Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Massachusetts

Notices

Thread: Boston Crawlers Presents - King of the Crawlers, Hammond Pond, October 13th

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Boston Crawlers Presents - King of the Crawlers, Hammond Pond, October 13th

So the race is just over a week away. Weatherman say it will be sunny but we all know it is WAY to far away for them to have any clue what-so-ever.

Lets see some rigs, what are people running.

I will get some up later but I think Cruggy has been retired.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Boston Crawlers Presents - King of the Crawlers, Hammond Pond, October 13th

new hpi apache sc, crawler is gonna run in front as a team mate that has a ramp for it's roof. no climbing, just speed.
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
new hpi apache sc, crawler is gonna run in front as a team mate that has a ramp for it's roof. no climbing, just speed.
Is this for real? That's good stuff! Looks like I'll be running the Berg with the new chassis, wish I still had those puller motors now! 3s on those would've been sick!
RICrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

are you kidding, that hpi would destroy my xr10, lol. not sure what i'm going to bring to this one...
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Pretty sure there will be some crawling involved though, don't think a sc truck could do the entire course. I like the ramp idea though.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

c'mon bob, this is me, you know i have somethin special just for this...
Old 10-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Question : what would be the expected runtime for the course? I decided to run my xr10 with a pack on a custom rear battery plate I made up. I can run either dual comp packs in parallel (3s with a total of 1700mah) or a saddle pack (2s 4200mah).

A couple pics of the rig:
Attached Images

Last edited by jebster; 10-09-2012 at 04:42 AM.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
RCC Addict

I think you should be ok with the 1700mAh. You could always toss the other set in your pocket.

I tried running it on one of my 850mAh's and didn't make it, but I did make it more than halfway.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

So this seems to be more about fast 2.2 comp crawlers... Maybe I need to rethink my vehicle.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
So this seems to be more about fast 2.2 comp crawlers... Maybe I need to rethink my vehicle.
I would argue that this is the first one where it is not 100% speed critical.

I think we have a good course laid out that will give a good technical crawler vs a fast all around crawler an even run for their money.

Actually pretty excited to see how it pans out.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

What to bring...
Hopefully I can make one last Boston event, maybe ill bring a couple and figure it out after walking the course.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #32
RCC Addict

More goodies for the Race, courtesy of our friends at Castle Creations.

See you all in a couple days.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

T minus 12 hours and counting!
See you guys in the AM.
Force5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #34

Sorry guys Dylan and I are not going to make it (rowing, engine blew up and funeral to go to). Good luck to all, looks like a good day.
r+gcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Thanks to everyone that made it out Saturday for the Third Annual King of the Crawlers event. We had some great weather and a great showing for the race. I also want to take the time to thank our sponsors who graciously offered some great giveaways.

Thanks to:
Axial - for the XR10 that the winner of the day brought home, the Sweet hand tools, and all the other great crawler parts.

Castle Creations - For the Micro Sidewinders, our Second and third place winners were stoked to bring these home. The BEC's and T-Shirts were great too.

Horizon Hobby - For the Work Mats, Hats, Shirts, and other great items.

This year we had a great course set up, with a fantastic mix of technical terrain and flat out speed areas. Drivers had to show their skill at negotiating tough rocks but also keeping the rig on it's feet and pointed in the right direction on the fast stuff.

As we have seen over the years these courses are brutal on the trucks. 5 Trucks took a real beating this year. 4 of the 5 beaten down trucks managed to make it across the finish line. One even managed to break the front wheel off their rig blasting through the finish line.

So lets get to the good part. Who stepped it up, who made it to the podium.

Dan Ross pulled down first place with a time of 6:43
Bob Ferria was edged out into second place by 13 seconds, 6:56
Jeff Frey rounded out the top 3 with a time of 7:29

The day was a blast and I already can’t wait to do it again next year. Keep reading for the inside scoop on the day and the course.

Race Details:

The races lined up at the staring grid in pairs and were sent off head to head in 30 second intervals. As you left the starting gate there was a short sprint down the trail and then a turn into the woods where significant leaf coverage made the maze of rocks even more challenging to navigate.

Once you made your way out of the woods you were introduced to a short climb into a very narrow passage, like not wide enough for two people shoulder to shoulder. This was the first bottle neck in the course and also the first feature where there was some serious technical features.

After you managed to push your way to the front of the pack and find the line through here you were presented with an option, go over the bridge or take your chances on a slicked out climb. Low and behold after that choice was another one. Point your truck straight up hill and take the technical route, or pin it and go the long, but flat route.

You've made your way to the top of the hill, time to go through the notch in the rock and back around. Time to head back down, take the high road or the low road. Hitting the bottom left you with another tight technical climb, and another chance to get tangled up with the other drivers.

After that, time to run, this was the long sprint. And after that sprint you got to sprint uphill. Rocks, roots, gravel, leaves, moss, all making it a slower climb than anybody thought.

Make it to the top and.... you get to come back down. Setup and brace for impact with two pretty hefty drops. Once you had your truck back on all 4 wheels it was time for the final haul. Drop the hammer and sprint down towards the finish. Another hundred feet and a couple more rocks and the Win is yours. Launch your rig though the finish line and its all over.

Here is how everybody fared

0:06:43 Dan Ross
0:06:56 Bob Ferria
0:07:29 Jeff Fray
0:09:01 Kevin Ducharme
0:09:56 Dan Piepel
0:10:04 Jeff Macomber
0:11:01 Brian Duval
0:11:53 Brendan Cavanaugh
0:13:25 Brian Doughty
0:16:30 Tony Scorzafava
0:19:50 Jamie Wicks
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Link to onboard camera of the race.

Photos from the Event

Last edited by BC-Brian; 10-16-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #37

Thank you Brian and Brendan for putting on this event. I appreciate what you guys did to get this event together and the prepping of the course on the day of the race.

The course location was great and it was a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Brian View Post
Link to onboard camera of the race.
Damn, I had only known of that battery issue you had that allowed me to pass by you. You had some bad luck. What did you break on your steering?

My favorite carnage of the day though, has got to be when Tony snapped off his wheel at the finish line. That was kind of funny/cool to see.
BillJR2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

i agree that it was a great event. and walking away with a little something was icing on the cake!

brian and brendan, thanks for pulling it together!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

As much work as these BC events are, Brian and I do enjoy hosting them. We also really appreciate you guys showing up and making Boston Crawlers a top notch club! I am already excited about next season.

FYI if anyone is interested in my creeper rock racer lemme know. Gonna do something new for King of the RC crawlers in 013.

-Brendan
Der Kampfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Thanks so much for hosting another great BC event, it was a lot of fun as always! Thanks also to the sponsors for putting up such great prizes, and supporting our group. It was great to see some new faces, and some who haven't been around for a while. Can't wait for next year!

Boston Crawlers Presents - King of the Crawlers, Hammond Pond, October 13th - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boston Crawlers - Hammond Pond - August 11th - NETC #2 BC-Brian Massachusetts 35 08-30-2012 01:54 PM
Boston Crawlers Presents: Heartbreak Hammers 2011, Wakefield, MA. October 22nd BC-Brian Massachusetts 36 10-28-2011 06:10 PM
Boston Crawlers king of the Hammers Rig Der Kampfer Venom Creeper 10 10-07-2010 08:30 AM
Summer Series #5, Hammond Pond Park, September 19th BC-Brian Massachusetts 3 09-23-2010 01:59 PM