LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Orlandoo Hunter "Lil Punkin"

Well, four months later, it's done...

TIPS FOR BUYING & BUILDING AN ORLANDOO:
1. Don't
2. If you ignore #1 and you're over 50, refer back to #1
3. If you choose to ignore #1 and #2 doesn't apply, buy a lighted magnifier. A good one.
4. Leave Dr Frankenstyle a scathing message on his thread
5. Assemble it in a bathtub with the drain stoppered. You'll only lose 15% of the parts & hardware that way instead of 35%
6. Yes, there actually is such a thing as a 000 Phillips screwdriver. Get a good one
7. Dip the tip of the screwdriver lightly in the provided grease to keep from losing screws you can't see. Fortunately, they give you a LOT of spares
8. When you think you have the electronics mounted low enough, lower them some more
9. Leave the front bumper off until after you install the servo and horn
10. A "drop" of CA glue takes on a whole new meaning when you get to the exterior body accessories. Use a pin head to transport a measure of glue you can't see to the part...it'll probably still be too much

All that said, the little suckers crawl over anything you throw at them (on a desktop anyway). I won't be doing micro again...I value my sanity. But it's fun!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Orlandoo Hunter "Lil Punkin"

I’ve got one in a box from the when they were first released. After doing the f1fiddy I kinda don’t wanna for all the reasons you listed above.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I’ve got one in a box from the when they were first released. After doing the f1fiddy I kinda don’t wanna for all the reasons you listed above.
The Jeep is actually easier than the F150 supposedly. Or at least that's what others have told me. I guess I'll find out as I have a F150 waiting to be built.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
The Jeep is actually easier than the F150 supposedly. Or at least that's what others have told me. I guess I'll find out as I have a F150 waiting to be built.

Its true, Jeep is easy both build and driving it because i have both of them. F150 is pain in the ass to build because you'll need more work to drill hole and some bearing won't fit into the axle shaft plus screwing the ball links to chassis can be mind boggling..more likely those threaded hole may came loose. Plastic parts on F150 are like plastic soldeir and axle diff gear are made from plastics unlike Jeep. Jeep however was improvement version after F150 and more scale when in comes to base chassis. F150 is hard to crawl in tight corners. But F150 is a must have if you've big fan of 1:35 scale r/c collectors.

Photos:

krawldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I LIKE the color. And your list is good advice too .... well, most of it.
Yeah, I thought they were being pretty generous with the hardware too, 'til I fed a few screws to the vacuum. I never did find that one link-ball.
And yep, I tried using a round toothpick for CA ..... WAY too big of a "drop". Luckily, the thing is so small that most people can't even see the "oops's".

Oh, and there's room for scathing messages in my thread. (or nice ones)

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 03-13-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: roflmao
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Thanks, soze, that makes me feel SO much better lol. Guess there won't be an F150 in my future fo sho! ;)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawldude View Post
Its true, Jeep is easy both build and driving it because i have both of them. F150 is pain in the ass to build because you'll need more work to drill hole and some bearing won't fit into the axle shaft plus screwing the ball links to chassis can be mind boggling..more likely those threaded hole may came loose. Plastic parts on F150 are like plastic soldeir and axle diff gear are made from plastics unlike Jeep. Jeep however was improvement version after F150 and more scale when in comes to base chassis. F150 is hard to crawl in tight corners. But F150 is a must have if you've big fan of 1:35 scale r/c collectors.

Photos:

I was going to do the top contrasting like you did yours (looks good), but I showed the feather.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
I LIKE the color. And your list is good advice too .... well, most of it.
Yeah, I thought they were being pretty generous with the hardware too, 'til I fed a few screws to the vacuum. I never did find that one link-ball.
And yep, I tried using a round toothpick for CA ..... WAY too big of a "drop". Luckily, the thing is so small that most people can't even see the "oops's".

Oh, and there's room for scathing messages in my thread. (or nice ones)

Thanks, Doc...no way was I going to send myself the rest of the way to substance addiction by making D rings and luggage

I got real careful when I was down to my last link ball...wasn't feeling so cavalier about the abundance of spare parts by then!

Old 03-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Alright, you've had a week now, I've been waitin'. Have you turned it into a Lil Jack-o-Lantern yet?
Let's see those lights.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Alright, you've had a week now, I've been waitin'. Have you turned it into a Lil Jack-o-Lantern yet?
Let's see those lights.

