Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: A Ascent-18 jumped into my cart. . . . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2024, 09:27 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default A Ascent-18 jumped into my cart. . . . . .

'm watching YouTube videos and all of a sudden a Redcat Ascent-18 pops up. Watched the video which peaked my interest to see if it was just this guy that was excited or were there more. I think of all the videos I watched except one were by what I call influencers, ones who are given products to review. So I mainly scrolled to the running section if there was one, how many unboxings can a person watch. I need to quit doing this because the next thing I know I had one in my shopping cart and was headed to the checkout. This happened at Redcat's web store so now I will have to wait for it to be shipped and delivered to my door to find out if the hipe was true or not. For $99.99 release price it was real hard to resist.

More to come when I get one in my hands.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2024, 09:30 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A Ascent-18 jumped into my cart. . . . . .

My buddy Harley Designs got one and absolutely thinks it’s awesome. Redcat shipping is fast and he has his cage file available if you’re wanna modify yours. Look forward to see what ya do with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 09:39 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have 1 in a cart too only I didn't click buy yet I was thinking puting a wpl yota hard body on it I'm having a hard time justifying it this month though next month maybe
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 09:42 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I got the evo pro and katana fx18 so was hard to do this one too, but I’m sure I’ll end with one to add to the collection lol

Rad to see all the growth in the micro community

Old 03-10-2024, 02:33 PM   #5

I ordered one yesterday from redcats website and a few hours later I recieved a shipping notice and it will be here Wednesday!!
And as someone mentioned above, I saw the YouTube vid where the guy modified the truck and 3d printed a cage, it looked awesome !
All the youtube vids I've watched are all great reviews, hard to pass up for $99.99!!
NXPRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 06:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXPRSS View Post
I ordered one yesterday from redcats website and a few hours later I recieved a shipping notice and it will be here Wednesday!!
And as someone mentioned above, I saw the YouTube vid where the guy modified the truck and 3d printed a cage, it looked awesome !
All the youtube vids I've watched are all great reviews, hard to pass up for $99.99!!

Harley design made that cage file available for you if you have access to a 3d printer

Old 03-10-2024, 06:42 PM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

This release caught me off-guard. From the reviews that I watched, it looks pretty good for the price.

So...I ordered one in blue from Amain yesterday. Received shipping notice today and should arrive sometime this week.

I did buy and download the Harley Designs roll cage. I think the cage as a good look to the body with the roof chopped off.

Nice to see that this comes with bearings and Redcat has also released upgrade parts at the same time as the Ascent release.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I was tempted when I saw it, and $99 is cheap, but I've already got a hopped up scx24 sitting on the shelf that I never use. I didn't feel like adding another mini to ignore. Lol
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:17 PM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I was tempted when I saw it, and $99 is cheap, but I've already got a hopped up scx24 sitting on the shelf that I never use. I didn't feel like adding another mini to ignore. Lol
The $99 bucks is what twisted my arm. I also have a couple obsolete SCX24's sitting on my shelf. With these new 1/18 scale rigs, I have no need to even look at the 1/24 rigs.

I also forgot to mention that I did use the AMain 15% coupon and got the Ascent for $80 bucks and change plus shipping. Hard to pass that up!!
Old 03-12-2024, 09:05 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Got shipping conformation, delivery scheduled for Thursday.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
The $99 bucks is what twisted my arm. I also have a couple obsolete SCX24's sitting on my shelf. With these new 1/18 scale rigs, I have no need to even look at the 1/24 rigs.

I also forgot to mention that I did use the AMain 15% coupon and got the Ascent for $80 bucks and change plus shipping. Hard to pass that up!!
Almost got me again. It wouldn't apply any discount to the ascent in my cart so I'm saved from a micro again. Lol. I suspect amain updated their stuff to block the coupons sometime after you ordered.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Got shipping conformation, delivery scheduled for Thursday.
Nice. Mine should arrive Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Almost got me again. It wouldn't apply any discount to the ascent in my cart so I'm saved from a micro again. Lol. I suspect amain updated their stuff to block the coupons sometime after you ordered.
I must've got lucky. @Outlore in this thread:New clearance discounts said the same thing.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:24 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I have 1 in a cart too only I didn't click buy yet I was thinking puting a wpl yota hard body on it I'm having a hard time justifying it this month though next month maybe
Do it!
surfishjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:14 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I ordered the blue one, it was here in two days. so far it seems pretty capable.
Doom! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:15 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

The Ascent 18 arrived today but with other obligations & then the weather I was only able to make a pass on the indoor course which doesn't challenge the 1/18th scale rigs at all. The build quality looks nice I didn't open it up and check the portals, diffs, trans for grease.

