Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Duluth Scaler and Comp Series.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

Default Duluth Scaler and Comp Series.

Why would we have another series? Is there not enough going on?!?!?!?

I just want more practice and I can't make it down to Taylors every weekend and there is some locals that also can't drive to the cities every weekend.

Plus practice makes perfect right?

So on April 10th 2010 The first event will be.....

Enger Tower Scaler Rally & 2.2 comp.

Here is some pics of the area. http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/v...0March%202010/

First to the bottom of the steps wins. Must stay in bounds.
Winch can be used.
Can not touch your rig to flip it over.
May use the buddy system.
Must carry tools or parts on the scaler to do repairs.

The scaler event is a trail ride from Skyline to the Tower.
Comp will be at the base of the tower.

Start 9-10 sign up and scaler tech and Show and Shine. Meet in the parking lot at Enger.
10am Start the Rally on Skyline and run up the hill.

2.2 Comp to start after The rally for those who want to do comps. (start around Noon)

This series is just for fun and get a following in Duluth.
So get your rig ready for some fun and meeting other crawlers from the area.

Scaler Points system/ rules for the series. Scaler means smaller version of a real trail rig or truck.

1.9 wheels any tire
Scaler frame. Home made or store bought. Must be 14" or longer.
NO MOA
NO dig
2 cell
any motor
winch can be used or a tow strap from your buddy.
Must have a realistic body as see in real life.

Ok that qualifies a scaler, now the bonus points for a really good build.
Two sets of point will be used for a scaler event...Scaler points and the event points.

Scaler points:
Bonus points will be awarded in the following areas because the upgrades add realism and most are a negative on how the rig handles. A super scale rig will not perform as good as a scaler with the minimum to qualify.

Qualify= 15 points
Winch...real looking not servo, must work. Servo can be used for winch but no bouns points for it. 1 point
Bumpers bolt on. 1 point for each.
1.55 wheels 2 points
Detailed hard body(clod buster, f350, Toyota) 2 points
Steering servo mounted on frame 2 points
Sliders 1 point
Leaf springs 2 points
Real spare tire 1 point
Interior detailed 2 points
Driver- passangers? 1 point each
Great paint job 1 point
Detailed exterior(mirrors, wipers, canvas top) 2 points
Working Lights (must be on during the event) 2 points

At the event the points will be tallied so a grand total for scaler points could be 35. Lowest 15.

Unlike comps the event points will be awarded 30 for first and -2 points there after. Second gets 28, third 26....and so on.

Add Scaler points and event points and you get an overall winner.

Kind of weird, I know, but this way someone who likes to build cool scalers and is not so worried about competing can still have a good chance of being the overall winner.

Please let me if you have any questions.

Scaler and 2.2 comps are seperate and you can run one or both or neither and come and watch.

One event a month.

Schedule...May change so please keep looking in case we have a date conflicts.

May 8th .....Brighton Beach Tuff Truck Challenge and 2.2 Comp (east Duluth just off Scenic hwy 61 past the Lester River)

pics of the area...http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/v...ch%20Wheeling/

June 12th....Spirit Moutain Hill Climbs and 2.2 Comp
Scaler 1.9 and mod Hill Climbing classes...anything goes in the Mod class....except Nitro...must be battery.
http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/v...0Hill%20Climb/ Here is a view of the area.

July 10th.....Lake Walk Trail Ride and 2.2 Comp ( just past Fitgers on the lake)

Sept 11th...Duluth Shafty Fest! One of the Big Events for the year. Comps 1.9 crawlers, scalers, and 2.2 comp rigs. Amature and Pros. Thompson Damn in Carlton on HWY 210

Oct. 9th....Top Truck Challenge...as seen on tv, magazines and the web. We will duplicate 5 events from this classic truck challenge. Hill climb, frame twister, obsticle course, Mini Rubicon, and of course the Tank Trap!!!!! Not sure on the location yet.....

Last edited by kwapi; 04-04-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Added some dates and a link
kwapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Put me in coach. I'm ready for 2.2 comp.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Web Wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwapi View Post
Bumpers bolt on. 1 point for each.
Weld on? Plan on building something new this year, plans are still in the works. First I gotta finish the 1:1 scaler
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #4

Default 1:1 is still in the works also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Weld on? Plan on building something new this year, plans are still in the works. First I gotta finish the 1:1 scaler

I am putting in a second motor in my Toyota this week. I put in a motor the dude i bought the trucks from said was good...not. So i am taking the 84 4runner motor out. So if you still want the grill or anything else I can bring them down to the swap meet. I went crawling with a couple of Guys who finished the King of the Hammers....yeah amazing trucks they hand built. You got see them wheel. When is crawl for a cure> i am going to gilbert for the meetings in April. i hope the Yota is going by then.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
Web Wheeling

