Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX24 shock advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SCX24 shock advice

Hello,
I was hoping to catch some first hand accounts of various shocks on the SCX24. Basically I see tons and tons of threads saying I put shock XYZ on my rig but no one ever really talks about what sort of difference it actually made to the rig other than it's not bouncy like the stock shocks. I've been looking into possibly doing old man emu shocks on a C10 I just purchased already have a deadbolt still rocking stock shocks. The two major selections I see are hot racing and Old Man Emu shocks I would be interested to know what other options people choose and how those two options worked out.

Thus I put it to you my fellow Micro enthusiasts.
What shocks did you use?
Why did you use them?
Have you tried other types of shocks as well?
What were the end results?
GuyOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #2

Default Re: SCX24 shock advice

I would love more in-depth advice on shock upgrades for my deadbolts as well. I’d probably just go with hit racing’s but they are out of stock.
Creepincrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion's sake.

I'm running a droop setup right now and really like it. I have the shocks in their factory position, I just removed the springs. It drops the chassis down super low and reduces the bouncing / power hop almost entirely. Climbing is very stable and predictable.

My truck is solely used for slow speed crawling, so if you're doing any higher speed trail riding your requirements may differ, but I really like this setup for crawling so far.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion's sake.

I'm running a droop setup right now and really like it. I have the shocks in their factory position, I just removed the springs. It drops the chassis down super low and reduces the bouncing / power hop almost entirely. Climbing is very stable and predictable.

My truck is solely used for slow speed crawling, so if you're doing any higher speed trail riding your requirements may differ, but I really like this setup for crawling so far.
That is 100% that kind of information I was hoping for. Like I said there is tons of people who say I used setup XYZ but there is very little info on how it all works out. Did you so something to dampen your shocks a bit? If not I imagine some damping would let you do the trail running. I wouldn't really consider anything this truck does as fast lol and I do want it simply for crawling. I would go nuts trying to trail this thing just a bit to slow as you can out walk it at a slow pace.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOverThere View Post
That is 100% that kind of information I was hoping for. Like I said there is tons of people who say I used setup XYZ but there is very little info on how it all works out. Did you so something to dampen your shocks a bit? If not I imagine some damping would let you do the trail running. I wouldn't really consider anything this truck does as fast lol and I do want it simply for crawling. I would go nuts trying to trail this thing just a bit to slow as you can out walk it at a slow pace.
No damping right now. I run it indoors a lot and can't get myself to use grease for fear of leakage.

Some additional damping would be nice for sure, but honestly at slow speeds it's not terrible being undamped. Removing the spring from the system calms it down quite a bit.

I'm often near balance point with this thing (not hard to do considering how little it is, haha), and it stays planted and predictable the whole time. Even when it starts to unload, it does it slowly; I assume since there's no spring to push it along.

I'm new to scale rigs and they carry a LOT of weight in the chassis. Getting that weight as low as possible is huge. Ride height on the 'bumpstops' is about as low as you can go.

If nothing else it's a cheap (free!) and easy mod to try before spending the money on aftermarket shocks. I may still end up with new shocks for curiosity's sake, but I'm happy with how it does right now.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:45 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I am fine with using the stock shocks.
I use Squirt wax bicycle chain lube inside for damping, and run the shocks upside down to help retain the lube. What leaks out is fairly clean and dry.
I also mount them to the frame rails to soften the suspension.
Attached Images

shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
I am fine with using the stock shocks.
I use Squirt wax bicycle chain lube inside for damping, and run the shocks upside down to help retain the lube. What leaks out is fairly clean and dry.
I also mount them to the frame rails to soften the suspension.

That's a clever idea mounting the shocks upside down so they don't leak as bad.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I ended up going for some old man emu 40mm shocks so I will post some updates with my experience with them.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOverThere View Post
I ended up going for some old man emu 40mm shocks so I will post some updates with my experience with them.
Oooh big spender! I'm actually really curious about the springs that come with that set. On their 1/18's there's likely enough weight to compress the soft springs, but the scx might be too light.
Dogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogahn View Post
Oooh big spender! I'm actually really curious about the springs that come with that set. On their 1/18's there's likely enough weight to compress the soft springs, but the scx might be too light.
I mean yes, I guess... They aren't that much more than HR shocks. like $4 USD so its not the end of the world. I'm also not great at making my own parts/mods so I do tend to throw money at my rigs. I am going to try my hand at some custom links and high clearance links for my SCX24s.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #11

I was pretty satisfied with the stock shocks and using grease. The grease did tend to run down the shock and gather dirt.

I got some HR shocks and put a drop of 1000cst oil in them. They do leak less thank the stockers, and perform about the same. If you don't need the bling I think greased stockers mounted upside down like shiggy mentioned above would be the way to go.
Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I installed some old man emu shocks. Took out the springs out to run full droop. Wowza what a difference. I put just a drop of shock oil in them to keep them silky smooth. I was able to do a ton of things I couldn't with the stockers and they look spiffy as well.

SCX24 shock advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 Shock upgrade ??? JLOC Micro Scale Rigs 42 05-06-2020 12:38 PM
Scx24 shock upgrade? Jppr26 Micro Scale Rigs 5 05-04-2020 06:18 AM
SCX24 Shock Grease Wisceaux Micro Scale Rigs 2 03-13-2020 08:49 AM
SCX24 Shock and Tire Upgrade LRTd5 Videos! 2 02-25-2020 01:27 PM
Shock & spring advice for GCM shock hoops. Ca. Off Roader Vaterra Twin Hammers 11 01-04-2016 12:17 PM