Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Maine

Notices

Thread: S&G Racing Far Beyond Driven Build Log

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default S&G Racing Far Beyond Driven Build Log

(Bringing my build log over to this site , update by update. Starting with my first entry. July 6th 2012)
As I make new updates on rccars.com . They will be added here as well.
Truck Base : 1st gen Axial AX10 kit
Chassis: S&G Racing "Far Beyond Driven"
Body: HPI 1/8 79' F150 Super Cab
Radio System: Redcat Racing 2.4 ghz 3 channel
ESC: Novak EIGER
Motor(s):Novak Terra Claw 55t
Servo(s): Airtronics High Torque
Trans: Integy Ax10 Aluminum case with all metal gears
Shocks : Hot Racing External reservoir , Internal springs
Drive Shafts: Hot Racing, Metal
Axles: Stock AX10 kit
Tires: Proline Hammer
Wheels: (RTR ver.) Axial AX10 Scorpion (bead locks flipped Front to Back) With RC4WD wheel nut covers
WB:14"
Overall Width: 10 1/8"
Diff clearance: 1 1/8"
Center Chassis clearance: 3 3/16"
Overall height: 10 1/4"
Weight: unknown

After a lot of thinking about it and where I was heading with this , So what I have here is about 4 weeks of fab and just getting better with the solder. Brass and solder is really easy to work with if you take your time and think before you cut or bend anything. going to put up a few picks. This is a work in progress. Practice for a Full tube chassis for my clod grave digger some day when Im old...which is getting closer.

Androtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: S&G Racing Far Beyond Driven Build Log

Got the rear steer servo mounted on the frame last night. Little bit of bump steer but its looks so good i can learn to deal with it. More to come!!!

After some thought I decided I wasn't going to learn to live with the bump steer. Here's the freshly fabbed Pan hard bar. Anything you see that looks wrong please let me know . First time ive ever built a pan hard bar. I must have done it right . The bump steer is completely gone. Hope tomorrow to get to the front steering. Mount for the servo and a bell crank setup I saw on a comp crawler build. Wish I could remember where I saw it so I could give props.

Well..had to scrap the first pan hard bar. It would bottom out on the axle when the left rear shock was compressed about half stroke. New one clears Great. And looks better personally. Got the front servo mounted and the bell crank fabbed and everything put together.3" under the one tire on each axle. Had to add some weight to get the tires to touch completely . Good news ...no binding in the suspension . Tires just clear the body under full stuff. Got new shocks coming in the mail today I hope. So good chance another post later today.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Got a chance to get the body painted today. New shocks came in the mail yesterday. Still working the bugs out of them. Really like how they look. Really like the green anodized aluminum paint with the white. Also compliments the green of the suspension parts and trans.

Finally got my shock oil in the mail. Time to get these Hot Racing remote reservoir shocks filled and working. I went with the stiff silver internal springs in the shocks, and the black soft springs in the reservoirs. Running Associated 20w shock oil. Ive seen a few forums where people were saying these shocks were junk, or couldn't bleed out all the air. This is how I did it. Hope it helps someone out. I haven't trail tested yet. That's going to be a while. But as for on the bench , they seem to work as well as the stock Traxxas big bore shocks I had on it ,with less boing action at the top of the stroke. So far I like them. They look great on the truck. The only leak I've found, is if the reservoir is upside down. These aren't really made to be filled with oil. But I say it can be done. I welcome input. If your not a member of this site. I encourage you to join. Thanks for looking

Working on the rest of the frame finally. Support for floor pans later on. Used the left over bumper decals , and put them on the inside of the body. That way if the frame hits it wont scratch off the paint. Local hardware store finally got some more brass stock in today, so I cleaned them out . Found my stash of styrene from my big.. big box of plastic model stuff. Been wanting to put a tonoue cover on this bad boy. A little water proof double sided tape and its on there. No updates for a few days anyway, going to spend some time with the family and enjoy an Easter feast tomorrow. Have a safe and happy holiday.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Found some time since I couldn't seem to sleep last night. Down side of working nights. Tied up the other side of the frame got the front and rear bumpers on. Not sure I like the rear one.

As of right now im waiting on some materials . Since I don't have any updates for this truck. Thought me and my boy would take the Yoda and his Ridgecrest for a run and some crawling. The Ridgecrest came out on top. Nothing broke, no loose screws. I hear they are notorious for that. But my trusty RC4WD trail stomper broke but good. Twisted the pin off the left drive line. Sucks in 3wd . Here some pics of the carnage. Promise a real update in about a week.

