Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Axial SMT 10 smart mods to make it last !!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial SMT 10 smart mods to make it last !!

Starting this to get peoples input on what they have done to their SMT10 to help it become bullet proof

I have a hot racing full metal tranny , axials underdrive spiral ring/pinion front and back with a few other goodies on it , jconceot tires/ wheels good servo saver but i broke a axal housing today , that is why I am starting this thread.
Do i stay with the stock axles and use beef tubes in them ? Do i super size and do the metal axles like vanquish ?
I will add that i am also running the vanguard system on 3s , i had that combo laying around i did try a 3400kv with sensor first but i do not think I need the sensor and this motor is faster and has more torque.
So what have you added to make yours indestructible? ( a relitive use of the word )

Last edited by BUGGYBOY; 02-06-2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more infomation on my rig.
BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial SMT 10 smart mods to make it last !!

I haven't upgraded the axles yet, but I have been browsing some steering upgrade options. Amain has titanium steering links for around $15 that look pretty good. What kind of servo saver are you running?
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #3

Your SMT10 needs a ton of money to be durable and it will never be indestructible.

I have a fairly long thread on my build here: Jato's SMT10

I have stock axles with aluminum Beef Tubes in them. I wanted to strengthen the axle housings without additional weight. I use my monster truck and jump it and I didn't want aluminum housings that were going to get cosmetically destroyed. I know some people are racing with the Xtra Speed metal axle housings so you still get metal housings for a lot less money.

The spider gears also strip fairly easily even when shimmed properly. I switched my rear axle to a spool and the front axle is still an open diff.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I beleive i ended up with the HPI servo saver , i liked the style and it is simular to the ones on my tekno eb48sl and so far seem to take a lot of abuse. They were very nicely priced also.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I did upgrade the ring and pinions already to the HD axial inderdrive units. Front and rear. I know they can not be made indestructible but closer would be great !
I am adding the upgrades as needed i will read through your post again. Always looking at options as to what others have done. I may end up with the vanquish axles for a coiple reasons , they are near by , i have delt with them many times before i have friends that work there and they are very good products. They do cost a bit more but stock axles even with the beef tubes in them are only about $50 ea more and i get a much stronger unit as i see it for the location that my axles housings broke which is right at rhe shock moun at the end of the truss. On the steering link i broke the stock one also but even though i have a titanium replacment here , i am not sure i will use it. The plastic for many areas is a little more forgiving. Thanks for the input , i am looking forward for much more. Thanks !
Old 02-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGGYBOY View Post
I beleive i ended up with the HPI servo saver , i liked the style and it is simular to the ones on my tekno eb48sl and so far seem to take a lot of abuse. They were very nicely priced also.
HPI? Was it either one of these?

Hpi Racing - Servo Saver Set Jumpshot - 115312 - Active Powersports

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CABEgJMIPD_BwE

I'm looking for something tighter than the stock servo saver without going to a solid servo arm.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Sorry not watching post. It is the HB112755 on amains page

HB Racing product. Has worked great so far and is a good price. I bought it to try because it works simular to the one used on my tekno eb 48sl and it take major abuse. Good luck !
Thanks
Old 02-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So i broke the rear axle this time out. It was suggested to use the beef tubes inside the stick axle housings. Would posinly do well but went with a couple vanquish axles instead. They are close by , are great products and i know a couple of the workers there. Need to support the sport you know. I know they cost more but by the time i bought a new stock axle and then the beef tubes i am half way there and end up with a killer piece of equipment.

Axial SMT 10 smart mods to make it last !! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what mods should i make? trevdogg420 Axial SCX-10 1 12-13-2009 10:21 PM
Which mods to make to my rtc??? DAN8701 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 08-25-2009 08:37 PM
Mods 4 WK trans to make it like AX-10 Leeroy HPI Wheely King 14 05-22-2008 10:34 PM