Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Maryland

Notices

Thread: My AX10 rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 03:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My AX10 rebuild

Ok so Sunday night well Monday morning at about 1am I started a rebuild on my AX10. All in all it took me about 4 hours and the whole purpose is to try and get rid of the dreaded torque twist. It kinda reminds me of death wobble in a Jeep TJ lol. Just when you think you have it figured out well you were wrong. Ok so here is what i started with.

Basically bone stock other than a TCS 4 link plate in the rear and stock Axial plastic straight axle conversion in the rear. Shock travel limiters inside the shocks, star cut tire foam, 7 1/4 ounce lead sticky weights in each front wheel (free because my sister works at a car dealership might be getting a whole box if anyone needs any) Tekin FXR with a 55t, Hitec HS 645mg, Hitec Aggressor 3 channel Fm and its waterproofed which I may have to do away with. Other than that it is bone stock.

This is the stock setup on my test board...thanks for the idea on that Kane it works great for testing...but yeah lots of torque twist as you can see by the lifted rt front tire.

I tore the truck down and started by cutting out the skid plate to mount the link arms inside the frame. I also drilled holes in the frame rails for longer custom upper links. They were drilled in the same spot as the CKRC stage 2 kit holes are to be drilled. I marked these holes with the hex wrenches for reference. Basically my plan was to do something like the CKRC stage 2 kit.

Next i made spacers 8mm to mount the shocks on the outside and the links on the inside. The spacers were made from tubbing i got at Hobby Town 1/4 x.049 wall stock number 3061 made by K&S engineering and the custom upper links were made from 3/16x.035 wall stock number 3030. I made the upper links 75mm long which worked out great for where i drilled the holes in the frame. The link tubing is a little this and i don't know how it will hold up but it wasn't to much money so why not. Also the m3x16 set screws thread right into the ends of this tubing.

Here is what the shock and lower link setup looks like with the spacers. Upper links not yet installed. The lower links need to be spaced in 6mm more but the longest screw I could get locally was 30mm and i need 40mm length. Guess I will need to order them somewhere else. I did the same to the front axle but for now the front axle is keeping the stock upper links till i figure out what battery's to run and where I am going to locate the electronics.

This is the rear axle with longer upper links installed on the rear. The rear is running stock spring and the front I am using med springs but I am going to have to play with that a little. Skoal and Coca Cola is what helped keep me up till 5am for this rebuild.

Here is the test run after the build with the board at the same angle. Notice no tire lift :-P. It still did lift a little under hard acceleration though but not nearly as much as with the stock suspension setup. I was pretty pleased with these results.

Here is the board at a steeper angle. Tire lift was minor when compared to stock. With the stock setup the truck flipped right off the board at this angle. The next thing on my list is to run different battery's to lower the CG and to 4 link the front. After i 4 link the front I'm gonna need to relocate my esc but thats no biggie. Anyway any suggestions would be great. Thanks for checking out my build I hope it wasn't to wordy .
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Did you tune the shocks at all? I.e. different springs or oil? That is critical for affecting torque twist.

And get rid of that high battery.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Yeah, if you can move the battery to the front axle, it will help alot.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think for upper links that tubing will be fine. The front 4 link is over rated. Try mounting your battery under the stock battery plate of on your front links. Tires and shock tuning would be next on my list.

KR
K Riccardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronusTRD View Post
Did you tune the shocks at all? I.e. different springs or oil? That is critical for affecting torque twist.

And get rid of that high battery.
Haven't really done much with the shocks. I bought medium Axial springs and put them up front left the stockers in the rear. As far as oil in them I don't really have the money to be shelling out on different weight oils and such. It doesn't do to bad now with the setup I have and if i put a preload spacer on the left rear that really helps. I wanna keep the thing flexable though. Not really going for full comp yet just trying to have fun and just getting started been out of RC for a couple years but this stuff is a blast. Any suggestions on what route to go will shock setups or different shocks would be great. I think i'm going to move them to the outside of the frame. As far as the battery goes yeah i need to move it or sell them if anyone is interested and get lipos or saddle packs. I try to climb a penny and this thing wants to flip back with that high battery and for side hilling just forget it lol. I'm going to move the battery one night this week and turn my tranny around because my DNA dig is on the way I just need to borrow a soldering gun so i can remount my electronics. Any suggestions on tires would be good too.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
RCC Addict

If your going to keep the stock shocks "witch is not all that bad" you should put some fuel tube in side of them and use stock springs, or you could run droop that is what Kane has had and like very much. I'm sure he will give you some tips I don't realy know how it's set up.

When it comes time to spend some cash get the Losi shocks, But that's just what I think.

Last edited by Creepy Inc.; 02-05-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If you look in Hanks thread there is a write up of what Hank did with his shocks.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Riccardi View Post
If you look in Hanks thread there is a write up of what Hank did with his shocks.
I saw what Hank did with the shocks...where did he get those springs he runs inside. I'm thinkin 90w might be a little to thick for me though. By the way tell I think i was Hank at the mall the other day with a blonde...isn't his woman a brunette. ahahahaha
Old 02-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

if you drop your tranny and plate and spin them 180 degrees, which puts your motor on the right that will help with the torque twist
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock addict View Post
if you drop your tranny and plate and spin them 180 degrees, which puts your motor on the right that will help with the torque twist
I plan on that as soon a my DNA dig comes in :-P. Anyone know if Nexgen or Hobbytown keeps servo stretchers in stock??
Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmstEvil665 View Post
I saw what Hank did with the shocks...where did he get those springs he runs inside. I'm thinkin 90w might be a little to thick for me though. By the way tell I think i was Hank at the mall the other day with a blonde...isn't his woman a brunette. ahahahaha

Home Depot.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Got my DNA dig today so I can't wait to put that thing in but i need a servo and a servo stretcher. My 3rd channel on my radio doesn't have EPA's. Hopefully keeping my fingers crossed I can get those two things from nexgen in the morning but i waited to long tonight to call Daneille to see if they had the stuff there.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

danni don't know shes a nitro girl
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Made a few more upgrades...new tires, new body- my first timw airbrushing a lexan body I think it turned out really good no bleeding under the tape Tamiya tape is amazing and worth every penny, bent rear lower links which helped out a lot, moved the battery and mirrored the tranmission. As soon as my LHS gets its new shippment of lipos i'm going to switch over. That big 6 cell pack is killing me. Anyway here are some pictures enjoy.

As soon as I sell my AR15 I'm getting a DX3R radio and a servo and installing my dig unit. Funding is low but hopefully I get that gun sold so I can get this thing ready for comp season. Might lower the ride height tonight not sure yet. The tires seem to help they need broken in though. Thanks again for the tired Tonka