life so the true scale is more like 1/5 or 1/6. True 1/10 scale would mean it could go on a trailer behind a trail truck, but it's WAY too big for that. Manufacturer's scales are all over the place and have lost meaning. Does it make sense that this 1/10 UTV is roughly the same size as Losi's own 1/10 LMT monster truck?

In conclusion, I have no conclusion. This isn't the type of thing I would buy but the controversy is interesting. I dig the independent trailing arm rear suspension because you don't see it often in R/C and it took effort compared to just reusing the straight axle, so Losi isn't just phoning it in. It's not a cheap cash grab, but $620 still feels like a lot of dough.

TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2023, 12:32 PM   #2

Default Re: New Polaris RZR Rey

It isn't my style at all, but the trailing arm suspension is neat and the fact that the body comes off easily is way better than the Baja/Rock/Hammer Reys. I just wish they would update some of the driveline components to be more robust so I could use the parts on my Rock Rey. The diffs are 1/10 scale and undersized for the large tires they put on the reys.

Overall it is neat if you like the side by side look, but I can't believe they keep re-using the rey platform with no updates.
SpareParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 02:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

This ins't my thing but I can appreciate what they've done.

What I found even more interesting is that HemiStorm quite literally just scratch built his "Losi Polarey" which was a bit of an early april fools gag. I doubt this had anything to do with the actual release but it is an interesting coincidence.

For those that missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFZCXVE_k_w

As for the 2s vs 6s for a basher debate I'll take a 2-3s over a 6s anyday. I prefer not to destroy my tires in handfull of runs and lower voltage can be stupid fast too.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-17-2023 at 02:25 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 02:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

if i had that kinda money around i would get or maybe build one but im already spent more than i make in a year on these damb things and have to many builds going on to take on somethin else but i really like them i saw them at the hammers i thought they were the newbright bodys though as soon as i saw the video i was ahh thats what those were

Last edited by ferp420; 02-17-2023 at 02:37 PM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 02:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the walmart thing. The detailing and body lines on some of those toy-grade RCs is better than many ( most?) lexan bodies. I think ppl just like to find issues with everything these days and spout off about it on social media.

And regarding the whole "6S is faster so must be better" thing is lame... at least to me. My Slash is WAY faster than my Stampede but honestly I like driving my stampede more because it's just more fun, has better run time, and gets much higher air with less damage afterwards.

Cool rig... looks like it would be fun to drive.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I think it's really cool, from the looks to the trailing arm suspension. I think Losi knocked it out of the park with this model.

But I do think it's priced too high. I bought two Tamiya BBXs for less than this one model. Once electronics are into those BBXs, they'll still have come out cheaper than one RZR Rey.

And while this doesn't seem to matter much to others, this makes sense to me; scale price.

A Traxxas UDR ($700) is a scale version of a million dollar rig. A RZR Rey ($600) is a scale version of a $40,000 rig. I don't want to pay roughly the same price for both models.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 08:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
And while this doesn't seem to matter much to others, this makes sense to me; scale price.

A Traxxas UDR ($700) is a scale version of a million dollar rig. A RZR Rey ($600) is a scale version of a $40,000 rig. I don't want to pay roughly the same price for both models.
Interesting concept, I haven't heard of that before but it makes sense. I imagine there would be some guys who drive RZRs in real life and would like a "mini-me" version, but for the same money everyone else would go for the model of the more expensive thing.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

A VW beetle body would look titts on that!
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
^^^This is the only thing that interests me at all here, mainly because I find watching 1:1 side-by-side rigs boring as heck.

When MadRam11 and Busted Knuckle show them in their YouTube clips I fast-forward until they get to the regular rigs.

Why on EARTH would I want a scale version?

Obviously, I'm not in the target group for this product.

