Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scx24 build advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2022, 12:25 PM   #1

Default Scx24 build advice

Hi guys this is my first post. I live in Alaska and have two scx24’s coming in the mail to do builds on with my son who’s 8. Quality time together, it should be fun. We are building a foam indoor course similar to the one the guy on YouTube uses named (2FM RC). It should give us a fun project to get through this last little bit of winter.

My goal is to build rigs aimed at slower speed crawlability and I have some questions.

I’ve ordered a bunch of parts so far. Can I have a super capable crawler with good slow speed control with the factory esc?

Are Patagonia and the wranglers big enough or should I look elsewhere on tires? The 1.2 size stuff is intriguing but I’m not sure they will work well on trimmed stock bodies?

What are your thoughts on weight? Would brass/metal everything preform best assuming I have some weight up front?

Do all brushed motors burn out quick or is it just the stocker that stinks?

Do you guys have any recommendation on the best shocks? I have the Mofo shocks coming for one of our rigs, I also ordered the aluminum shock mounts to go with them. If there are better options I’ll order others recommended if need be? I’m a little concerned that I need limiters to get those shock to preform their best? I will need to place another order if limiters are a must.

The Mofo portals look really cool but I’m not sure about the improved performance with the center of gravity being raised. Does anyone have thoughts on running portals?

Here is what I’ve ordered so far let me know if any parts are a no go for what we are trying to do.
eBay e max servos
Mofo emax servi mount
Mofo emax servo horn aluminum
Mofo brass steering links
Mofo beadlock wheels with rings
Mofo brass Plus 5mm hex extender weights
Mofo brass knuckles
Mofo +6 brass extender hubs
Mofo Shocks
Mofo shock mounts aluminum
Torque beast brushed motor
Mofo bras diff cover
Hot racing diff cover with skid plate
Treal beadlock 1.0
Full set of RC4wd wranglers and Patagonias.

I’ll post pictures here as these builds progress.

Thanks again everyone for your time and any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated.

Trevor

Last edited by Alaskan; 02-23-2022 at 12:40 PM.
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Scx24 build advice

Well if you're worried about the stock motor, you're definitely heading down that road by adding all that weight. I guess if you have all that stuff on the way then go for it but I feel that starting slow and adding mods only as necessary is the way to go... especially for a rig this size.

The servo is money well spent for sure... as well as the mount. The alum horn isn't a necessity but whatever on that. Biggest performance gain that I accomplished was ditching the stock foam-less tires and going with a nice soft rc4wd MTR with supplied foams as well as aluminum wheels and brass diff-covers. Brass hexes is a good bet too from what I've seen.

RC4WD carries a drop in replacement motor but I haven't used it yet nor do I know how much better it is regarding longevity. As for the shocks, I would wait to do shocks until you have some other things installed and dialed in. I will say though that the stock shocks don't offer much if any performance so depending on how stiff or supple the new shocks are as compared to the weight of the rig when all's said and done, they may add some degree of performance.

I actually haven't been too disappointed by the stock esc although it's certainly worth upgrading if you can. On a rig this small all that I really care about is that I have at least a somewhat controlled and gradual acceleration and that the brake is capable of holding. There's probably better out there that maybe someone will chime in about.

I wouldn't ( at least for now) upgrade the axles especially talking about portals. I think that your motor should be addressed first. You're looking at adding a LOT of weight to this rig so hard to say right now how or if that stock motor is going to handle all of that.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #3

Thanks drifter,

I have these parts to split between our two rigs. Thanks for all the great info and taking time to respond! I did get a mofo Brushed motor that is supposed to work with the factory speed control. I went with stock gearing on it and it’s supposed to have way more power with better slow speed control and similar top speed to the factory motor. We will probably put all these parts in my kids C10. I want him to be excited and enjoy the process of tinkering. He’s been crazy about legos and this RC stuff might be the next evolution in the building/tinkering bug.
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You got it... Although I'm not much help regarding most of the parts that you have coming in. If nothing else figured I'd at least share my personal experience with this little rig.

And the great thing as you've said, is that the world of RC is a fantastic platform for kids to learn about so many things beyond simply wrenching and playing... mechanics, physics, trial/ error, failure/ success... and probably the most important thing of all, which is the social interaction with their parents. Sounds like y'all are going to have some good times ahead. Just don't let him outdo you too often... at least not until he gets a little older lol.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx24 build advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General SCX24 Hop up experience/advice GuyOverThere Micro Scale Rigs 23 08-19-2021 07:04 PM
Bigworm’s SCX24 Build BIGW0RM Micro Scale Rigs 147 05-28-2021 10:54 AM
SCX24 KOH Build motiracer38 Micro Scale Rigs 19 03-16-2021 09:49 PM
SCX24 shock advice GuyOverThere Micro Scale Rigs 11 10-27-2020 08:30 PM
Scx24 truggy build... lilws6 Micro Scale Rigs 21 08-13-2019 12:28 PM