I noticed when picking it up with the body on that the sides of the body crushed in. The body just barely slides across the top of the sliders. The actual slider bolts to a plate that is bolted to the frame. I separated the 2 and got out the calibers and ruler. In a few minutes I had an idea and it was time to fire up Freecad and start drawing. A little later I had a prototype & threw it on the printer. Didn't noticed that the mounting holes were offset and I had then centered. Back the drawing board shortly I had another prototype. This one fit great so I printed a pair (there's a left & right) out of PETG.

Stock slider

Should have taken a picture of the piece before I installed it. After a little more looking I think it needs to be maybe 1mm higher.

Last edited by Gramps; 03-14-2024 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:51 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

The 1st run of the new RedCat Ascent 18 straight out of the box. It rained last night and was cool and windy so the rocks were cold and didn't have good grip. The stock tires and wheels are questionable.

My thoughts after the 1st run. I was impressed with how it handled out of the box, however it would benefit from some low weight and some more front weight bias. Many said theirs was 50/50 but mine was 51/49 which could be the difference in scales. Now that I have a baseline I think I'll move the rx to the front plate and maybe change the shock angle to get it a little lower.
Old 03-16-2024, 03:36 AM   #17
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The 1st run of the new RedCat Ascent 18 straight out of the box. It rained last night and was cool and windy so the rocks were cold and didn't have good grip. The stock tires and wheels are questionable.

My thoughts after the 1st run. I was impressed with how it handled out of the box, however it would benefit from some low weight and some more front weight bias. Many said theirs was 50/50 but mine was 51/49 which could be the difference in scales. Now that I have a baseline I think I'll move the rx to the front plate and maybe change the shock angle to get it a little lower.
Nice job on the sliders. I have seen and heard that the tires aren't the best. My Ascent18 arrives today and I'll be swapping out the wheels and tires immediately.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:00 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I've seen a few YT videos and these look like they are going to be fun little trucks. That red one looks great Gramps. Availability here in Canada isn't the greatest yet but it looks like they're gonna be about $150 cad when I can get my hands on one. It's nice that all the upgrade parts are available right away for this truck too.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 04:21 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice job on the sliders. I have seen and heard that the tires aren't the best. My Ascent18 arrives today and I'll be swapping out the wheels and tires immediately.
I watched a YT video of one that only had Injora brass wheels and tires on it and it was crawling amazingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
I've seen a few YT videos and these look like they are going to be fun little trucks. That red one looks great Gramps. Availability here in Canada isn't the greatest yet but it looks like they're gonna be about $150 cad when I can get my hands on one. It's nice that all the upgrade parts are available right away for this truck too.
Can't you order one directly from Redcat while they are still $99.99 not sure that the exchange rate on that would be.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:24 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Moved the esc from the back to the front. There is very little if any clearance between the hood and top of the esc. Don't think the esc will fit if I flop the mount. Maybe I will de-case it. Also checked the diffs for grease in my opinion there was none so I added some Lucas Red & Sticky.

A Ascent-18 jumped into my cart. . . . . . - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat Ascent Crawler cul8tr Redcat Crawlers 52 03-28-2024 04:00 AM
My Ascent LokisTyro Vaterra Ascender 25 11-09-2017 11:53 AM
My Tool Cart (Craftsman 31-In 2-Drawers Mechanic Tool Cart) justinart24 Tools, and Procedures 4 02-19-2017 02:08 PM
The Ascent EYEATEYOU Videos! 10 11-04-2011 06:25 PM
night crawler freezing up on ascent Bamaswamper Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 11-10-2010 01:10 PM