Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Whats the answer to double barrel shocks binding so much once installed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2023, 02:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Whats the answer to double barrel shocks binding so much once installed?

So I've got a set of double barrel 49mm (I believe) shocks on my completely "comp rig" scx24. I've toyed with spacers and making sure the wider flange on the eyelet was facing the chassis but I keep having binding issues... The truck will flex out, but not smoothly. Once its there, it doesn't want to return normally and will ride at full ride height not even touching the spring on the perch. I thought the spring rates were too much, so I threw in my stock shock springs so it would sit at a lower droop. This allowed me to get some different shock alignment and not have to worry about the truck sitting too high. I haven't found a shorter shock that was still a long body that wasn't a double barrel, but I have seen several mentions that people didn't like double barrel for similar reasons. I'm considering using a stock AX24 shock to see if it will have a smoother action. If anyone has suggestions I'm happy to take them and run with it.

VenomousSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Whats the answer to double barrel shocks binding so much once installed?

Try spacing the top of the shot out a couple of mm. I think a lot of people run them upside down too.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 03:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Whats the answer to double barrel shocks binding so much once installed?

Remove 1 o-ring from the bigger side of the little ball joints, top and bottom. That will free them up a little and allow them to have more range of motion.
I had the same issue and it made a big difference
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:24 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default Whats the answer to double barrel shocks binding so much once installed?

It's the alignment. They must be perfectly inline from mount to mount. Looks like your bottoms stick out further than the tops. I have a similar chassis with those shocks and my upper ends have a 1 or 2mm spacer between the chassis and upper shock. My barrel shocks came with them. Without them mine would bind too.

BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yep, like they said. Spacers.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
Ynad is offline   Reply With Quote

Whats the answer to double barrel shocks binding so much once installed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 - Kentic Double Barrel Shocks Gramps Micro Scale Rigs 8 05-17-2021 07:04 PM
Axial scx24 Kinetic double barrel shock Rcing4life Videos! 0 12-09-2020 07:33 PM
What's the answer to Enduro shocks leaking constantly easynow Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 15 12-12-2019 06:17 AM
cjgotch's Willys Truck "Double Barrel" cjgotch Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 25 01-09-2015 05:24 PM
What shocks are installed on this Trekker? Hydro-Tank General Crawlers 2 07-21-2011 07:18 PM