LORD no...no lights. Have you seen those itty bitty SMD LEDs?? I haven't ;) Pretty sure it won't ever be crawling in the dark.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
LORD no...no lights. Have you seen those itty bitty SMD LEDs?? I haven't ;) Pretty sure it won't ever be crawling in the dark.

Seen 'em, heck, I've soldered 'em. EXTRA ones (thanks to nate94gt) 'cause I burnt up 2 or 3 of 'em trying. THOSE little bastards are about the most difficult part of the build, if you ask me. Heck, I'll make shackles and hooks all day long to avoid the smd's. I almost just bought some pre-wired ones on ebay, but hey .... I like a challenge, now and then. Luckily, the little pc-board for my roof light came pre-wired, so it was easier. (I like that now and then too.)
Yeah, it's like somebody told me , "... just turn on the living room light", huh.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Seen 'em, heck, I've soldered 'em. EXTRA ones (thanks to nate94gt) 'cause I burnt up 2 or 3 of 'em trying. THOSE little bastards are about the most difficult part of the build, if you ask me. Heck, I'll make shackles and hooks all day long to avoid the smd's. I almost just bought some pre-wired ones on ebay, but hey .... I like a challenge, now and then. Luckily, the little pc-board for my roof light came pre-wired, so it was easier. (I like that now and then too.)
Yeah, it's like somebody told me , "... just turn on the living room light", huh.

Haha...touche.

Want to hear something funny? Ya know what a 2M tech is? Miniature/Microminiature electronic repair technician. That's what I did in the military. I repaired multilayer circuit cards with traces 1/6 of a human hair. If I had to do that now I'd be cross trained or discharged.

I too, my friend, will just turn on the living room light ;)

Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Haha...touche.

Want to hear something funny? Ya know what a 2M tech is? Miniature/Microminiature electronic repair technician. That's what I did in the military. I repaired multilayer circuit cards with traces 1/6 of a human hair. If I had to do that now I'd be cross trained or discharged.

I too, my friend, will just turn on the living room light ;)

Yep, I read your avvy, but didn't know the details. DANG bud', I thought puttin' dcc cards in N-scale train loco's was tough, but that's like 12-ga wire compared to those traces.
A'ight, I'll let you slide, the living rm light does a fine job.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:46 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

ive got a few of both and IMO the Jeep is harder to build and takes about twice as long, Example the Ford chassis is only a few pieces (main plate, motor cover and light buckets) where the jeep chassis is heaps ( 2 rails, 4 buckets, 2 end caps, 2 cross brace, battery tray, skid plate and gearbox halfs) and each part as a few screws.

sure the holes can be a pain to drill out by hand.... but with a dremel it only takes seconds and u will end up with a far more precision hole
Phmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #15

Hi guys, very cool looking orlandoos. I'm still waiting to receive mine but will like to paint it with the same orange colour of the first post. Can you please confirm what paint are you using? Is it the tamiya TS-56?

Thanks!
Airbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Thanks! I used Testors rattle can spray enamel in competition orange (1628T).

Old 11-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #17

Thanks for the quick answer 2mtech!! I’m from spain and don’t know if I will be able to purchase that brand as the main one I know (I’m a newby painting cars) is tamiya...will see if I can find it or, if not, get a similar tone from tamiya.

Thank you very much!
Airbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:11 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Damit.just bought a half built f150.kept telling myself there to small.maybe I'll just save myself the headache and toss in dumpster
1tuffmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuffmj View Post
Damit.just bought a half built f150.kept telling myself there to small.maybe I'll just save myself the headache and toss in dumpster
Now you know why it was half built.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I might have to give one of these a shot, tiny screws don't bother me..

(Macbook Pro keyboard screws, there's at least 50 of them in each keyboard, lol)
Attached Images

JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Orlandoo Hunter "Lil Punkin" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joshie builds a berg "Bounty Hunter Style" Joshie EnRoute Berg 16 05-17-2016 12:36 PM
Arcc "Zombie Hunter" G6 Nov 23rd ROLANDROCKSHOP Competitions 57 11-24-2013 09:10 AM
Spare parts build for my son "Rock Hunter" CarterFab 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 04-10-2012 02:30 PM