Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Trail Trekker into something else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Trail Trekker into something else.

There's plenty of LMRC builds, so here goes mine.

Started off stock then I removed foams and added solder for weight. I removed the bump stops and that's about it for a month.

Ordered a set of 20s from DANALLY and some MiClaws from China. I finally got them together and on the truck this morning. It looks good, not near as scale anymore...but that's fine with me. Next I'll find a good battery and a scale body.

Props to DANALLY for some prompt business and shipping.

Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Trail Trekker into something else.

I previously put the stock Losi foams in. They are smaller and fairly heavy for their size. So this morning I pulled them and added some weight. I couldn't find my box of BBs, but I did find my pellets. I added 25 pellets each tire and it has done wonders for crossing taller obstacles.

I moved the shocks down the one hole and trimmed the fenders, too. I'm thinking of cutting a few wraps off of the springs for a little bit of droop.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Simple mod I'm going to try on my 1:10 crawler, too. I removed the lower body clips from the posts and put on half of a cut Micro-T spring.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I got bored this afternoon and started tinkering again. I cut the windows out and added some more lead.

It looks a little meaner and more like a crawler, to me anyway.

This is what I ran this afternoon and it does extremely well. Just so long as the wheel speed stays low enough to keep them down. Get the centrifugal forces up and all bets are off. Stay slow, and it'll crawl. I don't run any foams in those Miclaws and there's enough lead rolling around to keep the tires from airing down.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I did some searching and haven't found the exact answers I wanted. I want to swap out the plastic links for some I can make. I'd like to extend the front tires out just past the frame and bumper so that it will crawl onto/over something that it taller than the bumper. I've found the Losi Mini ball ends on fleaBay for about $7 shipped, but no info as to the size all thread I'd need. All I was able to find was 4-40 all thread.

Does anyone know if the 4-40 is what size all thread fits into the Mini ball ends? I'm currently out of town and would like to be able to order all the bits I'd need so that it would be in my mailbox when I get home. I also found some metric pushrods and some small turnbuckle type pushrods that could be adjusted without removing them because of the right/left handed threads.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

its looking mean, here is a link to links

How to build custom links
MikeChino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. That's how I did my SCX10 in the beginning.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:47 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've got a VW Bug body en route. Measurements given put the body barely clearing the Trekker frame. If need be, I'll trim the rails down some for it to fit. But I think it'll work out. I was really wanting a VW Van like the Lunchbox but couldn't find a lexan body. I did find some 1/24 Maisto Samba vans on Amazon for $12 and ordered two of them 'for the kids' to play with inside. One will be going under the knife when it dies and be reborn hopefully as a crawler.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I ordered a pair of Maisto 1/24 Samba Van for the kids to play with inside. We ended up with the surf version that has a targa top. It's all hard plastic and not lexan, but it's a cool little RC for the price I paid.

It's a cheaply made toy and the price represents that. It makes a pop sound when you turn left/right and the steering is not proportional. I couldn't resist the temptation to try this body onto my Trail Trekker and it's almost a perfect fit. It'd need some Losi Micro crawler style body mounts and it'd be good to go.

Micro Wheelie/Lunchbox

Last edited by Brake Weight; 09-21-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Tapatalk pics and not links.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #10
I joined the Band!

^^^^ That TOTALLY Rocks!!!

plenty of room to hide ESC/800mah battery!!!
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

My Bug body came in today. I wasted no time in trimming it some to check fitment and found the frame rails are too long. I saw a set on eBay for cheap last week and passed on them. Looks like I'll find them and get them now. I wouldn't mind trimming one end, both ends will need a god bit. May as well get the MRC frame.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I tried the body on my Redcat Sumo - non crawler and it would be a good fit. But I don't want to put any more money into that as I don't run it often at all.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I put a new plug onto one of the batteries for the TT to match the Chinese ESC I got back around January. I got the ESC to eventually replace the one in that Sumo as I was running extra voltage. It hasn't burnt up yet so I was gonna use it in the TT to be able to run a conventional Tx/Rx. Well, as soon as I tried to turn the servo I let out the smoke. Guess I'll be headed to the LHS tomorrow.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
I joined the Band!

so i just let the smoke out the other day on a losi trekker... bench testing esc... grrrrr

wish we could buy the chips and replace it... but of course after figuring out why it fried...
Old 09-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I just left my LHS and he didn't have what I needed. He had some small eFlite plane 5,10,20 amp ESCs, but nothing land based. I didn't wanna dump another $20-30 into this and have an ESC that won't work.

Any suggestions for a shippable and reasonably priced unit with a lipo cutoff?

Last edited by Brake Weight; 09-23-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Spell checked the spell checker
Old 09-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
RCC Addict

$7.50 plus $3 shipping. Works great for Losi McRC or Trekker from what I read.

RC ESC 10A Brushed Motor Speed Controller for RC Car Boat Tank Without Brake | eBay
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I ordered one similar from NY. It's the same Chinese ones, but you pay a small premium for quicker shipping. All the little ESCs stateside have a brake. I'll give it a whirl in a week.

My MicroRC chassis should be here in about a week also. I had my wife order one more of the Maisto Samba vans using her Amazon Prime and free shipping. Less than $12 for a cool body is worthy of a back up.

I picked up a 75% off micro Losi servo in the sale bin at my LHS. It's the same as what's on the TT complete with a servo saver. I'm thinking rear steer now...
Old 09-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #18
I joined the Band!

hell yeah rear steer!!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
$7.50 plus $3 shipping. Works great for Losi McRC or Trekker from what I read.

RC ESC 10A Brushed Motor Speed Controller for RC Car Boat Tank Without Brake | eBay
sorry n00b comment...

so I know our esc has a rx too... does that have both also? I got a few rigs to build soon when I get time and I need esc's.... with brakes..

also does the losi tx work with this?

/hijack
Old 09-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The Trekker has an ESC/Rx built together as one board. I'm wanting to use a different, smaller in size controller. I'm not smart enough to separate the Rx from the ESC so I'm getting an independent ESC and a separate Rx. Together they'll be slightly bigger than the OEM unit, but it'll open up options.

Trail Trekker into something else. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trail Trekker PCHILNSF Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 07-19-2011 03:24 AM