Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Panda Hobby Tetra; Fried ESC/TX? Golden upgrade ticket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #1

Default Panda Hobby Tetra; Fried ESC/TX? Golden upgrade ticket?

TL;DR -
Fried ESC in X2 truck;
Can I put AXIAL AE-6 ESC/TX combo in?
Would it crawl better with it?
Would the rc4wd R5 v2 tranny plug and play?

--------

Hi everyone! After trolling these forums and reading all the amazing advise and stories, I joined up and have some questions. 1st post . I tried searching and wasn't sure to post in the newbie section or not, but here goes... Total newbie, so sorry if the questions are obvious or silly. Don't know much about electronics or RC.

My friend and I just purchased a couple of Panda Hobby tetra trucks (X2 and K1) for our 7 year olds (Leave my 1/10 Enduros alone! lol). They love them. Cool little trucks, little jumpy on the throttle though.

Unfortunately the X2 seems to have blown its ESC/TX combo. It has had about 4-5 batteries run though it in total. While out on the trail yesterday, the battery got to its end and cut off, kid came over to get the battery changed, and hit the throttle again to "show" it was flat. We heard a pop (like a stick snapping) but didn't think anything of it as we though maybe it was a stick (bush). Changed the battery, no forward throttle? Steering, lights and reverse all work fine. oh the tears that were had.

When we got home, tried the ESC/TX combo from the other truck, works fine. Damn. So looks like something up with the ESC/TX unit?

We were using 2s 800mah 7.4v Lipo, which had been run though a couple of times already and the other truck was using. The ESC seems fine with them, and the cut of worked on both trucks. Hobby shop guy and a couple of forums posts I've seem seems to indicate the ESC is compatible with Lipo. SO I don't think that is the problem.

Any ideas? or does that sound about right?

Unfortunately, in Aus, parts are a pain to get (usually have to order and wait) for less common things.

So we got thinking, golden ticket to upgrade what was supposed to be a cheap truck for the kids into something expensive that I could have just spent on a better truck anyway. lol always the way.

The Axial AE-6 ESC/TX (from the SCX-24) combo seems to the be compatible with the Hand Transmitter from what I could find. They look the same and FCC listings/data sheets and numbers are the same for both. Seems to be Spektrum radios. It might be easier to get as well. They also look pretty similar.

Would the AE-6 also be more smooth on the throttle curves as well? The panda is really jumpy.

The truck is also a bit speedy and tends to power over everything instead of crawl, could I put the rc4wd R5 v2 tranny in it? I heard good things about it on these forums and around, and it looks visually that it would plug and play (or almost)
https://store.rc4wd.com/R5-118-Mini-...V2_p_5805.html

Any ideas about how to give the truck more low end crawler torque? Hopping for some semi plug and play, I couldn't fab my own gear (yet) like some of you amazing people.

Sorry for the novel, I tried searching the forms and web for that last couple of days and couldn't come up with anything.
Headless Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2020, 05:21 AM   #2

Default Re: Panda Hobby Tetra; Fried ESC/TX? Golden upgrade ticket?

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this issue as this has just happened to my sons. I am wondering if they are not compatible with Lipo batteries?

Would appreciate any help to get it back up and running.

Thanks,
jmitch_uk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:26 AM   #3

Default Re: Panda Hobby Tetra; Fried ESC/TX? Golden upgrade ticket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitch_uk2 View Post
Hi,

Did you ever resolve this issue as this has just happened to my sons. I am wond......

Thanks,
Kind of.

The problem ended up being a bad motor and not the ESCs. We actually ended up putting 3 ESC through it in total.

Upon thinking the third ESC popped and a lot of communication with the importer in here in AUS. we ended up sending it to them to check it out as they were are stumped as us.

Their tech figured out it was a bad motor. The third ESC that we thought popped was actually fine (And possibly the 2nd one, but I had chucked it in the bin in a fit of rage by then).

The tech reckoned the newer batch of motor are slightly different and shouldn't be a problem again???

It has been fine so far. Haven't had any issue with LIPO in both trucks.

The Motor/ESC problem occurred with both LIPO and Stock Battery (we stoped using the LIPO in the iffy truck as a test and it "blew" on the stock as well)

Still haven't tried / figured out if the rc4wd R5 v2 will fit / work. I would have to import it from the States and would cost about $50 DollaryDoos so I haven't worked up the courage to give it a shot and I'm not experienced enough in modding RCs to know if it is possible.
Headless Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ae-6, panda hobby, rc4wd r5, tetra

Panda Hobby Tetra; Fried ESC/TX? Golden upgrade ticket? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panda Hobby Tera X1 Shape_Shifter Micro Scale Rigs 114 04-16-2021 07:07 AM
Panda Hobby Tetra K1 Power Wagon AK KRAWLER Micro Scale Rigs 3 04-29-2020 10:58 PM
Has this been seen, panda hobby Frank211 Micro Scale Rigs 3 03-31-2020 11:44 AM
Panda Hobby Tetra K1 (New) Shape_Shifter Micro Scale Rigs 4 01-11-2020 11:44 AM
Panda Hobby Sport Tetra K1 Unclelee Micro Scale Rigs 5 01-08-2020 09:57 PM