Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: New crawler help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

Default New crawler help

Hey guys and gals - sorry I haven't been around for a while - I have been really busy with school and robotics lately - it almost seems I always am unfortunately

But anywho I recently sold my SCX-10 and have been saving up for a custom build that may actually be able to compete with your guys' rigs lol - im up in the 1200 dollar range but before I dump the money on it I just wanted to check it with you peeps to see what your opinion is

The whole rig will start as a kit which is here: Maxi-PRO Chassis Hilux-Truggy-Ballistic | RCmodelex - specialized for RC rock crawling, trial and expeditions

On top of that I will add the electronics(Outcry ESC and Turbo BEC, HS-7995 servo, spektrum receiver, some LED's, and probably around a 35T RC4wd motor), Mojave Hard Body, winch and controller, 2.2 wheels and Rok Lox tires(haven't decided on the wheel yet), and some scale accessories

To me this build seems pretty solid but I have not been crawling for very long at all - As of such I don't know if this is too expensive or too cheap for a build - which is why i'm asking you experts - I don't want to spend more money than I have to - I just want one kickass setup

So let me know what you think
FrankyMonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #2

Default Re: New crawler help

Hey Franky, I'm kind of new to rc in general and crawling in particular, but my first reaction is...too much money going out on custom stuff for a newbie.

My suggestion would be: buy a kit Wraith or SCX10, put a little money into a Tx/Rx, a servo, aluminum beadlocks and some good tires. Put steel gears in the tranny, gear it down and put in a 35t or higher motor. With some driving experience, that would be a very competitive rig. As you get more exposure to the sport, to what options are out there, and to what niche actually motivates you, you can get more specific with your builds.

Oh, and there are a lot of people with parts to trade/sell, so there's really no point in buying all new stuff.

Just my two cents...
Orange58Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #3

That's a very good point - the SCX10 I just sold was mostly custom with almost all of the parts you listed - but I didn't like the overall look of it so I went to wanting a TF2 - then I heard from a few crawlers on RC Sparks that the TF2 doesn't perform as well as an SCX10 - which is then why I picked that chassis as its a sort of combo between the two - the price started low but as with most custom setups it got a little high in the end

I am fairly new to crawling as I said but i've been in RC since I was 4 and have built my fair share of custom drones, helis, boats, and land rigs - just never a crawler - so I do get your point but I am looking to build or buy a rig that will last me - not one that I will eventually have to upgrade

I just want to make sure I don't overspend on whatever rig that ends up being
Old 05-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Pick up a RTR Scx10 and run it!

Our club rental is a box stock unit and it does great and is inexpensive (I think they're like $299 now). Change things as they break and have fun!
semnmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
RCC Addict

DO NOT buy rc3wd axles if you plan on competing. They are awesome shelf queen parts but thats it.

Modded scx10 or built wraith axles are the most popular for good reasons. If you're willing to wait for a one off chassis I suggest looking at what EmeryworX has to offer. He can build anything you put in front of him.

If you can afford a star you'll get a really sweet rig for the money you're willing to spend from the for sale section.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I would also run ae-5 before a outcry. I've owned both and the ae-5 just worked all around better.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
DO NOT buy rc3wd axles if you plan on competing. They are awesome shelf queen parts but thats it.

Modded scx10 or built wraith axles are the most popular for good reasons. If you're willing to wait for a one off chassis I suggest looking at what EmeryworX has to offer. He can build anything you put in front of him.

If you can afford a star you'll get a really sweet rig for the money you're willing to spend from the for sale section.
Hey Franky, I gotta agree with Chad. The RC4wd stuff aint worth it. I'll send you a PM. He's also right that you could pick something up from the classifieds for less than you're looking to spend that is exponentially better.

Dana
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Here's one example that's for sale right now. Imagine how nice they could be in your price range.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
"GOD SPEED"

A stock deadbolt with just a few mods is a great staring truck and crawls extremely well. That would be my recommendation.
nerby149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
Web Wheeling

A box stock scx10 will walk circles around my modded scx10.... Don't overthink it, keep it simple.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #11

Okay after serious consideration and lots of help from Dana I have decided to have Emeryworx build me a wraith chassis - and then do a custom wraith build from there. To satisfy my scale obsession ill probably do a seperate build later based off of a GSM 4TEN leaf spring chassis.

Now I still have questions about building the wraith axles:

What mods off of supershafty should I get: WRAITH Axle Mod's - Super Shafty

And what gearing should I have for front and rear - ive heard its good to have a lower gear range in the rear to reduce torque twist and a higher in the front to help crawl up stuff

Is it worth it to have rear steering? And how about dig?

THANKS for all the help!

New crawler help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 50 11-30-2019 10:02 AM
Losi Micro Crawler Crawler-X SMC Plus Chassis Plus A Ton Of Stuff See Video stomper4x4.com Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 05-14-2012 01:31 AM
TCS - Novak Goat Crawler Systems in stock @ TCScrawlers.com - The Crawler Store kevinlongisland Vendors Market 0 09-14-2007 09:34 AM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 09:40 AM