Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Thinkin of moving to MN, How is the economy by the cities??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Thinkin of moving to MN, How is the economy by the cities??

Hey guys, I'm currently living in Indiana and have made my mind that the wife and I would like to move back up to MN. I grew up in Superior/Duluth area and I miss it. My Dad still lives up there and my mom and sister live in Eagan and Apple Valley.

How is the economy in the Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, and Rosemount areas?? Jobs hard to come by?? My wife is currently in nursing school right now and as soon as she is done, we are going to start trying to find a job up there for her.

Thanks
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
RCC Addict

There was a nursing strike recently, but I believe its over now. Baller's girl is a nurse, so he would know better.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm kind of a jack of all trades. Anything that has to do with fixing things, I'm pretty much up for that. I was an Auto mechanic for years, HVAC stuff, Electrical, and Plumbing. My wife shouldn't have much of a problem finding a job anywhere with her degree and experience. She currently is a Nurses assistant at a local hospital so she has an upper hand on most new nursing students.
I'm curious on the amount of "Tech" type jobs out there. I am considering going back to school for electrical engineering or even teaching. That way I can have at least one degree under my belt.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I live in Minneapolis, but can't tell you too much about the job market here. I know in the Duluth area, the job prospects are pretty poor.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
I live in Minneapolis, but can't tell you too much about the job market here. I know in the Duluth area, the job prospects are pretty poor.
I grew up in Superior and the economy has never been that good up there unless you were a union worker.

I'm hoping that by the time my wife gets out of school, we will be ready for a move. Probably end up somewhere around St Paul or something. Indiana is getting old.
Been here for about 12 years now and ready for a change. Growing up in the Twin Ports, I'm just not used to this small town BS that I'm dealing with now. Indiana is a nice state to live in, but the summers are hotter than hell and humid. And I miss REAL winters. It still snows here but not like up north.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Duluth is going through nurse layoffs as well. Construction looks good for the next three years.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The Twin City economy is very slow but the unemployment level is below other mid-west cities. Nurses seem to always be in demand and small project construction is doing better than large projects. The overall construction industry here has picked up lately but will be the last industry to return to full health.

Good news we have a large healthy club (MNRCRC) and a great place to comp at Taylors Falls. The Twin Cities is a great place to live and work with plenty of everything to keep you happy and well supplied.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Well i live in wisconsin my daughter is going through nursing school she has a year left she has a job at the old folks home and just got hired at a local hospital and she makes some good money the economy around ere is slow but there are plenty of jobs out there to be had i live in the fox cities appleton area 30miles south of Green Bay nd there is some good crawl spots and a few indoor spots just thought i would chime in and let you know.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
Well i live in wisconsin my daughter is going through nursing school she has a year left she has a job at the old folks home and just got hired at a local hospital and she makes some good money the economy around ere is slow but there are plenty of jobs out there to be had i live in the fox cities appleton area 30miles south of Green Bay nd there is some good crawl spots and a few indoor spots just thought i would chime in and let you know.
I've spent quite a bit of time in the Appleton area, Cool place for sure, but most of my family now live near the Twin Cities. It would be nice to move there to be around them and also to help my Dad out. He's getting older now and cannot do the same stuff he used to. Plus that way I don't need to get an out of state fishing license for opening Walleye season!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Hey jc I did some checking and the job opportunities for Nurses in the metro is difficult right now it seems clinics and hospitals are running Nursing staffs short handed to maximize profits. In fact there was a strike last summer nurses where not happy with the workload expectations.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Hey jc I did some checking and the job opportunities for Nurses in the metro is difficult right now it seems clinics and hospitals are running Nursing staffs short handed to maximize profits. In fact there was a strike last summer nurses where not happy with the workload expectations.
Wow! Thanks for checking on that for me!. My sister is in Eagan and works in the healthcare field and even she says pickins are slim right now. The healthcare field is booming here but everything else is trash.

Also, any good hunting spots over there?? I still hunt up in Superior but I would also like to find some land around there to hunt on. Do a lot of people lease land out there?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
Debunking old stereotypes

There's plenty of hunting leases avaible. Plus plenty of state hunting land.
There's never been a shortage on hunting space here in Mn. As others have said, the job market is slow, but starting to slowly pick up. If you're a "jack of all trades" you should be able to find maintenance work for a decent wage.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Wow! Thanks for checking on that for me!. My sister is in Eagan and works in the healthcare field and even she says pickins are slim right now. The healthcare field is booming here but everything else is trash.

Also, any good hunting spots over there?? I still hunt up in Superior but I would also like to find some land around there to hunt on. Do a lot of people lease land out there?
Hey no problem man I know how it is I've worked the US around plenty myself.