I've been trying for some time now , to figure out how I was going to add a steering dampener to the front . Not for looks but functional. While I was trying out an idea for inner fender wells, it hit me. This actually took no time at all to put together . Very rare I slap something together and it comes out just as I envisioned it. Hope to get some more build time in on this. Another update is the wheels and tires. Bought another ax10 on flea bay ( to many projects going on) liked the wheels and tires. Flipped the bead lock rings. The stance is much better then the mags and swampers. I like the Proline Hammers . MORE TO COME

Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Got the front inner fender wells in. Battery plate is in ,also got the lights on and wired to a switch . Worked out rather well. Got a few outside picks. No it isn't running yet. Hope to get to that point in a few weeks. going to enjoy the nice weather. Headed out to see Clutch tonight, should be a great show. More to come.

Got the rear inner fender wells in today. Getting close to breaking it down for some finish grinding and paint. Then get the electronics in. Cant wait!

Old 06-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Finally got the new bracket for the top front links to the axle built. Had a lot of slop with the stock setup. Thus making the steering on the front bell crank move and steer the tires without the servo moving. 3 weeks of thinking about how I wanted to do this ,and now its done. Disassembled the drive train from the chassis, then the side plates. Time to clean up the soldered joints and get it cleaned and prepped for some paint. Been waiting for this a LLLOOONNNGGG time. Im using grey Hammerite and then a coat of 2 in 1 primer and enamel ,gloss black paint. Going to order new links to replace the scratched up ones. Yah they will be scratched up too. But I want to get some really good picks. and im picky about imperfections. Comes with working in a machine shop. hope to have this paint, and reassembly finished up by Monday night. So more picks to come. Hope everyone has a safe holiday.

Few pics, had a few mins to kill, Looks good so far. Was hoping to put it back together tonight. But I think it needs to set a few days. Let the paint dry . Hope everyone has a safe memorial day.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Time for an update. Got the truck back together. Started working on the floor pans. Few pieces of styrene and some black paint , held on with water proof double sided tape. Got the electronics in. Took some time to tweak in the Red cat Racing 2.4 Ghz 3 channel. This radio system is rather slick. There is even a trim for the rear steer. Took it out for a quick test run. And my front servo mount just wasn't tuff enough. Broke one mount off the cross member and broke the ears off one side of the servo . Plus the stroke of the steering damper was off. I changed the ball end during reassembly because it was binding a little. I had to drain the 70 weight out of it and put in 30 weight cause it was a little too much for the servo. I also noticed where the bell crank was mounted was a weak spot as well. So I built a truss that covers all that mess and ties in the hold down screw from the upper link mount to where the bell crank mounts. After going through 3 stock Axial servo horns , I guess an upgrade is in the future. Started mocking up rock guards for my working lights and some for the ones on the body itself. Picked up the little bill organizer thing at the dollar store. Had some cool small wire mesh , and its plated. Got a chance to get it out for a drive after the fixes and it runs well. Other then when the Tx Is in mode 2 ( which should be to crab walk ) is in rear counter steer mode. Modes 2 and 3 have switched for some reason. Also , when I turn left , the Rx cuts out then comes back on. And only in that mode. Has 4 modes . Front steer, Crab walk, counter steer, and rear steer only, It was 11 at night so I got to try out the lights and they work great. Thinking I want to make some to mount under each corner for night crawling, Can't wait to get it out tomorrow during the day. The truck is still a little on the light side. Going to bring it to work and weigh it at some point. Really need to get back to finishing the rock sliders I started to make. Also hand fab some exhaust pipes out the back. This build has been fun , challenging and a great way to burn through time and money. But in the end the smile it puts on my face is worth it. Still more to come .

Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

few more pics. Made a new bed cover. Made from the cover of a binder. Looks real to me. Got some new softer hose to replace the hard one on the shocks. After a test, I had a lot of dirt in the top of the reservoir , so I put a water balloon over the top to keep the dirt out and the shock oil in. Still more to come

Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

nice build !
COORZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Have 3 different projects going at once, haven't had time to do much. With my grandfather passing away, ive found the best medicine was to bury myself in work. Got my side mirrors on, some little finishing touches. Got my RC4WD wench installed. too bad I had to take off the Ford sticker. I rather liked how it looked. Rear drive line was sticking, making the truck hop. Little filing and it works fine now. Headed for a run at Bradbury Mnt next weekend to see how this thing handles. Got to change out one internal shock spring. Hate to do it cause its time consuming. More to come. Have a safe holiday week. Don't blow off any fingers!!!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Wanted to share the scale license plates I got from RC-2-THE-LIMIT. You cant find them on ebay.

S&G Racing Far Beyond Driven Build Log - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S&G Racing Far Beyond Driven Build Log Androtaz 2.2 Scale Rigs 11 08-02-2013 03:44 AM
S&G Racing Far Beyond Driven Androtaz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 07-01-2013 03:15 PM
pilmat Build Log pilmat Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 39 07-21-2011 08:17 AM
T.O.R.C. tuber - build log getbent HPI Wheely King 76 09-25-2007 09:28 PM