But a VW bug version would ROCK...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:08 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Aww crap, you're right. Must avoid looking up the wheelbase to find out how easy it might be to plop on one of those Proline Slash bug bodies. Nope, I don't need this as a project, not even gonna look
Old 02-18-2023, 07:55 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I think it's way cool... that rear suspension is sexy. Overall not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the engineering and willingness to do something different.

Price is what it is. Everything's going up. Hell, $420 or so just for an Axial roller. $300 for a Tamiya 2WD buggy kit. $620 for a large RTR is right in line. Get used to it!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:21 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The WB is in natural Horizon fashion, it's own thing: 363mm. Based on the WB of an actual RZR, it's damn near exactly 1/7 scale.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:46 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
The WB is in natural Horizon fashion, it's own thing: 363mm. Based on the WB of an actual RZR, it's damn near exactly 1/7 scale.
THIS!!!

The Polaris RZR Pro R has a WB of 104.5", and the Losi "scale replica" is 14.3".

It's actually a LONGER wheelbase than the Axial 1/10th Gladiator - which is damn near EXACTLY 1/10th scale.

(13.9" for the R/C, 137.3" for the real deal)

The width is also totally off - 11.4" for the Losi, 9.25" for the Gladiator.

I've given up on manufacturers being the least bit accurate in designating what scale their releases are.

Anyways - HemiStorm, build a Bug conversion!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:43 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Yeah, you really have to be familiar with a certain brand to have an idea of what 1:10 scale means to them.

Tamiya, Axial and Losi each differ greatly in what 1:10 means. Tamiya's 1:10 models are great for my smaller children. Losi's 1:10 LMT is massive, easily big enough for any adult to enjoy.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

We have to remember that Losi is the company that with a straight face calls the Hammer Rey 1/10th scale. Because of course a real-world 1:1 equivalent would be 10 feet wide and have a 17 foot wheelbase.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:00 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
The Polaris RZR Pro R has a WB of 104.5", and the Losi "scale replica" is 14.3".
COMPLETELY off topic, my 2023 Jeep 2 door has a shorter wheelbase and the real kicker, cost less than one of these 1:1 things. The SXS market is crazy.

On topic, the RC version looks great compared to the real thing, would never buy it because I absolutely hate SXS's but I'm sure owners of the 1:1 will buy them since they seem to have loads of money they don't know what to do with, lol.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:12 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I'd take the ugly off, and replace it with something better looking, and adjust the wheelbase for the Planet toys 1/6 Herbie bug.

I think this "chassis" would also convert to a nice sandrail.

Last edited by Gula; 02-19-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 10:11 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I like the rear suspension. But I don't think this will sell well. Im a long-time Losi fan, but this is a very odd choice for investment for them. My main complaint with Losi over the last 10 years... is frequently and quickly discontinuing items.

That should be enough to make them re-think strategy. Perhaps this is mostly Horizon's fault.
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:07 PM   #19
RCC Addict

You guys are missing the boat. This caters to the Glamis, Coos Bay, Michigan dunes and desert race/KOH crowd. I bet they sell the heck out of them to those markets, NOT the crawler crowd. I can’t justify the price as stated above, but would take one in a heartbeat. Races soon to follow if they market it right. That was the problem with the Baja Rey at its conception, they just wanted to bash it, not desert race it. I could see dealers offering them as incentive items to placate the kids as dad gets a new toy 1:1. As for scale, I don’t think there is anything true to scale, except for, perhaps, the Capo (spelling?) stuff. My .02 says good call, caters to an untouched segment of off-roading that dump a lot of money into their SXS rigs. Mini me time.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:09 PM   #20

While I myself personally hate it I think theres going to be a lot of people that actually buy them and end up loving them. The people that I think is going to end up buying and liking them are your typical SxS owners. Do feel its a bit overpriced and is most certainly scaled wrong.
RecklessTrent91 is offline   Reply With Quote

New Polaris RZR Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/5 polaris RZR axial Rock solid 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 11-30-2020 11:56 PM
Washracers polaris RZR build washracer_11 Non Crawler RC's 11 01-25-2013 10:32 PM