Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Tman is coming back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tman is coming back

After last summer's fatal breakdown for McGuyver I got out of crawling for a while.

Now, I am going to jump back in. A lot of awesome stuff has happened since you all last saw me. I got my own place in plymouth, got married, and I have been working an internship that I just found out will become my career when I graduate next month. All in all it's been awesome, and I can afford to get a new crawler!

Being new to the area I was wondering if anyone knows of a good hobby shop around plymouth as I would like to buy my rig and supplies local if there is a good place with decent prices. I have heard good things about RC car kings in burnsville but I don't like driving down there.

I have decided to get the new RR-10 bomber from axial. No long debates on the forums anymore about what to get for a crawler like I have done for years LOL!

Also, does BigBaller still crawl?

Edit: I would like to note that my old dead crawler may have helped me get my new career. It's a desk ornament now and my coworkers and boss were impressed (it helps that I work in engineering as a drafter) I cobbled it together and fabricated several things (This was an old TLT axle rig about 8 years old, Gopher tube frame, 13 year old xxx-t jury rigged tranny, and a battery sling made of a couple old boot laces.)

Last edited by theTman; 04-14-2016 at 12:22 PM.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tman is coming back

Control Freaks RC is now in Plymouth, between 55 and 6 just on the west side of 494. He usually doesn't have a lot of crawlers in stock, but can order just about anything for you. he may have an Ascender in stock, haven't been over there in a while.

-Derek
SuperDrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Donkey Punch Champion!

Welcome back T. I still drive RC's daily, just at home with my kid. I made it to last weeks test and tune, there's a ton of new faces to me as well. That was my first time seeing the gang in over 2 years!

I'll be a random sighting at comps for a bit yet, as my son is not yet 3yrs old.
He's growing fast.

Oh, as for hobby shops. RC Car kings has good knowledge, Both Hub Hobby locations (Richfield and little Canada) have sweet part assortments from all the good vendors.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Control freaks rc in plymouth was awesome. Great guys over there. I got a bomber and some cvd's for it. I went the 3s route so I have a 10t pinion on the way. I also swapped the tx/rx for my modded flysky radio. I got the upgrades installed as well as a metal servo arm I had laying around. I now have maximum steering angles short of grinding my tires on my links. I also reversed the leads on my motor to make it run backward, then opened my axles and flipped my lockers 180. Now the motor spins inward toward the center of the rig when driving forward rather than off to the left side. The torque twist is less than half as bad as it was.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by theTman; 04-29-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think you better step down to 2s or even NiMH, we need to make SURE we don't tear up the park. We need to be Stewart's of the park. Tread lightly...
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel kawboy View Post
I think you better step down to 2s or even NiMH, we need to make SURE we don't tear up the park. We need to be Stewart's of the park. Tread lightly...
I stole the lightly used 55t out of my ancient rig as well as the mamba max esc. On 3s with a 12t pinion it has decent but not abusurd amounts of speed, and has a lot of torque. I also stole the hacked flysky gt3c I got last summer from that rig.

Also, I removed the spare tire rack, rebuilt the shocks (only were filled 1/3rd of the way from the factory ), put in some cvd's, and I have a savox 500 oz servo, clamping servo arm, a BEC, and SSD titanium steering links on their way. Servo and links arrive next week sadly.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #7
Donkey Punch Champion!

Plastic links slide on rocks better than the metal junk. Just sayin...
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I only ordered titanium steering links. The stock ones are really flexible and a 500 oz servo would be too much for them. Replaced my trailing arms with some twin hammers trailing arms to shorten the wheelbase to reduce high centering. I found the old metal rear lower links from my old crawler were perfect for upper rear links when using twin hammers trailing arms. The pinion angle matches the front now. I had to put the axial ball joints into the vaterra arms on the chassis side though as the vaterra joints are a little wider. The vaterra joints fit the axle on the trailing arms mount though so I used them since they are stouter built. Will get pics later. No time atm.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Here is the bomber. Took some closer pics to show the suspension mod. https://imgur.com/a/61lYT

Took it for a spin in the courtyard at my apartment complex. Faster than my last rig, but probably 10mph tops. Plenty of torque. Plastic suspension links rattle and the stock servo is puny. If any of you get a bomber, get a new servo, metal steering links, and cvd's asap. The latter is so it can have a better steering angle.

Tman is coming back - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
coming back! hoghead5150 Oklahoma 5 08-04-2015 08:56 AM
coming back to crawlin.... slowlearner Axial Wraith 6 08-20-2012 10:34 PM
The Bruiser is coming back bodean Chit Chat 15 02-05-2012 12:38 PM
coming back home norcallump General Crawlers 3 10-22-2009 12:04 AM