Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: First run with high trail F-150

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2023, 02:13 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First run with high trail F-150

First run, I'm impressed. The steering on this truck is insane! I thought my FCX had a tight turning circle but dang, this something else. Mods so far are Treal aluminum beadlocks with brass rings and 64mm Injora hyrax clones borrowed from my FCX, moved the rear shock tower forward by one hole, threw some little hair tie rubber bands around the shocks to force full droop, ditched the roll bar, and installed tail lights.

The wheels and tires turned out to be a perfect fit. No rubbing at all. Should have remembered to pick up the crawler gears when I was at the LHS, but oh well. The slope in the first pic is really steep, like hard to walk up, and the F-150 pulled some of the trickiest lines no problem. Well, not quite "no problem" but it made it! The hill is really steep and covered in loose dirt so the wheelspeed from the medium gears probably helped.

Last edited by Whats_a_dickfer; 12-03-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Whats_a_dickfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2023, 03:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First run with high trail F-150

Right on!! That's a great looking truck. The size of those tires suit it perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:53 PM   #3

Good looking rig. Those wheels are great.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Good looking rig. Those wheels are great.
Thanks! I liked the interchangeable centers with different offset to clear the brass portal covers on my FCX24 and the bronze looked good with the red power wagon body.

When I decided to get the F150, I knew it had to be a blue one. Something about those colors together really works.

Now I'm gonna need another set for my fcx but oh well
Old 12-04-2023, 06:46 AM   #5
RCC Addict

That's a good looking Rig
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:17 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Nice looking truck. The old school pickups are so much more character than the modern day ones.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:17 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Dude, nice looking truck. Great tire and wheel choice. They fit perfectly. Nice idea on the hair ties to lower the ride. Looks like the perfect ride height!

I have to laugh when I see your name. When we were kids, we would ask people to name the bird that was in a tree chirping. They would say, I don't know and we would say it is a dickfer. They'd say "What is a dickfer?" We'd then say "to pee with"! Kids will do the dumbest shit for a laugh!

Anyways, cool looking rig. Looking forward to seeing more of it!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:19 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Dude, nice looking truck. Great tire and wheel choice. They fit perfectly. Nice idea on the hair ties to lower the ride. Looks like the perfect ride height!

I have to laugh when I see your name. When we were kids, we would ask people to name the bird that was in a tree chirping. They would say, I don't know and we would say it is a dickfer. They'd say "What is a dickfer?" We'd then say "to pee with"! Kids will do the dumbest shit for a laugh!

Anyways, cool looking rig. Looking forward to seeing more of it!

Haha thanks, I think I'm going to start a build thread and document the progress. On my fcx and scx I run the rubber bands only on the front to help keep it lower and more controlled, works great for how I have those built. So far with the Ford it seems to work pretty good with them front and rear. Still get full flex when articulating.

At the shop where I work, the running joke is "what's a dick for?"

"for pooping"

we're a bunch of middle aged teenagers
Old 12-05-2023, 06:10 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whats_a_dickfer View Post
I'm right with ya on that!

Looking forward to the new thread!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks! I liked the interchangeable centers with different offset to clear the brass portal covers on my FCX24 and the bronze looked good with the red power wagon body.

When I decided to get the F150, I knew it had to be a blue one. Something about those colors together really works.

Now I'm gonna need another set for my fcx but oh well
You're welcome! What brand are the wheels? I didn't realize the centers were interchangeable. That's cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
You can tell that was a child's answer because teenagers and adults would have a different answer!

Quote:
Isn't that the truth! Adults that love toys. And why grow up? That makes life less fun...
Old 12-05-2023, 10:22 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You're welcome! What brand are the wheels? I didn't realize the centers were interchangeable. That's cool.
These are the ones I'm running. https://www.trealhobby.com/products/...l-scx24-type-d

I was going to try running them with the narrower centers, but with these tires I'm pretty sure it'd rub the steering link.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
These are the ones I'm running. https://www.trealhobby.com/products/...l-scx24-type-d

I was going to try running them with the narrower centers, but with these tires I'm pretty sure it'd rub the steering link.
Thank you!
Old 01-12-2024, 06:40 AM   #13

I keep coming back to this thread. What size are these tires? Do you mind sharing a link? How's the body rub?
Old 01-18-2024, 02:54 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I keep coming back to this thread. What size are these tires? Do you mind sharing a link? How's the body rub?
So the tires are 64mm Injora rock terrain, which so far are my favorite all around 1.0 tire.

https://www.injora.com/products/injo...crawlers-t1011

I originally bought these wheels and tires to run on my fcx24, turned out to be a happy accident that they fit the high trail perfectly. There's zero rub, even with the suspension fully flexed out and steering at full lock. That's on the treal type d beadlocks with the included wider offset hubs, and stock trx4m hexes.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:28 PM   #15

Quote:
So the tires are 64mm Injora rock terrain, which so far are my favorite all around 1.0 tire.

https://www.injora.com/products/injo...crawlers-t1011

I originally bought these wheels and tires to run on my fcx24, turned out to be a happy accident that they fit the high trail perfectly. There's zero rub, even with the suspension fully flexed out and steering at full lock. That's on the treal type d beadlocks with the included wider offset hubs, and stock trx4m hexes.
Thank you! I am wondering how badly these will rub on the K10 body with stock height.
Old 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Man that sits nice, think you improved. the High Trail at least in the way it looks. My guess is that it also crawls great too.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 12:25 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Man that sits nice, think you improved. the High Trail at least in the way it looks. My guess is that it also crawls great too.
Thank you! The wheels, tires, and droop suspension improved the performance dramatically. Like I said above, I already had the wheel and tire set for another vehicle and they happened to be the perfect fit and look for the F-150. Totally lucked out in that regard.
Old 01-20-2024, 12:37 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thank you! I am wondering how badly these will rub on the K10 body with stock height.
I found this gif of a side view of the two trucks. Looks like maybe the F-150 has larger wheel openings than the K10. To me it looks like the most likely area to rub is going to be right behind the front bumper.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Vp7FeqV271GsAXhQA

These tires are a little smaller diameter, and the profile of it isn't as square and wide as the ones I'm running. I've used them on some other trucks and like them a lot. Better than the 64mm ones in loose dirt and snow, maybe not as good on smooth steep rocks. But still really good overall IMO

https://www.injora.com/products/injo...AaAsdlEALw_wcB
Old 01-20-2024, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:
I found this gif of a side view of the two trucks. Looks like maybe the F-150 has larger wheel openings than the K10. To me it looks like the most likely area to rub is going to be right behind the front bumper.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Vp7FeqV271GsAXhQA

These tires are a little smaller diameter, and the profile of it isn't as square and wide as the ones I'm running. I've used them on some other trucks and like them a lot. Better than the 64mm ones in loose dirt and snow, maybe not as good on smooth steep rocks. But still really good overall IMO

https://www.injora.com/products/injo...AaAsdlEALw_wcB

Thanks for the info!

First run with high trail F-150 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
150 gates scale run folsom lake sunday THE ROOKIE California 1 03-31-2015 04:21 PM
F-150 Trail Rig RustyCrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 10-31-2007 03:34 PM
F-150 Trail Truck Craig cw 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 07-16-2007 10:07 PM