Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: 2008 Nationals plans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Debunking old stereotypes

Default 2008 Nationals plans

It's never too early to start planning for Moab.
It will be coming up on us before you know it.

Who's going?
Transportation?
Lodging?
1:1 trail ride?

Let the planning process begin.

I'm planning on attending
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post

I'm planning on attending

Troy, don't the Mormons have a restraining order out on you?:-P
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
Troy, don't the Mormons have a restraining order out on you?:-P

Yep, thats why I stay in the Southern part of the state, near the border
Old 07-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #4
MWRCA'er

Who is going?
Zach and I

Transportation?
Driving either Zach's Accord again or my Xterra for more space and trail capability. Like 2 or 3 hundred dollar difference in fuel MPG's. But, it would be nice to go places once we arrive. Accord was sort of limiting last time. Rocky sandy washed out access roads for the bike trails had us a little on edge at times.

Lodging?
Staying at the Slickrock cabins super cheap ($40 night) everything we ever wanted last time. The only time we are there is when were sleeping anyways.

Plans?
Zach and I are going as spectators and to drive the scalers on the best rock in the universe. Loading up our full suspension mountain bikes as well to hit some of the best trails in the nation. Also planning on rafting the Colorado river.

Timeframe?
Arriving Sept 4th leaving Sept 10th

Trail Ride?
We will need a back seat ride come 1:1 trail ride day. You have to be 26 years old to rent a jeep. I'm 22 Zach is 20 We will gladly pay our seat though. If any of you guys rent a Jeep please let us know. We really really want to wheel this time. Couldn't line anything up last time, reservations are a must.

What are you bringing? Every rig I own that runs.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I plan on going. I am planning on competing in just the 2.2 class and not the Supers. If it works like last year my spot will roll down to 3rd place next, but this is not for sure. Jason is waiting until they get the 1st & 2nd place invites back before they will know if they will roll down. I think it's possible in the Super class before the 2.2 class.

I already booked the time off at work. I have to double check, but I believe I have Wed (9/3) thru Thurs (9/11) scheduled off. I'd like to leave Wed so we can check out the area and do some traction testing before the competition.

I believe I have discounted rates through Enterprise from work. If we have enough people wanting to car pool, I could probably get us a large van (16 passenger or something).

I think we stayed at Rim Village in '06. They had 3 bedrooms, a couple couches, and plenty of floorspace. We had like 7 people staying there, and it was $45 per person for the weekend. Aside from the 3am tech inspection it was an awesome place to stay.

I'd also like to do the 1:1 trailride. I agree with Mnster, we should probably make a reservation before we get out there to make sure we have a Jeep.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

LMK you guys think it would cost total for the weekend. I would like to go but I might be getting a different job and I'm not sure what the work schedule would be like.

Not sure if I would want to ride with Kevin in a real jeep, I really dont like hanging upside down that much,lol
THAT1GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAT1GUY View Post
Not sure if I would want to ride with Kevin in a real jeep, I really dont like hanging upside down that much,lol
Joe I have to agree with you 100% I'm always concerned about his Monster drink consumption and the personality change that occurs on the second can. Then after that the Dinky Link thing starts happening.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
LMK you guys think it would cost total for the weekend. I would like to go but I might be getting a different job and I'm not sure what the work schedule would be like.

Cost can vary greatly, depending on arrangements.
When Kevin and I went out in '06' gas was $2.80-$3.25 a gallon, and it was 2 of us sharing expenses. We stayed at Rim Village (where most of the RCC gang stays) with some other RCCer's. Lodging was comfortable, and cheap, I think like kevin said, our share was about $45 each, that was for 2 nights. Gas was about $250 each round trip. I think I brought $1000 with, and came home with almost $600.

Now if enough of us were to go? and we did a road trip like the Colorado gang, 15 passanger van, we could save some $ on fuel VS taking several vehicles, same goes for condo, and Jeep rental. A 15 passanger van would fit 6 plus gear fairly comfortably, with the possibilty of maybe 7-8/w gear.

Since Kevin works for a company that may be able to get discount on van rental, and fuel could be at or above $4.00 a gallon this year. A van might be the least expensive option.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 07-05-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
tjb
Rock Crawler

I'm still pondering the options. Like I told kev, I might go just to be a pit bitch...
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
MWRCA'er

Quote:

Zach and I really traveled cheap. We were under $900 total and that was with attractions, MTB rentals, gas, food and sign up. Being that the cabin was so cheap $15 a person per night at that time we also stayed longer then anyone else. It's totally worth it, it's a trip of a life time.

I have taken off 1st through the 13th. So if you guys head down early we might do the same. We were thinking about arriving Wednesday. Just we don't want to ride our bikes and break our leg or something before the trip is over. But, if you guys are there then we have something to do.

Last edited by Mnster; 07-05-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:47 AM   #11
MWRCA'er

Reserved my hotel in Ogallala, NE headed down Tuesday arriving in Moab Wednesday night the 3rd.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
Donkey Punch Champion!

I am broke, can't afford the gas.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
I am broke, can't afford the gas.
Pfff...some baller you are.

I did some checking on rentals. Talked to the Enterprise reps we have in our office, she found out Enterprise is completely booked for minivans/suvs/large vans that week. Nothing in the entire metro area. They are reserving all those vehicles for the republican convention. Fawking politics.

