Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Losi Micro Honcho attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Losi Micro Honcho attempt

Thought I'd start a new thread for this, as it might not get noticed in the one it was in.

Ok so just bought 2 Micro Trekkers for my 2 son's xmas presents, and couldn't stop myself modifying them before they get them.

So far i've fitted the Delrin chassis's, wheel weights and removed the tyre sponge all round.

Then wasn't too struck on the stickers, so peeled them off. Then thought hang on if I chop of the rear sides its mostly there to look like the Axial Honcho.
So grabbed the kitchen scissors and snip snip its too late now chopped up the body lol.

With only a few offcuts of lexan knocked up a temporary rear bed for it and it was started.

See below.

Then I wasn't happy with that so started roaming the house to find something to hack up to make the rear bed. Opened the kitchen drawer and my iPhone box was there, popped that open and the plastic housing the phone comes in happens to be THE EXACT SHAPE I require. I'll take some pics tonight of how that turns out.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I've almost finished one. I did the iPhone 4 box housing mod, worked a treat, have painted both and fitted one. I think I'd better crack on and finish them BOTH.

Thats kinda were I'm at but do have some jerry cans to paint and am going to paint the bed a brighter silver too
Old 12-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Basically, inside the iPhone box is a plastic tray the phone travels in. Cut exactly in half its just enough to disappear inside the trekker cab and its the right depth to be a bed for a honcho.

Once you cut off the rear of the trekker it loses its rigidity. The now cut iPhone tray doesn't on its own sit flat as well so i glued on a 2 layer of lego to make that sit parallel to the chassis.
The bed is now in itself flat and solid which in turn supports the original remaing cage and cab/shell.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Losi Micro Honcho attempt

Great write up. Excellent job on the conversion. What did you use for the fifth wheel?
Stavin Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, the fifth wheel came from a jeep rubicon 1/24 model which I was hoping to use on the trekker but it's way too small.

The tyre on that wheel is from a small kids tonka monster truck just slid over it.

I'll post some more pics as I've had to rethink the battery location as these are for my 3 and 5 year old boys, and opening the body up every 15mins they firstly couldn't but if they could the clips would be lost on the second battery change.

I ended up mounting the battery outside on the rear bed so they can do it easily. It's affected cog obviously but not enough at there age to matter.

Last edited by northernerbill; 12-26-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Here you go just copied and pasted from when I did another post.

Right well I finished both the boys Trekker Honcho's tonight. I had though to come up with an easy easy easy way for them to change their batteries as they are only 3 + 5 years old so had to resort to mounting them on the rear bed. Gave the beds a few coats of silver to liven them up a little and they are now good to go.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Sweet!!! Need to send these pictures to Axial for some inspiration!!! I love this Axial inspired micro!!
MICHIGAN CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Its raining but the boys still got a bit of news years day crawling in
9647097e.mp4 video by Northernerbill - Photobucket