Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 2mm shaft pinion help needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 2mm shaft pinion help needed.

Gentlemen,

I have this brushless micro motor for my mini q.

Unhappy with the overall performance of my RC4WD blackjack. I am tempted to turn it into a higher speed mud truck.

The motor fits with plenty of room. But the shaft is 2mm. Not 1.5mm found on the Rc4wd blackjack motor.

I believe the stock pinion is 0.3 MOD. But I can not seem to fine any 0.3 MOD Pinions with a 2mm shaft. They all seem to come with 1.5mm.

What do I do? Am I not looking hard enough?
Do I have to swap my spur gear to another pitch (to match whatever 2mm pinion I do find)?

I’ve seen some of you use 130 motors or the Holmes revolvers. Both of which come with 2mm shaft.

So is there a 2mm 0.3 MOD pinion out there?
Or do I need to find a new spur gear?

Or should I just keep this motor in my mini Q touring car and look for a 1.5mm motor shaft brushless?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2mm shaft pinion help needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Gentlemen,

I have this brushless micro motor for my mini q.

Unhappy with the overall performance of my RC4WD blackjack. I am tempted to turn it into a higher speed mud truck.

The motor fits with plenty of room. But the shaft is 2mm. Not 1.5mm found on the Rc4wd blackjack motor.

I believe the stock pinion is 0.3 MOD. But I can not seem to fine any 0.3 MOD Pinions with a 2mm shaft. They all seem to come with 1.5mm.

What do I do? Am I not looking hard enough?
Do I have to swap my spur gear to another pitch (to match whatever 2mm pinion I do find)?

I’ve seen some of you use 130 motors or the Holmes revolvers. Both of which come with 2mm shaft.

So is there a 2mm 0.3 MOD pinion out there?
Or do I need to find a new spur gear?

Or should I just keep this motor in my mini Q touring car and look for a 1.5mm motor shaft brushless?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've never seen a readily available off the shelf 0.3 mod 2.0mm bore pinion. Everyone seems to use a 1.5mm bore brass pinions and opens it up to 2mm. I've used drill bits and very small round files, but there's better ways of doing it.
I recommend an 11t pinion. The 10t seems to break when opened to 2mm

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by spoo76; 03-14-2020 at 11:31 PM.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If you don't mind waiting a month you can order custom brass gears from Germany. It's not the cheapest way of doing it however.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:53 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default 2mm shaft pinion help needed.

Thank you Spoo76! I appreciate the advice.

I guess I’ll scratch this idea for now.

I did however find that hot racing offers a .5 MOD spur gear for the SCX24 now. But I’m happy with mine and it’s 050 motor upgrade.

Wish they had one for the mini Rc4wd tranny. I’d be set to try this out.

No way I’d put this unsensored motor in my scx24. I’m more then happy with mine and the 050 motor.

Well thanks none the less. I’ll probably just try something else.

Thank you.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I hope you find a pinion that works. I’ve been wanting to see a brushless go fast 1/18 gelande for awhile now. I’ve seen one or two that were brushless but they were never geared for speed.
twomicros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomicros View Post
I hope you find a pinion that works. I’ve been wanting to see a brushless go fast 1/18 gelande for awhile now. I’ve seen one or two that were brushless but they were never geared for speed.
Thank you. Mine has a lot of slop in the drive train and doesnt turn very well so I figured why not just make it bronco over mud puddles as fast as it can and fling mud with those HBX tires.

I found that HR makes a 0.5 MOD spur gear for the SXC24 which would allow me to try this brushsless motor on my SCX24 (once i get a 0.5 mod 2mm pinion which are easier to find). But I dont want a fast SCX24. That will be slow and torquey for life.

I should check to see if the SCX24 spur fits on the RC4WD tranny. I doubt it does, but I have an extra RC4WD tranny laying around.

I'll keep this updated as I progress. IF I progress.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomicros View Post

Just in case this tickles your fancy. I put a ECX 050 long can motor in mine and that motor came with a 12T pinion. That combo would wheelie my black jack. Not on demand every time. But it would wheelie. I ended up using the 11T or 10T pinion that came on the RC4WD mini motor on the ECX 050. So I doesnt wheelie anymore. But it did with that ECX motor and pinion it came with. But I want it to burn out and really fling mud. So I want even more power.

But its a cheap fix for the mean time.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynamit...ns1203/p708441

2mm shaft pinion help needed. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor shaft to driveshaft adapter (3.2mm to 5mm) JoeThePro Newbie General 8 02-19-2017 10:02 AM
2mm motor shaft pinion question jebster General Crawlers 3 11-04-2015 12:07 AM
where to buy pinion gear with 2mm bore? needle Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 02-22-2010 01:30 AM
HELP need pinion shaft budleyh General Crawlers 4 04-09-2008 11:49 PM