Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Micro pinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Micro pinions

Hello all! I have a losi micro crawler I'm looking to get running. Right now it has some Spin HO46-8800Kv b/l helicopter motor with a 1.5mm shaft and a losi xceleron 1:36 b/l ESC in it and I can't find pinions for it. So I'm thinking about picking up an atomic bb motor for it and a cheap brushed ESC. I thought about getting a different b/l motor, but found allot of people have had cogging issues with the micro b/l motors at low speed. I was wondering if there are other rigs I could find a pinion for that would work on this setup? It has a HR 56t spur gear. Since losi discontinued these rigs I have a hell of a time finding info or parts for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
AnimalHippie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Micro pinions

I use the pinions from my busted 1/10 sized servos. If you open it up they’ll be one in there. Usually brass.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

0.3 mod pinions with 1.5mm bore for the motor shaft is what you want.
You can sometimes find them on heli sites, but they are getting hard to find.
I have a large batch of metal 9t pinions OTW, but it will be another month or so before they get here and I'll still have to drill the center bore out.

As far as cogging issues that's to be expected with higher KV brushless. You can either get lots of gear reduction and make up for the speed loss with more voltage, or try a lower KV OutRunner.
IMO for many people A good brushed DDT motor wound by Dan with proper spur and pinion is the way to go.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Last edited by spoo76; 02-26-2019 at 10:12 AM.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks for the input guys! Very helpful knowing what specs I'm looking for. I only have one broken servo I can see if it has one that will work. Stock Trx servo. Where do I find the DDT motors by Dan? Not looking for speed as it is a crawler. Torque & a little wheel speed is what I'm after. I found a couple places over seas with brass 0.3 mod 1.5mm bore 10t & 11t pinions. Might try to order a couple this evening to try out. Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Send a message to Danally on this forum. If you send him a Losi micro motor he can re-wind it for more torque and slower speed. It has to be a Losi micro or even An atomic BB, not the Ambush,ECX,or RC4WD.
You'll also have to provide the motor since they are no longer being made.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Thank you spool! If the pinion I order doesn't give me the results I'm after. Then I will probably get the atomic bb and give it a shot. Really want to see what this little guy can do.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

So I'm on lunch break and looked up your motor. I see it's a high KV OutRunner. Being an OutRunner you may not experience the same cogging issues you'd have with a typical inrunner brushless. I'd also look for a 58t aluminum spur gear from a Losi 1/24 Rally/SCT/Truggy. The center hole is bigger, but you can flip your slipper nut around it will hold it down. That's the biggest Spur you can easily fit on the Losi transmission without hitting the output shaft. You may need to shim the spur gear. That spur and a 9t or 10t pinion may work well with that motor

Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'd be interested in seeing a pic with that motor installed in there if you happen to have one. I am looking for other motor options just because I like brushless
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:59 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Thank you again spoo! I worked on this for a few mins last night. Pulled my burnt Trx servo apart and found a tiny 10t gear on the motor shaft. Put it on the micro motor. It didn't go on very tight tho. Tried moving the motor all around in the available motor positions but the holes are not going to get it close enough to mesh right. Going to hunt down the right size bit for my Dremel today to hopefully grind one of the mount holes to where it will work. I will take some pics of it once I get everything right. Hopefully this motor will work out.

Micro pinions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pinions bigg rocker Axial SCX-10 3 12-31-2010 08:40 PM