Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Massachusetts

Notices

Thread: Anybody near worcester?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Anybody near worcester?

I'm getting back in to RC and I'm lost. I forgot everything I knew. I'm wondering if there are any decent shops in the area. Not shops that sell models and wooden boats, lol, but cater to guys like us that are into the higher end of the hobby.

I'm 38 and I'm looking to get an AX10 and perhaps a hustler chassis or something like that. What I'm completely confused about is motors, esc's electronics and lipo batteries and chargers.

Any help is appreciated.

Kevin
knuckleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

reading and the search button will be your best friend,just dont get discouraged
LEROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hey Kevin, welcome back!!!

I was the same way back about 2000 I got back into it, and never looked back!

AX-10 is a great choice!! You can pick up the kit for $210, then get yourself a metal gear servo (something like a Hitec 625mg is good starter, or RC4wd has a new servo that has good spec and price.), ESC, alot to choose from there, it's a $$ issue. Just pick up an integy or other 55t motor to get started.....whew, like Leroy said. Going to have to research!

Or, go to a local Competition! Then, you can watch and ask question right there!!

Also, what are you looking to do? Comp, scale, fun? that makes a big difference.
HC Rc Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'd like to go to a comp, just to see what's up. Not interested in competing. just would like to meet some people and familiarize myself with the equipment. So much has changed in 5 years.

To tell you the truth I'm very discouraged as it is right now with the amount of info that I don't know.

I'm contemplating either an AX10 or integy or hustler super. I'm putting together a wish list of parts that I think wont break on the crawler store website for the AX10 if I go that route. I'm thinking of the edge chassis as well.

Battery? PFF....... Like to go lipo, have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks man.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i don't think there's any good hobby shops in the worcester area, but it's been awhile since i looked for one while there. i'd say order what you need online. i have great local hobby shops around me but most don't cater to crawlers and unless it's stock they really don't have a clue. ask questions here for great crawler specific info and unbiased opinions on anything rc.
execelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i'd go with somthing rtr like the ax10 or maybe the venom creeper. run it stock and go from there.

as far as lipo's you really need to have a esc with a lipo safty cut off so you don't over discharge them. i run mostly mamba esc's with auto lipo cut off. fmadirect chargers are the best bang for the bux and zippy lipo's from hobbycity.com are also run by many!!
execelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Check out us at Lincoln Woods in Lincoln, RI this Saturday... About 30 minutes from Worcester. NERCC is having their comp. We're hosting a comp for 2.2 and Super with a possibilty for our Sportsman class (scale). Also, there will be a swap meet during the comp.

http://nercc.net/index.php?topic=2769.0
sierradmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierradmax View Post
Check out us at Lincoln Woods in Lincoln, RI this Saturday... About 30 minutes from Worcester. NERCC is having their comp. We're hosting a comp for 2.2 and Super with a possibilty for our Sportsman class (scale). Also, there will be a swap meet during the comp.

http://nercc.net/index.php?topic=2769.0
d

this terminology is going to kill me.

2.2 = 1/10th scale ?
super = 1/8th scale ?
sportsman class(scale) ?

What's the last one?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

the USRCCA rules will help out a ton with terminology. NERCC (New England R/C Crawlers) uses the phrase "sportsman" as their scale class.

USRCCA rules: http://www.usrcca.com/rules2008.pdf
NERCC Sportsman rules: http://nercc.net/index.php?topic=2329.0

Also, give ECRC (East Coast RC Crawlers) a look at...http://ecrccrawlers.phpbb.net/
sierradmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:48 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

LINCOLN WOODS tomorrow comp #3?
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote