Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Budhatrain's Big Pete 6x6 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Budhatrain's Big Pete 6x6 build

For a while I have been wanting to do a long wheel base build. I have a Burban that I picked up a while ago and I have ALWAYS wanted to build a 6x6 anything. So "A" project has been on the back of my mind (I am probably not going to do a 6x6 burban).

At RC4WD's ECSC '14 I picked up a long 4TEN chassis from GCM (Chris is such a cool guy). I scored a cheap axial whatever during the summer too. So I had plenty of parts stored away to start a project (I always start my projects like this)...

Finally this past weekend I was inspired to do something. I attended a local Scale Crawling comp in NE Ohio that my company Screw Loose Hardware had sponsored and one of the fellow drivers had a 6x6. I asked if I could drive it and I became hooked. I grinned from ear to ear and instantly knew what I wanted to build... a 6x6 for sure, they are just too sweet.

So this begins my 6x6 build... my direction is not set in stone. I do have a tamiya Bullhead body that I can use, formally Big Pete monster truck. I am thinking a class 2 multi-axle crawling rig so it probably won't look like any 1:1. However I do like a clean look and it will look like a truck!!! I am thinking interior and practical exterior. Maybe some tube work for a wheel/tire mount behind the cab. We will see how it goes... CowRC pit mat ready to build!

This was a learning experience... first I was reminded that the GCM 4TEN chassis is primarily a leaf sprung chassis. However it isn't really hard to make it apply to my context. Mainly I need to drill some new holes where I need them. This is a great looking chassis so I will wait to do some of this until after I have everything laid out. Hardware is my game so I am glad to go to my personal resources... Screw Loose 650 pcs Black Alloy Button Head kit and my Screw Loose Bulk spacer kit.

Right now I am just getting everything mocked up... I have a third set of Axial Icon shocks to build. I need to do some work on the rear shock mounts. I picked up some integy ones but they just don't line up to the holes on the chassis. I will use them as a template on some delrin sheet. I will be repainting some rear lockouts I picked up... or just replace with axial plastic ones. I want to do the xr steering mod to the front axles. I have done this before and with a 3 link/cms set up it works wonders. Speaking of cms and 3 link I will need to figure out a panhard bar mount. I love these MT 1.9 Baja Claws from RC4WD. RC4WD also supplied my front and rear bumper too, which mounted up easy peasy to the GCM chassis I might add.

So yeah... this is my build and I periodically think throughout the day "What can I do next." Thanks for joining me and reading this far along!
budhatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Budhatrain's Big Pete 6x6 build

Alright so I finished up the xr-steering mod. This is about a $50-100 upgrade depending on what you have on hand. You need axial xr universals, chubs and knuckles from a wraith (or xr), beef tubes and some grinding from a dremel.

I buttoned up the rest of the plumbing for the drivetrain and I am happy where this is sitting. I cannot tell you how many times I had to flip flop the axles and adjust the lengths but it finally got there HAHA Another task was figuring out the panhard setup. I picked up this axle panhard mount from VP and I just added a tamiya upper link mount on the chassis. I think the goal is to line up parrallel this panhard bar to the CMS servo steering link. With this mount I have options to get that right.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

So here is how it sits with this Tamiya Bullhead body... I am going to lose the axial skid and let the transfer case drop an inch. It's mounted too high and this will relive the stress on the drivetrain. This body is sitting on a cup, I am terrible at custom mounting bodies to chassis so I have to think through this one a bit. I love these RC4WD bumpers... check out the 7" wide one of the front! Perfect for this build.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #4

Looks really nice so far. It has a perfect stance. I like that bumper too, looks like it was made for a Bullhead body.
BMoreScale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm using the same bumper on my bill head bull. I need to get back working on mine. Have been on 6 month break.

Built my own rear bumper though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Great start and that chassis setup is nice.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

That is a great looking build so far! I just wish that I had seen that chassis before I had started trying to make my own frame...
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Sub'd. I like how this is looking. Is the forward pass thru axle custom made?
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:17 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Nice start!

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks great!! Love bullhead builds...does this mean Big Pete is no more?
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fly View Post
I'm using the same bumper on my bill head bull. I need to get back working on mine. Have been on 6 month break.
I was looking through the rc4wd website and saw this one, hoping it was beefy enough. I am real impressed with the fit. I like how you added those light buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Great start and that chassis setup is nice.
Chris and GCM never cease to amaze me! He has his finger on the pulse of scale custom builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Sub'd. I like how this is looking. Is the forward pass thru axle custom made?
It's only custom in the sense that it's not sold this way, however everything used to made this conversion can be bought off the shelf. You need to start with two of the same half of the axle cases. Pick up another ring, pinion, bearing, straight axles and lockouts. I had the extra ring and pinion, picked up a couple plastic axles halves... put it all together and totally missed that I needed axles and bearings HAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Looks great!! Love bullhead builds...does this mean Big Pete is no more?
Hey looky here my good friend OSRC, always good to cross your path. Big Pete is no more. Sold the Zilla Frame a long time ago and this shell has been sitting on the shelf for a long time now. This is going to be a good home!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:11 PM   #12

So sick man...that's definitely some inspiration for my...I have a custom built flatbed willys body (the big one) that I've needed to start for a while...many to do it under wraith axles though...just a little harder to figure out the center diff set-up but will be awesome....great build buddy
klubr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

good looking build so far. do you have a build using that clod body suburban?

also, as for mounting the body I mounted an angle to the back of the lights and used a couple body pins on the frame. the back I mounted some pins horizontally from my shock mounts. I built my chassis from scratch so it is not going work the same for you but maybe it will give you some ideas.

8x8 bullhead build
J.Peart is offline   Reply With Quote

Budhatrain's Big Pete 6x6 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Mack 6x6 BoyFreakWonder Multi Axle Rigs 5 02-18-2017 06:49 AM
Crazy Pete 6x6 tuber chevy55 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 13 01-12-2015 02:10 AM