Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/14 Jeep TJ-QLO build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 1/14 Jeep TJ-QLO build...

Hey guys, I havent been on here in quite some time but I have been working on something that I wanted to share.
I picked up a MiniQLO a while back and have been waiting on the right body to come along. Anybody who has seen any of my little builds knows Im a Jeep man through and through. I dont think I could build anything else! LOL!
Anyway I picked up a NewBright 1/14 scale Jeep TJ "MUD" edition from K-Mart. After being unsuccessful in finding the perfect set of tires for the longest time and getting into short course trucks for a bit, I lucked out and found that the rear wheels/tires off a Losi MiniSCT fit perfectly! But I had to wait on them to come off back order...
Now that I have you guys up to speed on parts........
I had to space the wheels out a little to make the total width match the body. I cut the centers out of a spare set of Losi MCRC wheels and epoxied them onto the back of the MiniSCT wheels. (Sorry no pics ) That gave me a total width of 5 1/4 inches. Then i set about cutting out a set of chassis rails from some pretty thick *nylon? sheet stretching the wheelbase to 7 inches. Its a little flimsy by its-self but seems stiff enough bolted together. Its light which is good because I dont know how much abuse the drivetrain can handle. I did build a custom tranny using the front axle shaft and outer axle from an old toy baja truck with a polulu gear motor attached for some super SLOW crawling. It lacks in wheel speed but until I decide whether or not the drivetrain can take the abuse Im not gonna risk it. I am using a Losi 2.4 radio from the MiniSCT and a Micro Hotbodies ESC from a minizilla I used to have. Also a 1500 mah Nimh battery off of a Mini RS4. Without further ado........ PICS!

03NCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Finished! UPDATE

Well, I decided on red........ I think it turned out pretty good. I tried a few things with this build that I hadnt been brave enough to try before... ( chopping the hood and trying hinges, building my own custon tranny ) I think it is gonna be one of my favorites! Always been a sucker for a red Jeep! Now on to pics............. excuse the crappy camera pics... The lighting isnt quite right but Ill hopefully get some better ones and video tomorrow!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
DVS
Pebble Pounder

Look Great, Nice job.
DVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Well that was a quick build haha. Great job dude.
Hydro-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default Video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5o6z...=youtube_gdata
Old 09-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comments guys...... I didnt take any pics but I worked on getting a little more wheel speed out of this rig. I started by taking my homemade tranny out and putting in a Micro RS4 rear end. I glued the diff solid and then fixxed the driveshafts to the axle ends instead of wheels. I am running the stock rs4 spur gear with a 17 tooth pinion on the miniqlo motor. It seems to have helped for sure with the wheel speed. I also took the time to remove the foams from the tires in an effort to gain a little traction. The tires seem JUST soft enough now but I wont know for sure until the weather clears up and I get to take it to my spot outside. Video soon.......
Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Did a little wheeling outside today between the honey-do list chores.... Got a couple short clips..... It climbs SOOOO much better defoamed and with a little wheel speed. I also stopped at Wally-World this morning and found some assorted 5" tall soldiers with scale machine guns and rifles. The pack of 5 men with 8 guns was 5 bucks . The soldiers arent super scale but the guns are pretty accurate! I am only using a soldier until my eBay purchase arrives later in the week. Also at the risk of looking like a gun toting right wing nut job, even though I am, I threw an M-16 in the back strapped to the roll bar. But I think Ill hold on to the rest of the guns for later projects. After filming (and between more chores ) I decided to throw together a Hi-Lift jack. I used 3 Micro RS4 body posts, an old ball linkage from a minizilla for the handle holder,a small allen wrench that was rounded off for the jack handle, two body posts from a 1/10 RS4 and the radiator from a 1/24 CJ model as the base. Let me know what you think... Sorry for the sorry pic ....

Short video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa--h3tXe_k
Old 09-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Old 09-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Wow I'm speechless!!! These are terific pictures!!!! Wow!! I also love the drive!!! This is a great build!!! Just Wow!!!!!! Good Job!!!
MICHIGAN CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thats a sweet looking TJ!!!
BrandonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default Video I shot today...

Beacon Heights Fall Crawl - YouTube
Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Exelent video, the little TJ looks so real. I cant believe how well those Losi MSCT tires work so well,and they suit the jeep so well.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys, thanks for checking out my vid... If it didnt work for you it is because of the audio which has been swapped per Youtube stupid rules..... So if you tried to watch before and were told that it was blocked in your country please try again!