Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Another 1/35 Orlandoo...nooooooooo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Another 1/35 Orlandoo...nooooooooo

The preliminary build is the same right out of the box and I've a few ideas of my own to show as I go. I started this about 6 weeks ago and have waited on my 200rpm motor that has finally arrived. Now that it's mobile, I'm changing my mind on wheels/tires and paint scheme.

I did a CMS and haven't removed the 4 link to compensate for it yet but it's made with some 0.032" industrial stainless tie wire. Stiffer piano wire would work better and would eventually oxidize, too. I wanted a regular micro servo so I wouldn't have to be stuck with the low voltage gear from BGood. So it's a cheap XYZ esc and a dehoused HPI Rx for now and I'll be using 2s batteries that I run in my LMC and my Micro Rallys.

I was going to order a set of those scale 3D printed wheels/tires for the static models that look oh so good. But I finally decided they were likely stiffer than what I wanted for a crawler and the stock Orlandoo wheels/tires are just too small for me. But I think the Micro T wheels/tires are just right. Although they've been done several times over, I had a brain storm on them after I made a trip to my LHS to get two sets of them...they only had one set.

So, I dug into my box of micro parts and fished out a set of wheels I had ordered last year to put bike grip drift tires on for my Losi Rally. They're for a WLToys 1/24 something. I don't remember the number designation and I never used them because I didn't bother whittling the axle holes out to fit the Losi. But it just so happens to be the same as the Orlandoo's axle. I disassemble the rear axle and used one of the half shafts, mount the shaft to the wheel, and chucked this into my cordless drill. Rubber banded the trigger and shaved the hub out with a fresh blade in the hobby knife. Then chucked that into my baby drill press and lightly smoothed it with some 200 grit paper until it fit perfectly into the barrel of the Micro T front wheel. The front wheels will be the two Guinea pigs for this experiment.

Now attaching them is a different story. I'm hoping to cut out the hub from the Micro T wheels and have the barrel be smooth enough to slip these in square. If so, I think a drop of 5 minute epoxy per spoke should be more than enough to hold it. Then I'll find a little tube that I can sit onto the wheel and give it a blast of spray paint. Figuring out the back spacing and gluing all four the same will be another task.

The paint scheme will be a simple military themed truck. Matte olive drab body with a white star on the door.

I opened the wheels wells a little different from what I've seen, too. They're completely round vs. the slightly egg shaped. I used a cut off handle from a shovel and wrapped it in sandpaper. It worked out well and everyone of them is identical.

I ordered these tires for my Micro Rally but they're too big for those wheels. After getting this Orlandoo I realized they may work. I'm also waiting on a new set of wheels that they'll fit on. Even though they'll likely never get used, it is a possibility.

#CamBrady2017

Last edited by Brake Weight; 07-04-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Another 1/35 Orlandoo...nooooooooo

I whittled out the Micro T front wheels and another hub from the WLToys. It went a lot smoother doing it all on my little drill press. Now I just need to do the rears and sort the backspacing before attaching all of them.

#CamBrady2017
Old 07-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I got the wheels glued together last night. Gave them a shot of matte black this morning through the center hole of an old CD. Mounted them up and discovered that I missed the offset on one of them.

Obligatory mall crawler pics.
There's some rubbing on the rear of the fender. I've since sanded that down.

And I'll need to trim the bumper some more.

I'm overall happy with the wheels aside from the one oddball. I'll tend to that in due time. Hopefully the paint will get sprayed today or tomorrow.

#CamBrady2017
Old 07-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The wiring is definitely getting a haircut. I picked up a new solder station that I'm going to try and shorten the wires at the ESC and servo.

Any ideas on battery mounting location? It's going to suck to have to remove 4 screws and pull the bed and cab to get at the battery each time.

#CamBrady2017
Old 07-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Nice job on the wheels!
Some on my rigs I leave it plugged in, and just leave the balance plug underneath or where i can get to it so I can charge.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I was able to get two coats of Tamiya TS-28 Olive Drab 2 on during the course of today. Between the grilling, eating, and making of ice cream it came out pretty nice. I sprayed a coat of TS-80 Flat Clear to try to seal it in. But I forgot the tailgate. I'm gluing the mirrors and wipers right now and had to use different screws to hold the grill in. I'm thinking I'll pass on the door panel star unless I can find a sticker the right size.

#CamBrady2017
Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've got to sort the wiring and there's some binding in the drivetrain causing some lean over I need to correct. I'm pretty sure it's the hubs contacting the axle housing and just needs a shave. What I thought was a poor installation of the one hub was just poor alignment of the upper links. I sorted that when I did the panhard this morning.

I used the removed upper link and bent it up out of sight and to take up the needed slack to square up the axle.

#CamBrady2017
Old 07-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Nice work on those wheels, love the deep dish look Great colour choice too, it looks boss!

Also good to hear the oddball wasn't so odd after all I think I need me a baby drill press...
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I think I may try to cut out the door windows and the a lot of the roof section of 'glass'. After putting in the windows it added a noticeable amount of weight to the rig. Plus with open windows I may be able to install and remove a battery. I'm wanting to get another one now just for the chassis and drivetrain for some static models I saw at the hobby shop.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I was able to get two coats of Tamiya TS-28 Olive Drab 2 on during the course of today. Between the grilling, eating, and making of ice cream it came out pretty nice. I sprayed a coat of TS-80 Flat Clear to try to seal it in. ....I'm thinking I'll pass on the door panel star unless I can find a sticker the right size.
Color, wheels and everything looks awesome! I'd look for a sticker or decal for the star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I think I may try to cut out the door windows and the a lot of the roof section of 'glass'. After putting in the windows it added a noticeable amount of weight to the rig. Plus with open windows I may be able to install and remove a battery. I'm wanting to get another one now just for the chassis and drivetrain for some static models I saw at the hobby shop.
That would help get the weight down low.

Do it.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote