Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Shoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shoes

Since I'm not there to do any testing, and dont know if I'll have time before the first comp. What Tires do you guys suggest for your rocks there? I'm currently running claws. I have a set of m2 moabs lying around and I'm thinking about picking up a set of M3 mashers.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i ran m3 mashers for the summer/fall last year and placed 9th mostly due to the fact i couldn't turn. i never had a problem finding traction with them.
joehein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Alot of us are running the claws now more than any other tire. You should do fine with the claws.
fast5xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
tjb
Rock Crawler

I've had Fair luck with Lizards (originals), but they aren't that great on the wet rock
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default maddjack

I maybe old fashioned but I'm running moabs on my 2.2 rig. Maybe I'll go to what ever came with my axial.
MaddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddJack View Post
I maybe old fashioned but I'm running moabs on my 2.2 rig. Maybe I'll go to what ever came with my axial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
I've had Fair luck with Lizards (originals), but they aren't that great on the wet rock
I was running the stock lizards for most of the summer. I got the claws and they are performing better than the lizards even though most of the rocks here have been wet and frosty since I got them.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i did ok with moabs for the first yr ever with crawling
intimadationrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
tjb
Rock Crawler

Anyone looking at giving the 2.2 Bads a try?? I was on the fence on claws last year, but still might be with seeing some of the reveiws starting to come up on the bads..................
Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Anyone looking at giving the 2.2 Bads a try?? I was on the fence on claws last year, but still might be with seeing some of the reveiws starting to come up on the bads..................
I'm definitely getting a set. I'll give them a try on the crawler first but they are actuall for my sons' pede. It is all I will run on my MT's.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I just got a set they look good, still in the bag. Sounds like thy side hill really well.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 02-11-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I just fot a set they look good, still in the bag. Sounds like thy side hill really well.
A person could always change tires between runs depending on the course set up. Switch to the Bad Lands for courses with more off camber, and the Rock Claws for course's with more of the steep climbs
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

We might as well add wheel suggestions to this thread. What do you guys suggest that will work with the scorpion? I have the go ahead from the wife to get a set of aluminum wheels as my valentines gift.

Right now I'm thinking about these http://www.tcscrawlers.com/VF-Assass...t-p-16653.html

Last edited by dirtyal; 02-11-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: link
Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
A person could always change tires between runs depending on the course set up. Switch to the Bad Lands for courses with more off camber, and the Rock Claws for course's with more of the steep climbs
Shhhhhhh....Troy, don't talk that way!!

It's bad enough I have 5 spare diffs all set up different for the nitro latemodel, now to have these twisted
ideas of sextra wheel/tire combos for crawlin...Although I guess we really can't get away with puttin'em into the wall without getting tagged with a touch penalty here either!

seriously though,, I didn't know we could change stuff between runs like that???????
Old 02-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Shhhhhhh....Troy, don't talk that way!!

It's bad enough I have 5 spare diffs all set up different for the nitro latemodel, now to have these twisted
ideas of sextra wheel/tire combos for crawlin...Although I guess we really can't get away with puttin'em into the wall without getting tagged with a touch penalty here either!

seriously though,, I didn't know we could change stuff between runs like that???????

I don't have a copy of the rules in front of me, not 100% sure, but I know Bender changed his on his 2.2 in the Nats in '06'
You have to start and finish with the same truck, and wb. I'll have to have a look over the '08' rules, but I'm not aware of any rule changes that would make it illegal to change tires between runs.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
I don't have a copy of the rules in front of me, not 100% sure, but I know Bender changed his on his 2.2 in the Nats in '06'
You have to start and finish with the same truck, and wb. I'll have to have a look over the '08' rules, but I'm not aware of any rule changes that would make it illegal to change tires between runs.

3.10 - Drivers may make changes to wheelbase, track width, ride height, and tires between course runs, as long as the vehicle remains within the specs for it's class.

COOL!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

OK noob question time because my search skills suck.

I'm looking for a new set of aluminum wheels for my AX-10. I want max comp performance. What offset do I need? How narrow?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
tjb
Rock Crawler

I'd just keep the stock rockster wheels and weight them with lead strip stick on weights..................... if you're worried about stripped screws go with the oversized screw kit from TCS.....
Old 02-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I like my stock wheels and will mount a 2nd set of tires on them as a backup. These are a gift from my wife so thats why I'm spending the $$$. I also really like the looks of the aluminum.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I like MSD Top Guns myself.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I decided to give the assassins a try.