Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Michigan

Notices

Thread: Anyone running shafty's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Anyone running shafty's?

Is there a shafty/sportsman/2.2s class? Getting a real nice shafty build soon and wondering if theres any competition? Worse case i can put a dig in it and compete with the moa's haha.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone running shafty's?

Nope, many of us have tried to get some backing in the class, seems like everyone just wants scaler or 2.2pro.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

We should try to get it going again, fun class.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I for one would love to get the class going as the moa has gotten somewhat stale in our "club" but I have lobbied others for any other class infusion to keep things somewhat fresh. But it just never proved fruitful yet. I have several other class vehicles ready to be finished if any other class caught fire here. I say lets get it together and see what happens.
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
RCC Addict

My first comp rig was a shafty with dig and I enjoyed it immensely. To be honest, I didn't use the dig that much.
A couple times at comps in Missouri, we would pull the old girl out and take turns running the courses. A couple times, it performed as good or better than the pro trucks did.

I would love to see a 2.2s class develop around here.
2.2 pro can be an expensive adventure, trust me on that one. I think a 2.2s class would give new guys that want to start competing a great way to get their feet wet and start crawling.
Not to mention there are tons of parts out there for 2.2s now.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Exactly. Its definitly a cheaper class to run, definitly fun.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

It can be cheaper, but I'm not sold on it being much cheaper.

While some call it Sportsman, its no longer a sporty entry class, at least not on the large national scale.

Farmer and I have tried more than once to grow a 2.2s class, and I hope one happens. If we get a consistent turn out soon I might just finish the one I have hidden away.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Jake, why don't you be brave and finish it! Bring out a few times and see what happens. I will bring one of mine!! All we need are three and we have second class of crawlers!!

Oh and we don't have to think of it as a national level class either.. It could be a true sporty class for everybody, not just the guys that go to big events outside of the state. We have lost more potential members because there is way too much emphasise on the national level comps we hold. I can think if at least 6 different people who don't regularly come to our comps because we are setting up the courses to challenge the national level drivers and not allowing the local level crowd have any fun. Not everyone that wants to come out want to go to the big shows.

Last edited by The Real Dogman; 05-02-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

A sporty class sounds awesome
Where do I sign up?

I've been wanting to build a sporty rig using TF axles

"Dezmoon" has a cool sporty build using TF axles
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/kyosh...2-2-style.html

Sportsman Class Rules

Bodied vehicles:

* 1/8th or 1/10th bodies that should resemble its original form with minimal cutting.
* Wheelbase to match body's intended wheelbase, up to a 1/2" allowed difference.
* Full frame chassis only, comp chassis not allowed. Chassis minimum length to be no less than the corresponding wheelbase
* Tires must be partially covered by the body

Bodiless vehicles:

* Bodiless vehicles must resemble a 1:1 vehicle to include hood & grille ( Jeep, FJ40 etc)
* 1/8th or 1/10th scale tuber that must be a self-supporting, structurally complete, rigid frame as long as the intended wheel base

* Vehicles are limited to 2-wheel steering on front axle only.
* Vehicles are limited to the use of 2 channels radio control (One for steering & one for throttle) only. Neither channel can be used to perform more than one function.
* No driver controlled devices, other than steering and throttle control, will be allowed.
* Independent throttle control to the front or rear axles (“burn” or “dig”), winching down the axles, and forced articulation are not allowed in this class
* Vehicles are limited to 1 ESC only
* Vehicles are limited to 1 motor powering both of the axles
* A battery limited to 8.4 nominal voltage (7 cell nimh/nicd & 2 cell lipo/limoly) to be located in/on vehicle chassis.
* Vehicle is limited to 2.2 inch wheels/rims or smaller at the bead surface. Wheels may be modified provided that the tire bead surface does not exceed 2.2 inches in diameter. Tires may be modified from other sized tires using only a pliable rubber but must not exceed a total uncompressed outer diameter of 5.5 inches.
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Then someone needs to step up and do it. I have never been against it, but won't be spending money or time on building one. Also if the courses are a issue then people need to speak up. I'm the easiest person to get along with, only if you actually say something. Our points series will be over at the end of June with the State comp. After that I plan on calling it quits for the year. Then everyone can regroup and have fun again.
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I like those rules except for the fact i run 3s in my rigs. But if thats what i need i could step down the voltage.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Yeah Rick, that is exactly what I am talking about. Something different and fresh!

