Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1999 F350 Tow Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #1

Default 1999 F350 Tow Rig

Hey guys, as I'm nearing the completion of my '81 Bronco, I'm thinking I need a tow rig to haul this jalopy around. I've been looking high and low for an 80's or newer Ford pickup in 1:24 scale (avoiding 1:25 and 1:27) and found a few models that are out of production. I have found a 2008-10 F350 crew cab, long bed model by a company called MENG but it's about $70! I have trouble justifying tearing down a perfectly good MTT let alone bashing a expensive model kit.

That being said, however, going through my old diecasts and models, I found and old Super Duty diecast that I long since forgotten. It's a Welly Diecast 1999 F350 extended cab, short bed. And it's 1:24!!! Right on scale! I've heard some daunting things about using diecast bodies for the Micros but I figured these things: 1. It's gonna be not a crawler, it'll be a hauler. 2. The weight of the body should, in theory, aid in traction and stability in hauling the Bronco.

The jist: I plan on using the Welly body and interior and melding it with a Losi MTT. I'll use either modified Micro SCT or Micro Desert truck wheels to achieve a more scale looking lifted truck.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of the truck before I started tearing it down (I'm terrible like that) but here's one with a SCT wheel and a MTT wheel for size comparison.

And everything torn down and washed.

Current plans are stripping the body of the paint, filling in the trim indentations and the inaccurate door handle on the drivers rear suicide door, and painting the interior either gray to match my Dad's 1:1 F350 or tan to simulate Lariat leather. I still am looking to acquire a MTT to sacrifice to this build. I am also eyeballing Testor's Hot Metal 1:24 Tandem axle car trailer to retrofit for Bronco hauling.
JonFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 1999 F350 Tow Rig

Looks great!! Cant wait to see what you do with it.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #3

Thanks!

I tried stripping the body of paint last night in a couple different ways. Some people use Oven Cleaner to strip paint off the metal so I went with that. However, after a few hours soaking, it seemed to have cleaned the excess grime off instead of removing the paint. The decals even stayed intact! Next failure was the brake fluid method. I have used this method before on other diecasts but after a few more hours of that (with a good cleaning of dish soap and water beforehand), it only removed the decals. I'm going to pick up some lacquer thinner tonight and maybe some acetone and try that as well.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

yeah i would generally use acetone, but if you need to go hardcore sandblasting is probably an option (although the body might be too fine).
Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Do you think maybe it power coat not paint?
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

I read somewhere that the guys who like to customize Hot Wheels have used carburetor cleaner and a scrub brush to strip the paint off those bodies. I had some cheap Wal-Mart brand carb cleaner laying around so I decided to try it and hallelujah, it worked! I'll grab some photos of the progress when I can.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #7

Here's a small progress report of this one. I've got some pictures of the first stripping attempt, but none of the subsequent ones.

The Oven Cleaner I tried

Parts coated and soaking in the stripper

And skipping the the success after the carb cleaner

And the last one marks the beginning of the bodywork! Filling in the ugly trim holes and the unrealistic handle on the driver's rear door.

I'm hoping to get most of this bodywork done before I start on the drive train. Then I can have the fun re-engineering the suspension
Old 11-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

looks like it came through good!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #9

Thanks, Hammer. A bit of added elbow grease and I got it!

I didn't get to do much to it yesterday as I was out and about doing some early Christmas shopping (hey the sooner I get it done, the sooner I don't have to get caught in the rush ) and trying to temporarily fix the steering gearbox in my girlfriend's 1:1 truck (building a static 1:24 truck for her as a gift, might build it into a crawler if she wants).

It looks like the filler, Squadron putty, has shrunk and cracked. However it passed the test I was looking for, it stayed adhered to the metal! So tonight is sanding, then filling in the low spots and the minute cracks, then sanding again. For the chassis, I'm torn between keeping and heavily modifying and reinforcing the chassis "plate" that came with the model or splurging for Fungi's 5.00 "WB Kit and modifying it the fit the F350. I need to grab another Trail Trekker to try and do some fitting. Trying to use the Bronco without tearing it apart just plain sucks
Old 03-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #10

To coincide with my Bronco update, here's a smallish update for the F350.

