Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Louisiana

Notices

Thread: Why no club in LA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed
Default Why no club in LA

So,i was looking at all the clubs affiliated with each separate state,and it got me to thinking.Louisiana needs a united one state club for anything scale or comp crawling related.Pretty much every state has a club.We need to get noticed and be an established group.The main issue i see is mileage distance from northern LA to southern LA.I know that in North LA we have only five dedicated scaler enthusiast(and one actually lives in south Ark) I know i have seen several names pop up on this forum but they are a one poster and then they are gone .Probably because of low visits to this section.It also has alot to do with the lack of hobby shops in any given area.The one in West Monroe moved to Shreveport,the one in Alexandria shut down and who knows what the status is in South LA.Luckily there are several in the Shreveport area,but none really cater to the rock crawling crowd.In my day job i have to drive to Lafayette occasionally and visited a Hobbytown as well as BigBoyToys and they have the typical ,if you dont have a part number,i cant help you attitude.I also know there was a mom and pop place in Baton Rouge called HobbyTowne (with an E on the end) but not sure what crawler stuff they have.But we as crawler enthusiast get around that.We order online.I know,i know....people say internet is killing small businesses but in order to continue to enjoy the hobby and at a fair price,we HAVE to utilize online ordering.Be it as it may,I personnaly would like to see a LA based club.
As crawling spots go,we in north LA have "Jims pit" and i am putting an area together that is acres of dirt,water obstacles,and mud.But neither place really have true rocks or rock formation so we make due.Years ago there was a member on the La section that stated the Kitsacthie National Forest around Natchitoches was a good crawl spot.So if you live in the state of LA,post up new places you have found to get together.Also if you would be interested in a dedicated LA club,post up.......time to discuss amongst yourselves.
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #2

Default Re: Why no club in LA

I live in New Iberia. We have zero hobby shops here. I have been to big boy toys for parts for my mini e-revo. They have tons of Traxxas parts. Now i have an axial wraith. I went there for a new spur and pinion. they sold me the wrong pinion. the spur gear ate it up like nothing. Needles to say all my wraith parts come from ebay. There is no place that i know of for crawlers around here, so i make do with the backyard crawling. The reason probably for no clubs is the type of work people do. I for one am a tug boat captain. I work 14-14. some may work 14-7, 20-10, or 28-14. Just a theory.
CajunDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Me and a couple of guys in Baton Rouge and New Orleans hook up once a month if possible at Hooper Walking trail. We was having the same thoughts and we are just about finished with a name and logo. Must of us are hard core scle heads with multiple rigs as well. Building a course now in my backyard 10 x 20 ft needing more rocks and work but good for a test drive no matter what I drive from out the garage
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:50 AM   #4

I recently moved to Shreveport from Ohio and I belonged to a group called the Ohio Scale Trail Gurus and I was hoping to find a group around here. I looked but like you noticed there really isn't much, I saw a group in East Texas but it would be nice to have a northern Louisiana group or Louisiana as a whole
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:19 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Bought a ton and a quarter of limestone rip-rap (5 to 75lb rocks) and some cinder blocks to make my own coupla Micro Crawler sections on the front screened porch in LP a few years ago. Nobody interested enough to spend a few bucks on 'em around here. And the coupla younger (20s-30s) guys that expressed any interest only want to see how fast they can go up a ramp and how far they'll fly off the end of it. There are a few decent rubble piles (busted concrete, asphalt, dirt and gravel) spread around, that the farmers collect for erosion control on ditch banks, that can be fun to crawl too. One close by is an uneven ~70' L x 40' W x 15' H and been there a few years. They take some away and add some back every now and then.

Here's a short vdo of a Micro Wedge at the top of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qSXlyFnGs

And a modded Losi Trekker at the bottom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVRu6Idff9E

Last edited by anuthabubba; 08-14-2016 at 02:28 AM.
anuthabubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well, sadly, I think we all know many of the reasons why we have no crawling in south Louisiana. So, we just have keep trying and do our best with what we got....which means often we just have to enjoy the hobby by ourselves and with some online forums like this. I'm in Abita Springs and enjoy micro crawling. Made some nice back porch and back yard courses with man made and natural elements. That is part of the fun down here.....you have to make your courses!

In terms of shops, I have been going to Bayou Adventure in Lacombe. Mostly basher and buggy racing stuff. But the owner loves my crawler and I made him a mini course. He put some Redcat micro crawlers on order to sell. He's making a indoor buggy track. Maybe an indoor crawler course could be in the future.....who knows. In terms of natural terrain, I would say the live oak root structures down on the Mandeville lake front would be great. I'm planning on checking it out soon.
sethstiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Look up RC Outlaws group on Facebook. Monthly comps in Pass Christian, MS so probably the closest around for south LA.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Great! Will do for sure.
sethstiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Why no club in LA - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Hard Scaler Series Event #4 Club VS Club 2013-2014 JRock Competitions 59 03-01-2014 08:57 PM
Team L.E.R.K. presents Club VS. Club 1.9 Scaler Challenge info signups JRock Competitions 108 02-16-2012 01:43 PM
Team L.E.R.K. presents Club VS. Club 1.9 Scaler Challenge info finishline Competitions 94 02-03-2012 11:08 PM
Club Listings, Find your local club here! freetimecrawler Competitions 0 04-05-2011 04:56 PM