Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: '89 Chevy Micro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default '89 Chevy Micro

Howdy, folks. Been roaming the site for a bit, & figured it was time to post up a build thread for my "semi scale" Micro Crawler.

I picked up a new Micro off the 'Bay, opened it up & ran the little critter 'round the house. I had been reading up on the Micros, so I was prepared for the bad handling out of the box. I don't think I even ran a full batt thru it before it came apart.

TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I did the normal mods right off- moved the ESC & battery to the axles, as well as removed the springs. That made it a little better, but at full droop I really can't say it was any real improvement.

I decided to pop the springs back on the rig, & turned a few coils around the shock ends to limit travel & still have a dampening effect. I ran it like that a day or so, then made my way to the LHS for a couple packages of Mini T rod ends, some 2-56 all thread, and some aluminum tubing.

I stretched the wheelbase to about 4-3/4"- by lengthening the rear links only. I figure it would help set more weight forward on the chassis this way. Put some 1/8 tubing over the lowers & used some 9/32 to stretch the 'shaft.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

From the get-go I had planned to run a scale looking body. I'm a 1:24/25 scale model car builder & have been putting kits together since I was about 5. I have a decent collection of kits, & after some digging in the store room I found this thrift store refugee:

It was built by some kid & tossed back in the box to end up on the thrift shop shelf.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I started the mock up to see what was feasable. The truck was a long bed, so I knew it was gonna get either cut down or replaced. I decided to keep the bed & shorten it as needed.

Prepped for some surgery:

Old 12-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

After the slice-n-dice, I taped it back together to see where I was. I had hoped the amount I took out of the rear would give it a "bobbed" look, but somehow I managed to take out nearly the exact amount to make it look like a plain short bed Chebby.

Like I said- this kit had been built & painted (poorly) before I got it. I took another few scale inches outta the tail of the bed, then gave the whole thing a bath in Purple Power cleaner. After soaking for most of a day, I pulled this out of the vat:

Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I glued the bed back together & marked the fenders for some hacking. It ended up like this:

I wanted to make sure it had enuff room to stuff the tires, so I did up a couple poser shots to check:

Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I had also seen the recoil ID badge winch idea in Jamus' build thread, so decided I wanted to try that, too. I thinned down the case a little bit:

Its not much, but on the Micro's every little bit seems to help.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I did the bodywork & got the truck in paint. Like I said- I build models.... and I did not like the way the paint came out at first. I kinda rushed it & the results were bad in my opinion. I started to take it outside to strip the body back down to bare plastic when my wife made an intelligent observation: why was I overly concerned w/ perfect paint on a truck that was gonna get beat on rocks & driven around the yard?

Smart girl- I left the paint alone. Sorry about the blurry pic- my camera is a PITA.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Next on the list was mounting the body to the chassis. I had read where some of y'all used magnets to secure the bodies, so a trip to the craft store yielded me a couple packages.

I made up a couple simple sections of angle out of aluminum, then drilled out a couple holes & bolted the angle to the chassis plates. I cut a couple strips of metal & superglued them to the bottom of my interior tub. Next I superglued a couple magnets to the angle. Turned out that the CA wasn't strong enuff. I tried some E6000 & thats held up great.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I used a smaller magnet to hold the hood in place. I used CA to attach a strip of metal on the underside of the hood & glued the mag to the radiator support. The hood pins in at the rear & the mag keep it in place:

Here's how the truck sat on the new body mounts:

Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I set up a few pillows to test the mounting system, & for grins I brought out another truck to give the Micro an anchor for winching:

Works purty good.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I decided pillows weren't a real good test of the magnets, so I set up a "rock garden" next to the driveway, made up of misc concrete & rocks I'd scavenged.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I figured out I needed some weight in the tires pretty badly. I also saw that my wife's observation about the paint was spot-on.

I'd read Wrenchheads tutorial on cheap PVC beadlocks & decided to give that a try. Man, just follow his directions & you'll be hard pressed to screw up. Only snag I hit was a few threads stripped out on one side of one rim. A few drops of CA & it was good 'nuff. I added some solder on all 4 corners as well.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

With all the major stuff about solidified, I turned to the details. I grabbed some styrene & fabbed up a couple simple bumpers:

Jamus thinks I hit a deer, but the blood is just Bondo spot & glazing putty.

I also did up a pretty basic interior, mounted the taillights & tail gate, & even the side view mirrors (which were prompty torn off on the next outside run )
Old 12-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Here's where the truck is at as of today:

Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Runnin' the rocks in its scale glory......

Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Now then, a couple things that I did forget to mention along the way was the servo & the batteries.

I wanted longer run times, but I'll wait 'til after the holidays to switch to lipo. So for now I picked up a Losi 220 mah pack from the Micro SCT/Rally. I get 15+ minutes or so out of it, & around 10 from the stock pack.

And one day the servo flipped out & stayed hard left. I was able to get it recentered, but it ended up doing it again a couple days later & was toast. I picked up a HiTech HS-65 at the LHS. Its niiiice.

So thats it- my semi scale full size Chebby build. I want to make some side view mirrors that are "folded in", & I'll prolly build an in-bed toolbox to cover the chassis horns stickin' up thru the front of the bed. Otherwise the ol' gal is about done.

Comments, suggestions, or creative jabs are welcome......
Old 12-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

looks great! love the paint scheme!
king_crawl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

That looks really nice man, good job!
EvilPlots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the compliments! king krawl22, I painted it the same color combo as my 1:1 Silverado.