Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scx24 front axle half shaft binding in drive cups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #1

Default Scx24 front axle half shaft binding in drive cups

Anyone had experience with this? I have the hot racing front axle case and the brass knuckles. If I have the entire front diff out of the truck and turn the knuckles back and forth to simulate a turn, I am getting binding from the half shaft at the dog bone inside of the drive cup. It binds up inside the cup. It is not much, but enough to cause enough resistance to affect the servo from properly turning the wheels. I searched and searched for the issue after noticing not being able to turn very well while driving at times. The odd thing is, it changes with different positions of the gearing in the diff.
Example: I notice it binding slightly, then spin the main driveshaft 1/4 turn or so to rotate the gears in the diff, and the binding at the steering knuckle is gone. Does this on both sides. Anyone had this? I am interested to know if you have this issue with the stock axle case OR the hot racing version. I intend to reassemble the stock front diff and case and check for the same issue, but at the moment I’m not sure why the HR axle case alone would cause this. And the stock knuckles won’t work properly with the HR axle case.

Last edited by Ho11owPoint; 02-15-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Ho11owPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #2

Default Re: Scx24 front axle shaft binding in drive cups

I think I’m going to get a new digital micrometer and mic the cups and the shafts etc. had one go missing years ago and never replaced it. But honestly you need one for tinkering in rc I’m starting to find. I really want to keep using this axle case. Much prefer all the bolting points of the suspension screws going into aluminum rather than plastic, especially as much as this thing gets tore down lately. The binding is very minimal, but it is definitely what was causing the weak steering I was experiencing. Im also hoping that the Shapeways steering links help remedy the issue. If not that, I’m sure a stronger servo should do the job. It’s not enough binding to cause mechanical damage to anything, but just enough to impede the servo’s performance. These things are too small and slow to get all serious about perfect tolerances. If the natural wear of the cups (or new drive cups) combined with the stronger steering links don’t fix it, I think I’m going to just look into a stronger servo. Sorry for the books!

Last edited by Ho11owPoint; 02-15-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Ho11owPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Scx24 front axle half shaft binding in drive cups

I’m getting the same binding. Also using the HR aluminum axle. I’ve upgraded to the emax servo it still binds enough that in reverse it pops the Shapeways link off the hub. I’ve had to reduce the steering throw to solve this. However the truck now has the turning radius of a semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Pull the axle out and look over the pin on the end. Mine were loose and both ended up having the pin work its way out so one end extended far enough to start rubbing on the housing itself.

Clean them up and apply some CA to them and center the pins.

I dont recall if this showed up as binding the steering because I noticed and fixed this before driving it. It did bind up just moving forward.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Subscribed. I was eyeballing those metal axles. I wondered how well they where made. Hopefully its an easy fix OP. Thanks for posting this.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Default Scx24 front axle half shaft binding in drive cups

Love them so far. Good build quality.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Turns out the drive cups have little silicone o rings in them.

Scx24 front axle half shaft binding in drive cups - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
drive shaft binding cerpindicular Newbie General 11 04-27-2014 10:47 PM
question about drive shaft binding kroocer Tamiya CR-01 6 12-18-2008 06:15 PM
Grinding front drive cups.... chops1sc Axial AX-10 Scorpion 19 07-16-2008 01:15 AM
problems with axle dogbones binding in the drive cups? gobucks Kyosho Crawlers 4 08-09-2005 07:32 PM