Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: ~~ Any Interest in a 2.2 "Sport" Class ~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ~~ Any Interest in a 2.2 "Sport" Class ~~

Lots of clubs are doing Sporty classes with great success. Not the Sportsman Class for just beginners but a regular 2.2 shaft class no dig that everyone welcome to compete in.

Post up your thoughts.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
RCC Addict

2.2 is the new super.. Too much going on and hard to keep up with the joneses..

1.9's are cool but I don't want another losi.

I hope to find time next year to run and a low(er) cost/ low maintenance rig can't hurt.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I agree with jizz, but I wouldn't be building another rig. I would just throw out my dig and run it that way. Just my $0.02!
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I'd consider runnin berg if I could.

Maybe have moa's run one tooth taller on the rear axle?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Some of the other clubs are getting lots of support for their Sporty Class. Chad MOAs just don't seem fair to me but what do I know. I'm not a fan of the 1.9 class and not at all interested in owning or investing in one, most people already have a 2.2 no investment big required.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'd hate to sell a moa just to compete and I'm at a point that a new radio and/or speed control setup is needed.

I'd be willing to take a +1 for every time my rear axle stalled.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I wouldn't mind a sport class. My biggest concern is what I've seen many times. When you have to many classes the numbers thin out in all classes. I would agree that a moa should not be allowed for its lack of sprung weight. I personally would build another AX-10 if I was to participate. I still regret ever selling my AX-10/Edge. I really wish there was more interest in the 1.9 class since it does fit what is proposed. Just my $.02
wild bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Run a battery in the chassis and make it a minimum mah size..

I'll do anything to comply before considering another losi.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

sure and I just dumped my Night Crawler and picked up a MOA. I do have to say. Those that want to compete in the 2.2 can find really good deals. I will have a fully build Bully with Vanquish rims and all electronics and such for under $350. I don't have it tuned in yet but to get into MOA it is not that expensive all the time. You can do it for cheaper then what alot of guys dump into there Bergs and XR10's.
Reddogsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I would run a digless shafty class, as long as I could still run my XR-10. That would of course mean another course and more judges.

I like the Idea, and would be there to help.

Anyone else?
TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddogsf View Post
sure and I just dumped my Night Crawler and picked up a MOA. I do have to say. Those that want to compete in the 2.2 can find really good deals. I will have a fully build Bully with Vanquish rims and all electronics and such for under $350. I don't have it tuned in yet but to get into MOA it is not that expensive all the time. You can do it for cheaper then what alot of guys dump into there Bergs and XR10's.
I agree with that my dad and i picked up a ax10, xr10, dx3r, lot of tires and parst for $500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEGunn View Post
I would run a digless shafty class, as long as I could still run my XR-10. That would of course mean another course and more judges.

Anyone else?
I also want to beable to run my new to me xr10, im willing to help with judgeing.
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEGunn View Post

Anyone else?
I don't like the idea of MOAs in the shaft class myself and I don't think a seperate course is necessary. Run the 2.2 Pro class first then Sporties no extra work. As long as it's the same for every body no need to complicate it run the same course.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I don't blame you norm. MOA's would dominate every class then.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I wish I would have seen this thread before I posted my questions in the chit chat thread. Anyways...

As Stormin has alluded to, there has been some interest in this class nationally. We are discussing turning the sportsman class into a 'sporty/shafty' class in the rules committee, so my interest in your feedback is for the club, as well nationally too.

The way things are shaping up, it would definetely be shafty only/1 motor only, and it would allow everyone to run both the shafty and the current 2.2 class. IMO we need to allow everyone to run both for this class to survive. I believe its the main reason sportsman class didn't last long locally.

We have discussed rewording the pre-run rule to allow running a shared course for 2 classes, but still prevent people from pre-running before it's their official run. Most likely, it would be prefered to run the 'pro' class first, then sporty. Of course there is also the possibility of sharing only some of the gates and mixing in some different gates for the different capabilities. That would be left to the event directors/course builders to decide.

We've also discussed wether dig should be allowed, as well as bodiless rigs-hence my questioning in the c/c thread. There seems to be 2 schools of thought-either make it a 2.2 pro class (which would basically keep everything the same, just seperate the shaftys from the moa's), or a 2.2 sporty class which would be probably no dig and no bodiless as to make it a progression from class to class. With the sporty class it would still allow the option of shaftys with dig to run with the moa's.

Keep the feedback coming guys.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I'm not a fan of the 1.9 class and not at all interested in owning or investing in one
Call me curious... Why?
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I have two 1.9's to build over winter. They are in parts now. My goal is to have a MOA for next year..XR10 but an AX10 or similar would be fun as well. I'm a hoarder so the more the merrier.
Snipervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipervision View Post
I'm a hoarder so the more the merrier.
Yep, I hear you. Xr..check, berg..check, shafty..check, mrc..check

too many toys

this shafty sportsman bs is getting old. my .02 is if there is to be a shafty only no dig class.

A. same courses= less time for set up

B. must be able to compete with 2.2 pro and 2.2 sport (not one or the other, running pro class first makes sense)

C. drivers should not be allowed to use the same shaft rig for both classes sport and pro (regardless of dig being disabled)

Now an argument for statement B if someone only runs sport class and someone else runs both pro and sport. IMO the people running pro are going to dominate the sport class assuming the rule pro must be driven first comes into play.

I have both so I'd be in either way.

Good luck with your quest Norm. Maybe this time it will see the light
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklepimp View Post
Call me curious... Why?
Well, since you ask Mr USRCCA rules committee, why would I go out and spend $1000 on a smaller less capable version of a truck I already own several of?

Sporty Class,

No dig makes it more affordable.

All chassis' available on the market body or not..

Have Class in the Nationals

Open tires.

Give the 2.2 shafty a chance it will preform.

Don't fawk it up with to much trick thinking.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 10-20-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Well, since you ask Mr USRCCA rules committee, why would I go out and spend $1000 on a smaller less capable version of a truck I already own several of?
I have built a very capable rig for well under $500. That includes electronics since I bought a micro rec and another FXR. The pro roller eliminates alot of that original expense. Just saying...

A side note.... how about pro and sport share the same coarse but run opposite directions. Possibly just a gate or two change kind of like finals. That wouldn't really be pre running for those running both. Thoughts?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I would also think we should increase point out. Sport could possibly be a great spot for new drivers. There would be no reason to run a separate shafty class. I would like to see new people actually be able to finish the coarse instead of done at gate 4 for example. Thoughts?