I was able to fill and sand the trim grooves/holes with Squadron Putty, which is awesome stuff. I was also able to throw a few coats of silver on the whole body along with some sealing coats of high gloss clear coat. It's not a beauty queen by any means, but it fits the bill for a tow vehicle! I was also able to paint all but one of the window opening to simulate the seals/gaskets (I'm still not sure why I haven't painted the passenger door....) Along with a side project for the Bronco, I made up some custom plates for the F350. I'm still note sure which on to choose! I don't have any running gear yet for this guy yet so I've been posing numerous wheels and tires under it for giggles. I think I'm going to go with the Micro Desert Truck wheels because they give the appearance of some of the Super Duties you see today.

Look! Paint!

Another angle.

Side profile view. The wheel at the front is from a Micro Short Course Truck and the rear wheel is from a 1/36 Micro Desert Truck. I like these. I have a set in chrome and a set in dark chrome/gunmetal gray. Still not sure what I want.

A shot down the side. I'm sure I won't be able to achieve this easily, but I like this stance and offset of the wheels.

And for grins, I threw on some "dubs" and set it lower. These wheels will be going to another project.

And here's a shot with the window trim painted. Still needs some cleanup, but I like it.

I also recently bought a trailer to complete the setup! It's a diecast model by Testors built in 1/24. Perfect! As with most of the things I get, I wasn't happy with a part of it, so I modified it to my liking. The kit wheels that came with it were awesome, but they were wrapped in these really hard, weird, skinny tires with oblong white walls. They had to go. I had a spare set of tires from a 1/25 F150 that were begging to be used on the trailer. They fit perfectly! Another part I wasn't fond of was the jack. I'll have to fiddle with that at some other point in time.

Someone's excited for their ride!

OE Kit wheels and tires. Yuck.

Nasty. These will be saved for later.

Trailer wheels and F150 tires.

Looks good!

Installed. As David Freiburger says Mint!

Overall view.

The Bronco won't fit between the fenders. Oh well.

Mock up with the Bronco and the F350.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #11

Finally I have a worthwhile progress update on the F350 build. I ordered a Trekker and some Fungi upgrade/hop-up goodies​ last week and received them Monday. I got some wheels for the Bronco and for the F350 I ordered the new rear lockouts, the shock mount kit and the leaf spring kit with hardware. When I got home from work, I immediately set to tearing down the new Trekker (after posing it with the Bronco of course) and started the new task of finding out how to stuff the guts into the F350. I started with the rear axle and threw on a set of Micro Desert truck wheels to see how everything will fit. I am really digging how this is going to look. After getting giddy about the setup, I started to assemble the leaf springs. When I installed them on the axle, I noticed they were too high for my liking. If I were to mount it at the ride height I wanted, they'd be popping through the bed! I had to think on that, so I decided to go ahead and do a test fit of the lockouts. These things are phenomenal! That's also when I had a sort of epiphany about the leaf springs... Why not take the spacers and flip them? So it was done. It brings the ride hide down a bit and I think it will work out perfectly. On to the pictures!

Stock Trail Trekker with some Fungi goodies.

Wheels for the Bronco at the top, leaf spring kit in the middle, lockouts with shock kit down low.

Tiny, unsuspecting Trekker nose to nose with the brute of a Bronco!

Trekker being torn down for the guts to be transplanted into the F350 recipient.

Naked axle!

I might be liking this bagged look...uh oh.

Leaves installed...the first time.

Comparison of the awesome lockout from Fungi to the stocker from Losi. Big difference.

Spring mount flip! Most likely the final setup.

More to come either tonight or tomorrow night!

Last edited by JonFoster; 03-11-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

When it comes to the Trail trekker, what is the aftermarket parts support like?
Tbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:01 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Im really digging where this build is going
Old 03-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #14

TBrown, the aftermarket support for the Trail Trekker is small, but building. Fungi on here has some awesome stuff for upgrades/modifications.

Hammer!, thanks! Unfortunately, this guy's being stuck on the back burner as I have found a more favorable (and lighter) rig. Check for the new thread soon!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #15

anymore updates on this build? its sweet and looks to be a fun build.
808 tundra is offline   Reply With Quote

1999 F350 Tow Rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow-body for f350 Huber1918 General Scale Talk 7 03-30-2014 08:59 AM
f350 tow truck/ tow rig bbnate804 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 11-19-2012 07:15 PM
4X4 F350 Tow Truck LOSIASSOCIATED 1.9 Scale Rigs 24 09-27-2011 08:26 AM
F350 4 door tow rig 1BadJeepBruiser General Scale Talk 24 02-25-2010 06:41 PM