Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Michigan

Notices

Thread: Need some help.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2015, 03:42 AM   #1

Default Need some help.....

What's up everybody how tall doin this winter? I'm doin ok my self had a lot of free time as of late due to a 140lb steel beam falling in my head at work and having some serious neck injuries, but on a solid note I'm on the road to recovery. Now my question I'm workin on a rc4wd timber wolf chassis I know they are junk and suck but I'm just trying to work with it. It's going to be my c3 rig for the summer I can't seem to figure out my cms I had to build it my self I put a pan hard on the front of the truck but still have a shit load of steering loss it's travling threw the sus any ideas on what I can do to help this? Apparently it's beyond me thanks ahead of time (puddin)
getNOSty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Need some help.....

Man, that sucks....glad you're ok. Maybe post some pics if you can may help some people answer your questions.

Is the angle on the drag link too steep?
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Damn dude glad your getting better Is it 3 linked or 4 linked in the front?
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Similar steering issue here. I'm working on a patched up build with a wraith chassis and TLT axles (weird but its what I had). Made my own CMS mount as well. I was wondering if I needed the panhard at all with a triangulated 4link? Seem like the links should keep the axle centered, and the panhard would just limit suspension travel. Good luck with recovery, at least you got something to keep you busy.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

CMS seems to have bump steer no matter what I do, mine I working on now is 4ws SCX10, pan hard has to be set just right to help minimize this effect along with the 4 link. no easy way around it, that is why this rig will be more for looks then actual bashing on rocks, but still be able to crawl for fun.
Joe&Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
RCC Addict

For a 3-link and CMS steering set up, there are two tricks. The panhard bar and steering tie-rod need to be at the same length and need to be at the same angle, with the truck at rest.
If you're doing a CMS with 4-link, there is no way around it, you will have steering issues.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
For a 3-link and CMS steering set up, there are two tricks. The panhard bar and steering tie-rod need to be at the same length and need to be at the same angle, with the truck at rest.
If you're doing a CMS with 4-link, there is no way around it, you will have steering issues.
Nailed it
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegetabike View Post
Similar steering issue here. I'm working on a patched up build with a wraith chassis and TLT axles (weird but its what I had). Made my own CMS mount as well. I was wondering if I needed the panhard at all with a triangulated 4link?

Should be good without a panhard. I assume you are using the wraith skid. In most cases as long as your draglink angle is close to the same as your tie rod angle....this will give you the least amount of bump steer. As stu and Joe&jeep said you will always have some. A steep drag link angle makes it real bad.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I shimmed up the 4 link mounts to eliminate slop and that helped, but still got allot of body roll when the tires were turning against something. Threw on a panhard bar to try and steering is WAY better, but flex is a little tighter now. Guess it's going to take some tinkering. Thanks for the tips! Now I just need to find some rocks that aren't covered in snow.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegetabike View Post
Thanks for the tips! Now I just need to find some rocks that aren't covered in snow.
Ha Ha!! Good luck....