Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Where can I get pinion gears for Barrage motor for scx24

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Default Where can I get pinion gears for Barrage motor for scx24

I got my 6 yr old granddaughter a scx24 while she was in Ohio visiting us from NV where she lives. She loved it and we all had a blast on an indoor course I set up. She was not able to take it on the airplane back so I want to modify it and beef any weak parts up before I ship it out there so it will last a while before needing repair at which time I hope a local hobby shop is available to do so.

One of the things I want to do is change out the weak servo and motor to a barrage motor and I wanted it to go just a tad faster as I don't think she quite gets the slow crawling thing and would like to go a bit faster. I bought RC4WD and Barrage motors to start modifying these things and the barrage motor has no pinion.

So I say all that to ask where can I find pinions to buy and which motor and pinion size would you recommend for it to go a bit faster and be reliable.

I am also going to put a EMAX ES08MA II servo in and make the jeep body fasten in the front with magnets to simplify things. I also bought ( Blomiky 3 Pack 7.4V 850mAh 25C Lipo Battery with JST Plug and Charger) from amazon and (OliRC 6pcs JST to PH 2P Lipo Battery Adapter Cables) from amazon so she has long run times and does not have to unplug anything from the ESC to charge the battery.

Please let me know about the pinions and anything else you recommend.

Thanks for any info I now have 4 of these until I ship one. Fun indoor entertainment and family fun.
slowpoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Where can I get pinion gears for Barrage motor for scx24

I haven't personally swapped pinions so I can't say for sure, but I've read that almost all motors these size us a 0.3 mod gear with a 1.5mm bore. I also can't speak to tooth count for speed. Not much help here, haha.

I will say that you'll need a new motor plate or you'll have to modify your existing one if you want to run the Barrage motor. It's mounting hole pattern is exactly opposite that of the stock motor (mirrored across the shaft).

I would've previously recommended the EMAX as well, but I just had one glitch on me yesterday. Others have had the same issue. They swing hard to the left and stick there - my (3d printed) drag link broke when mine did it.

The suitable replacement seems to be the MG90S. Haven't purchased one so I can't speak to fit or performance, but I hear good things.

I'd advocate for a steering link upgrade, though the stock linkage can be tightened up by placing O rings under the joints as well.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #3

Default Re: Where can I get pinion gears for Barrage motor for scx24

I forgot to mention that I did also buy some aluminum motor mount plates from eBay that are made to bolt up the barrage motor.
I have done google searches for the mod 0.3 x 1.5mm shaft pinion and have come up with nothing. I am guessing a 12T pinion which is one tooth bigger than a stock scx24 will make it a bit faster if I can find one. I will try the local hobby shop.

I may have to bail on the EMAX servo and get the one you recommend and also get some HR steering links. Thanks for the heads up and info
slowpoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Where can I get pinion gears for Barrage motor for scx24 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx24 barrage motor hot Chilly20 Micro Scale Rigs 5 06-04-2020 11:01 PM
SCX24 Barrage motor / Are pinions available chipgibbs Micro Scale Rigs 0 03-13-2020 04:56 AM
SCX24 ECX Barrage Motor Mount RexRacer19 MOD19RC 2 01-30-2020 10:25 AM
SCX24 Motor Pinion? BIGW0RM Micro Scale Rigs 24 10-01-2019 12:59 PM