Bummer on the motor.. I got my hands on a black grill, wouldn't mind another set of corner marker lights though

Built a front bumper a couple weeks ago. And last weekend I finally installed the front E-locker and 30 spline longfields. Working on building a new front spring pack now, rear springs mixed with 3" all pro front springs. Trying to keep it low, plus I need longer springs to correct my shackle angle as my front spring hanger is forward of stock. I'll have to redrill my spring perches to keep from moving the axle to far forward, it is already 1" forward of stock. Of course once I install the new front springs, I will need a long slip front drive shaft. But before I do any drive shaft work, I need to install the dual case.

I probably will not have it ready to wheel till May, might go up to Gilbert Memorial weekend? Crawl for the cure is July 15th-18th this year

And Andy took 47th or 51st place in KOH I believe, but did not finish the race. They had some break downs that caused to much down time for them, still very impressive!
Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Bummer on the motor.. I got my hands on a black grill, wouldn't mind another set of corner marker lights though

Built a front bumper a couple weeks ago. And last weekend I finally installed the front E-locker and 30 spline longfields. Working on building a new front spring pack now, rear springs mixed with 3" all pro front springs. Trying to keep it low, plus I need longer springs to correct my shackle angle as my front spring hanger is forward of stock. I'll have to redrill my spring perches to keep from moving the axle to far forward, it is already 1" forward of stock. Of course once I install the new front springs, I will need a long slip front drive shaft. But before I do any drive shaft work, I need to install the dual case.

I probably will not have it ready to wheel till May, might go up to Gilbert Memorial weekend? Crawl for the cure is July 15th-18th this year

And Andy took 47th or 51st place in KOH I believe, but did not finish the race. They had some break downs that caused to much down time for them, still very impressive!
Nice guys too. I am going to do the doubler also. Which are you going to buy? My Yota is way too tall but it has a lift and I don't have anything else to put on there so I am stuck with that for a while. Do you have a winch yet? The marker lights are all busted out so out of luck there too. My Yota will be a trail rig but I do have a couple of front ends so I am toying with making 4wheel steer.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Web Wheeling

Crawlbox is already built, though I need to order a new needle bearing set for the main gear before I install it. Will order a new clutch kit, fly wheel, and some other parts at the same time.

Ohh and I installed Marlin 4.7 gears in the rear case already

Old 03-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

im in for a 2.2 comp
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Gonna try and make it up for some fun. Can't wait to get out to some of these areas, they look amazing compared to what I'm used to...
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #10

Default I am going to put on some new pics soon!!!!

Spirit Mt is awesome and we have only hit 1% on the area so far.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

count me in for Sat, for the scaler run.
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #12

Default Great i can't wait to see them Scout bodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper68 View Post
count me in for Sat, for the scaler run.

Show and shine at 9am-10am then hitting the hills!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

scout bodies won't be done for awhile, I am building the whole thing from the ground up, got the frame ready to be cut and a few parts ordered.

I'm gonna cheat on sat, got new roc lox, new 45t moter, and a bunch of different pinions on the way. won't be the same truck you saw 2 weeks ago

heres a teaser of the scout build!

PS anyone going out for practice this week, I'm free every night but tomorrow and fri. 2183400449
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #14

Default Thursday sounds good....Stalker Steve would like to go to!!

Quote:
scout bodies won't be done for awhile, I am building the whole thing from the ground up, got the frame ready to be cut and a few parts ordered.

I'm gonna cheat on sat, got new roc lox, new 45t moter, and a bunch of different pinions on the way. won't be the same truck you saw 2 weeks ago

heres a teaser of the scout build!

PS anyone going out for practice this week, I'm free every night but tomorrow and fri. 2183400449

Where should we go? Spirit was fun as hell last time. There is more than what we did last time.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwapi View Post
Where should we go? Spirit was fun as hell last time. There is more than what we did last time.

just give me a call tomorrow sometime, i will be in Two Harbors working all day but should be done by 4 or so.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #16

Default I might go out. Just ordered rc4wd tires and rims.

Quote:
just give me a call tomorrow sometime, i will be in Two Harbors working all day but should be done by 4 or so.

I don't have your number but mine is 360-0384
Old 04-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Anyone have a set of 1.9 wheels and tires I could use tomorrow? Had some on order but they did not show. I will be there with my 2.2's otherwise.

Thanks
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Anybody getting out today or tomorrow?

*Nevermind. Ran at enger for almost an hour before the rain started.

Last edited by djjiz; 04-14-2010 at 12:35 PM.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scaler 2.2 1.9 comp