Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: My foray into the multi-axle world, via the infamous HG P601

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My foray into the multi-axle world, via the infamous HG P601

I've always thought that a 6x6 or an 8x8 would be fun to have on my roster, but with my limited experience in the scaling/crawling world it was a bit daunting to consider building one withou ever having been up close and personal with one. Along comes the HengGuan P610, cheap like borscht. For the price (under $200CAD to my door) it seemed like it might be worth giving one a try.

This'll also be a fun truck to let the neighborhood kids play with so I don't have to worry about them wrecking my nice stuff...

The intention (as of now, we'll see how this changes...) is to leave this thing mostly stock and not invest a huge amount of money into it. It is what it is and that's cheap off shore rc truck and I can't lose sight of that.

I really like the body. But the pre-painted silver is awful.

Right out of the box there's a problem with it. I'm not certain if it's because of the Tx or the ESC (Rx is integrated into the ESC) but the servo doesn't work. Not a big deal, the vendor is sending me new Tx and ESC to fix it.

For now, it's running on old XL5 I had laying around and I'm using my Turnigy GTX3 (same as the Flsky gt3b/c) since I have spare Rx's already.

The 2 major drawbacks to this rig I see right away are the shocks and the frame. The shocks are horrible, undamped and the caps don't seal so you can't even add oil to damp them. The frame is plastic and has an insane amount of twist.

I do like their axle design, it uses a pass through pinion shaft so multi axle set-up is easy and there's a brake included on the terminal end so it bumps up the scale appearance just that little bit...

Now on to the pics

With this truck in the stable, my old storage solution wasn't up to par. Conveniently someone was getting rid of this shelf - needs some paint to gussy it up but it'll do for now.

Last edited by QuesoDelDiablo; 05-25-2016 at 02:34 PM.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My foray into the multi-axle world, via the infamous HG P601

An a good old WK on the shelf
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Crappy update post ahead because I forgot to grab some pics.

Over the last couple weeks I have made a couple of upgrades on the "Ridgeback".

First, she got named. My wife decided that "Ridgeback" is her name - she came up with it trying to identify it, while only remembering the model type of my Sawback. I'll happily accept her naming of it just that she's involved a little bit.

Next, I found a local guy selling a set of 6 SCX shocks so I grabbed those and put them in. The SCX shocks were about 10mm shorter then the stockers. By using a lower mounting point on the shock hoop (about 20mm down), I was able to offset the loss in shock length and gain a chassis lift of about 10mm which this truck can definitely use to increase approach/departure angles.

I also upgraded the frame rails to the metal ones. This makes a huge difference! It added about 10ozs to the truck and got rid of the wet noodle floppiness it had. Suspension works better, steering is crisper too.

Upcoming changes/plans:

Swap all the electronics - I'm going to put in an AE5 (so I can run 3Sfor more wheel speed), Rx for my good radio gear and a better servo (probably my spare Hitec645MG). Motor will stay with stock unit.

Improve the steering - I have a set of SCX knuckles & C Hubs. I'll see if these fit and if they can provide some increased steering throw. Also needs some better steering links.

Servo winches, X2. I've got some cheap-o servos that I've converted into winches. Gonna need to mount one front and one rear so this guy can be the official recovery vehicle..

Possibly a cheap BEC to run the steering servo and winches.

I've got a Traxxas TQ sound system I might see if jerry-rig into this set-up as well..

The body has a ton of spots for lights so one of these days I'll wire up LED's all over the place. But I hate soldering LED's so that's low on the list...

Last edited by QuesoDelDiablo; 09-14-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The real ones are nice too I'm really tempted to pick one of the affordable ones up.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
RCC Addict

For the $175 or so I've got into it, it's quickly turning into one of my favourite rigs..
Old 09-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
An a good old WK on the shelf
She's a classic, I keep it handy for the neighbours kids come out and want to play with my truck.. One of these days I'm gonna stretch the wheelbase, lock the diffs and do a few more things to make a mud truck out of it..
Old 09-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Crappy update post ahead because I forgot to grab some pics.

Over the last couple weeks I have made a couple of upgrades on the "Ridgeback".

