Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Louisiana

Notices

Thread: Going to LA This Weekend...Any Good LHS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Going to LA This Weekend...Any Good LHS?

Well I gotta head out for work this weekend driving through from Houston, TX stopping in Rayne, St. Gabriel, then staying in Baton Rouge for the night, and finally New Orleans.

So basically I'll be passing through south LA and will probably be going through Lafayette as well.

Any crawling spots or LHS to check out?

Thanks!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

http://www.bigboytoyslaf.com/index.html

I think they have a rock crawling area.
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I visited their shop but didn't see any rock crawling areas. They did have some SCX10 RTRs and an XR10 kit but that was about it. Mainly Traxxas and planes.

Plus I didn't bring my rigs anyway...ended up short on time.

Thanks though!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
On the lookout for Rocks

That's about what all Hobby shops have. That's what brings in the money.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hobby towne if your ever in baton rouge again. They have the normal traxxas gear, but also stock a few Taniya kits and some axial. Trucks now, they don't carry many parts for them. They also have a large selection of plastic models. If your into that. Mini/micro builders might like it.
truckerbuddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yeah a few HobbyTown's I visited in Texas have Tamiya kits every now and then. At the time I was looking for another CC-01.

I'll keep that in mind I may be in Baton Rouge again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The Hobby Towne i talked about is not affiliated with Hobby town usa. Notice the "e" at the end. They have been here before hobby usa was even a company. IN fact they had a hobby town usa here too, but they were forced to change thier name here to hobby usa. But i hear they are going out of buiesness.

Anyway.. Just wanted to clear up that they are not affiliated with the chain stores. A small family owned and run buisness.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #8

Hobby Towne on Airline in Baton Rouge has be open since the mid 70's. Hobby Town USA was originally opened in the mid 70's also and became a franchise in the mid 80's. All Hobby Town USA franchises are individually owned, just like all franchises. All Hobby Town USA locations I know of are family owned. Chain stores are not a franchise.

Hobby Town USA in Baton Rouge did have to change to Hobby USA. Hobby Towne have been registered with the state for many many years. Since the names were so close and in the same market, who ever registered it first gets to keep it. As for Hobby USA going out of business, last time I talked to the owner he was working on moving into a larger location.
CrawlinHTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykrawler View Post
Ive been there once,they have a big selection of stuff,but they seem kinda snooty to me.
I've never noticed it, but they are friends of the family, so I guess I will see it differently. The times I've been, they always seemed helpfull and friendly to every one who came in, but we can't have good days all the time.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Yeah a few HobbyTown's I visited in Texas have Tamiya kits every now and then. At the time I was looking for another CC-01.

I'll keep that in mind I may be in Baton Rouge again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!
Hey Alex!
I was out working or I'd have chimed in earlier. I'll be home through December so get in touch whenever you head back out. I'm an hour and a half from Baton Rouge at most. You know you're welcome at my place. Then you can tell the rest of the crew what they're missing.
We'll even feed ya.
I'm in the middle of moving and improving my rock garden, should be done by the time you slide out this way. Still plenty to crawl on as it sits even now though.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #11

Haven't ever seen anybody at the HobbyTowne in Baton Rouge being rude or anything like that. At worse just busy and trying to keep up with everybody. BTW, Hobby USA in Baton Rouge was looking for a larger location, I don't think they will be going out of business anytime soon.
CrawlinHTU is offline   Reply With Quote