EDIT:
Farmer don't get offended. We ALL have had bad days on the courses and each and everyone of us have sworn at the courses at one time or another even if it was under our breath or out loud. right jake? And everyone of us has built the courses. Everyone of us have built them with difficulty in mind, to better prepare us for the big show. So we are all guilty of it. The point is we do need to freshen things up and reinvite everyone, and I mean everyone no matter what they built, out to have fun with us!! Do it just for the laughs and less about the practice. Or maybe I should say, to compliment the practice. Your alright buddy nobody is meaning to pick on you.

Last edited by The Real Dogman; 05-02-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Then someone needs to step up and do it. I have never been against it, but won't be spending money or time on building one. Also if the courses are a issue then people need to speak up. I'm the easiest person to get along with, only if you actually say something. Our points series will be over at the end of June with the State comp. After that I plan on calling it quits for the year. Then everyone can regroup and have fun again.
Later,
Farmer
WE LOVE YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukescb7 View Post
I like those rules except for the fact i run 3s in my rigs. But if thats what i need i could step down the voltage.
I dont think the America's have actual "Sportsman" Rules (YET )
These rules are from across the pound but sound like a good place to start

Regards Rick
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Hell I'd be down with that.
Honchoforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
RCC Addict

He Lee,

You post those badass pics of your offload park?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I got so much work to do before I start posting pics... But it will be worth the wait I should have some good stuff to post up at the end of this weekend and ill be posting up a scale gtg bbq very soon

But this sporty class has got my attention... Might just have to build a comp rig after all

Oh and the bash/short coarse track is go to go. So if you wanna get your go fast on come on over.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Seems like i might have gotten this going huh. Hope so because I have a pretty nice sporty in the works haha, might have to top it off with some supershafty parts.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukescb7 View Post
Seems like i might have gotten this going huh. Hope so because I have a pretty nice sporty in the works haha, might have to top it off with some supershafty parts.
Yeah you made me find a way to spend more money on toy cars... Just kiddin!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

What I have seen at the last few comps is the fact that the courses seem to revolve around "how hard can we make it" and have strayed from "How FUN can we make it" I think this is what's gonna start to hurt our group in the long run.

I like the idea of a shafty class, and have enough parts to build one.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Dogman View Post
Jake, why don't you be brave and finish it! Bring out a few times and see what happens.

Not everyone that wants to come out want to go to the big shows.
Sorry, I have a 2.2s truck in pieces, it was bought as is for Nationals but money is tight so its progress has been stale. It fits the actual 2.2s class rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v84x4 View Post
Sportsman Class Rules

Bodied vehicles:

* Wheelbase to match body's intended wheelbase, up to a 1/2" allowed difference.
* Full frame chassis only, comp chassis not allowed. Chassis minimum length to be no less than the corresponding wheelbase

* A battery limited to 8.4 nominal voltage (7 cell nimh/nicd & 2 cell lipo/limoly) to be located in/on vehicle chassis.
My truck would not fit any of these rules once built. Sorry guys looks like I'm sitting this class out. Good luck though more classes would be cool. These rules push scale, my truck is being built to 2.2s rules.

Anyone running shafty's? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ya'll running 35T motors, what pinion are you running? concretejungle Axial XR10 9 03-11-2012 08:18 PM
Those running 3s Lipo - what are you running, what do you like? goldmember Team Losi Comp Crawler 41 09-19-2009 06:39 AM
Anyone running these? broncotxt Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 9 03-09-2005 08:04 PM