We also have a rep from Hertz in house. They don't carry large (14-16 passenger) vans. For a minivan, it would be $273.75 for a week. A 7 passenger suv (eg. Trailblazer) would be $360.49 a week. They classify a week as 5-7 days. If we pick it up on Wed at noon, it's due back by noon on the following Wed. Otherwise it's an additional days charge. Both are unlimited mileage, and no restrictions to travel area: out of state is fine. These prices, however, did not include insurance. I think she said about another $20-30 per day. She told me to check with my car insurance and credit cards-some include rental insurance. I have not checked any further yet.

Just as a price comparison, I checked rentalcars.com. My deal with Hertz was the best priced. Click

to Moab and back it's about 2500 miles round trip. Minivans get about 25mpg on hwys (Caravans 26mpg, Uplander 25mpg, Freestar 24mpg). That's 100 gallons, at let's say $4.00/gallon-that's $400 round trip.

The Trailblazer gets about 20mpg, Explorer gets 19mpg. Lets say 20mpg: that's $500 in fuel.

To rent a minivan would be about $675 in fuel and rental charges and an SUV would be about $860 (not including insurance/taxes/etc.). If we have 4 people, a minivan sould be enough space, and that would be about $169/person. 5-6 people and we'd have to go with an SUV: 5 people=$172ea, 6 people=$143.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklepimp View Post

I did some checking on rentals. Talked to the Enterprise reps we have in our office, she found out Enterprise is completely booked for minivans/suvs/large vans that week. Nothing in the entire metro area. They are reserving all those vehicles for the republican convention. Fawking politics.

We also have a rep from Hertz in house. They don't carry large (14-16 passenger) vans. For a minivan, it would be $273.75 for a week. A 7 passenger suv (eg. Trailblazer) would be $360.49 a week. They classify a week as 5-7 days. If we pick it up on Wed at noon, it's due back by noon on the following Wed. Otherwise it's an additional days charge. Both are unlimited mileage, and no restrictions to travel area: out of state is fine. These prices, however, did not include insurance. I think she said about another $20-30 per day. She told me to check with my car insurance and credit cards-some include rental insurance. I have not checked any further yet.

Just as a price comparison, I checked rentalcars.com. My deal with Hertz was the best priced. Click

to Moab and back it's about 2500 miles round trip. Minivans get about 25mpg on hwys (Caravans 26mpg, Uplander 25mpg, Freestar 24mpg). That's 100 gallons, at let's say $4.00/gallon-that's $400 round trip.

The Trailblazer gets about 20mpg, Explorer gets 19mpg. Lets say 20mpg: that's $500 in fuel.

To rent a minivan would be about $675 in fuel and rental charges and an SUV would be about $860 (not including insurance/taxes/etc.). If we have 4 people, a minivan sould be enough space, and that would be about $169/person. 5-6 people and we'd have to go with an SUV: 5 people=$172ea, 6 people=$143.

Personally I think you should be figuring Gas at $5/gal. It may sound stupid, but I highly doubt it will be at anything below that by Sept, and if it is it will allow a bit of a buffer
Old 07-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklepimp View Post

Either choice wouldn't be bad, just use Troy's trailer for cargo.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
Web Wheeling

Troy sold the trailer not long after their first trip to Moab I believe.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Personally I think you should be figuring Gas at $5/gal. It may sound stupid, but I highly doubt it will be at anything below that by Sept, and if it is it will allow a bit of a buffer
OK, minivan would be $500 in fuel/$775 combined/$194 per person(4 people)...SUV would be $625 in fuel/985 combined/per 5 people+$197, and per 6 people=$165.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
Either choice wouldn't be bad, just use Troy's trailer for cargo.
Troy sold his trailer a while ago. Man that would come in handy right about now.

edit: What Mike said.

Last edited by Nicklepimp; 07-08-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I guess I have to decide if I want to go. If I decide soon, I have a Tahoe that can seat 7 (more like 5 comfortably, the back seats don't have much room). That way no rental fee or insurance, just the gas. We could rent a super small trailer if we wanted. I will have to look into it and let you guys know. I would love to go, but we will have to see. When do you guys need to know by?

By the way, the Tahoe would probably get 14-15 mpg with 6 people and loaded. I average 17 right now with no AC on and put on about 4,000 a month, so I get a pretty decent read of the gas mileage every few days.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Well guys, I’d like to give you some advice from our trip last year.

Bring a BIG box of candy/junk food, it helps.
There’s no booze in Utah…plan accordingly.
Chairs and shade (if you burn, beware).
Stay at Rim Village, period.

Plan so you arrive in Moab Thursday morning. Unpack, shower, and go out and play on the rocks.

Friday, spend the whole day at the comp site, practice, practice, practice. Even if you aren’t competing, WTF, you are in Moab! Plan on being up late, that’s when the stunt spray comes out…

Then you have two days of competition. There was plenty of side action going on (scalers, 5b’s), so leave the extra underwear/socks at home and bring a second scaler (FYI, if you do, don’t stand by me…).

Also, if you aren’t competing, and you’re smarter than t-man, you can be a judge/scorekeeper. Plus, you get tickets to the raffle!

Plan on the 1:1 trail ride on Monday, we didn’t, and regret it…

Pack, get a night sleep, and leave 5-6am Tuesday.

Repeat next year.
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #20
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
Also, if you aren’t competing, and you’re smarter than t-man, you can be a judge/scorekeeper. Plus, there will already be a pit Monkey
And you will also get tickets to the raffle!
Very valid point