Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: FTX Mini with Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series (with Video)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default FTX Mini with Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series (with Video)

Hi all,

Have been away from this forum due to work, family etc for a while, but with the lockdown, I have a bit of time to come back to this hobby.

I got an FTX mini (UK) or being named the RGT Barage elsewhere as a 2017 birthday present. First run was disappointed so didn't use it since. I then encountered a YouTube video of someone swapping a Tamiya low speed motor into this FTX so got one of those (motor pictured below). This motor has then been sat for another few year until a month ago.

Personnally I love Toyota Land Cruiser and I have a 90 series 1:1. Hence I got an 80 series 1/24 scale FUJIMI model on my 2018 birthday.

This again has been sat for a few years.

First I assembly the Tamiya motor, quite simple and straightforward, the challenge was to drill a tiny 1.5mm hole in the TAMIYA 3mm motor shaft to allow the FTX drive shaft to be installed to the new motor.

I then created a cut out steel to house the motor into the existing motor mount from the FTX, I have to trim short the drive shaft front and back to fit this motor in, otherwise it binds as the motor is bigger than the original.

Motor installed.

Next is my Toyota body, I decided to go for black. But I didn't do a good paint work this time, was quite disappointed but hey it's still fun!

Primer first then black coat:

You can see some bubbly paint at the bonnet... But I went with it, didn't bother re-painted.

Then find ways to mount the body onto the FTX, I have also found an old bull bar from my mini Z Overland days nd it fits the size of this.

Also got myself the FTX 2.0 wheels and tyres. Much better than the original ones (which were glued on).

And more photos:

Then ready for some action:

WITH the VIDEO! Link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNHRxv86QH0

Last edited by Aeronuclear; 05-07-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Aeronuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #2

Default Re: FTX Mini with Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series

Very cool micro project! Nice job.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Very cool micro project! Nice job.
The torque from the TAMIYA motor is amazing.. This is only the second level, I can increase the Torque more but it will slow down the truck so sticking with this gear at the moment. Fun enough...
Old 05-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronuclear View Post
The torque from the TAMIYA motor is amazing.. This is only the second level, I can increase the Torque more but it will slow down the truck so sticking with this gear at the moment. Fun enough...

Good to know. I sacrificed a Sumo style transmission for my Barrage. I could use this tranny to lower those extra axles then.

Love me some TLC, too.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:06 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default Re: FTX Mini with Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series (with Video)

In fact I was confident that the Tamiya motor is so good that I bought 2 and pop the other in my Rc4wd 1/18: the motor has 4 gears so I know I can select the appropriate one. You have to take the motor out to change the gear but I know I have options.

Video of the Rc4wd with the same motor and at the same slope.

https://youtu.be/6w6YE4pB0k0

FTX Mini with Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series (with Video) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rgt adventurer ecx barrage ftx outback mini vs the mountain mini series part 3 shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 03-12-2018 12:10 PM
Part 2 rgt adventurer ecx barrage ftx outback mini vs the mountain mini series shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-19-2018 07:24 AM
Wow rgt adventurer ecx barrage ftx outback mini mountain run mini series shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-02-2018 07:07 AM
Toyota Land Cruiser 70 series adamsfly Scale Videos! 1 02-01-2016 04:37 PM
Toyota land cruiser 80 lappdogg 1.9 Scale Rigs 25 10-14-2014 12:32 PM