First, she got named. My wife decided that "Ridgeback" is her name - she came up with it trying to identify it, while only remembering the model type of my Sawback. I'll happily accept her naming of it just that she's involved a little bit.

Next, I found a local guy selling a set of 6 SCX shocks so I grabbed those and put them in. The SCX shocks were about 10mm shorter then the stockers. By using a lower mounting point on the shock hoop (about 20mm down), I was able to offset the loss in shock length and gain a chassis lift of about 10mm which this truck can definitely use to increase approach/departure angles.

I also upgraded the frame rails to the metal ones. This makes a huge difference! It added about 10ozs to the truck and got rid of the wet noodle floppiness it had. Suspension works better, steering is crisper too.

Upcoming changes/plans:

Swap all the electronics - I'm going to put in an AE5 (so I can run 3Sfor more wheel speed), Rx for my good radio gear and a better servo (probably my spare Hitec645MG). Motor will stay with stock unit.

Improve the steering - I have a set of SCX knuckles & C Hubs. I'll see if these fit and if they can provide some increased steering throw. Also needs some better steering links.

Servo winches, X2. I've got some cheap-o servos that I've converted into winches. Gonna need to mount one front and one rear so this guy can be the official recovery vehicle..

Possibly a cheap BEC to run the steering servo and winches.

I've got a Traxxas TQ sound system I might see if jerry-rig into this set-up as well..

The body has a ton of spots for lights so one of these days I'll wire up LED's all over the place. But I hate soldering LED's so that's low on the list...
I have a p402 and I was able to use ax10 knuckles and outer axles on the stock chubs and inners. I did it to fit scx10 wheels and tires, I'm not sure it helped the steering.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
spaceman5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman5280 View Post
I have a p402 and I was able to use ax10 knuckles and outer axles on the stock chubs and inners. I did it to fit scx10 wheels and tires, I'm not sure it helped the steering.

Cool, good to know they do fit.

But I think you're right about the steering. I was looking closer last night and determined the steering is actually being limited by the stock dog bones bottoming out on the cups. I'll see if I can think any way to improve it some more because I would like some more steering angle - the turn radius is pretty rough for a 6x6 bad enough already...
Old 09-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Cool, good to know they do fit.

But I think you're right about the steering. I was looking closer last night and determined the steering is actually being limited by the stock dog bones bottoming out on the cups. I'll see if I can think any way to improve it some more because I would like some more steering angle - the turn radius is pretty rough for a 6x6 bad enough already...
Before I swapped knuckles, the chub on one side kept breaking when I was reversing under load in my rock pile and I was stumped until I watched what happened up close.

The chub had a boss for a steering stop* but no screw so the plastic links were flexing and allowing the knuckle to turn far enough for the dog bone to push out of the cup and the force would peel the chub off.

I finally installed stop screws and the problem was solved.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #10
RCC Addict

When you swapped AX10 gear onto your rig, did you swap the axle shafts too? I find myself wondering if I can run SCX CVD's to get more steering angle..

I might just have to buy a set and try it out..
Old 09-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

Quote:
When you swapped AX10 gear onto your rig, did you swap the axle shafts too? I find myself wondering if I can run SCX CVD's to get more steering angle..

I might just have to buy a set and try it out..
I left the HG inners and used Axial outers, when I open up the front to install bearings, I'll let you know what I find.

I also just ordered a second set of HG axles for a short wheelbase project cuz the high input will help with driveshaft angles, but the track is a little wide so I'm gonna look into narrowing and I would like to find a universal joint that will fit for better turning radius.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Glad to find there's somebody else out there working on one of these!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #13
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Glad to find there's somebody else out there working on one of these!
Here's mine...
Hg p402

My foray into the multi-axle world, via the infamous HG P601 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multi axle rigs thurayt South Carolina 6 02-15-2015 05:52 PM
New To Multi Axle Rigs Jakethesnake-rs10 Multi Axle Rigs 11 11-13-2013 07:10 PM
multi axle section scale4x4 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 74 06-29-2013 12:05 PM
First foray into FOFF. lilredmachine Formula Offroad 0 12-07-2011 01:25 PM