Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Military MAN (KAT 1) from RC4WD Beast II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

Default Military MAN (KAT 1) from RC4WD Beast II

Hello Everyone:

It has been some time since I last shared a build. When Tommy and new2rocks posted build threads over a year ago, I had to get a Beast II kit too.

It is built “out-of-the-box” except that I back-dated it to a late 1970’s MAN KAT 1 which involved redoing the front of the cab. I also added the monster muffler and exhaust pipes which are characteristic, a wooden bed floor, custom mirror brackets, and interior. Camouflage is standard NATO and the truck is licensed to the Bundeswehr as I have a 1/16 leopard RC tank with the same scheme. The electronics fit nicely in what would be the engine compartment of the prototype.

It runs a Tekin 55T motor, Tekin FX pro ESC, Castle BEC, Hitec 7950 steering servo, Tactic TS X40 shift servo, Tamiya TLU-01, -02 lighting units, Spektrum SR410 4C receiver, and Reaction 50C 4000 mAh battery (nice and compact).

I finished this about a year ago and kept meaning to post something but didn’t have any decent photos except these cell ‘phone ones. The recent posts about the new RTR Beast II got me off my butt to post something.

Regards, Mati

[

Last edited by MatiR; 10-30-2016 at 04:03 PM.
MatiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
M J
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Military MAN (KAT 1) from RC4WD Beast II

That's so cute! Haha. I couldn't resist.
M J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Stellar Build! I am in the process of completing the kit right now. I am thinking of trying a camo paint job, never done one before. What recommendations do you have?
Huber1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:35 AM   #4

Hi Huber:

Thanks for the comments. Painting camo is a very personal chore. Some airbrush artists like to do it free hand but in spite of having several high quality airbrushes and lots of practice, I never was able to get good enough edges. The real camo is slightly soft at the edges but I used masks of different kinds. Some people use Blue Tac putty and roll it into long cylinders and use that to outline the areas. Didn’t work for me.

I googled the Revell Man Kat1 7t milgl kit instructions and scaled the painting diagrams to approximately the same scale as my model with Photoshop. I cut the patterns out and used Tamiya masking tape rolled inside out to attach them to the model. This leaves some space so the edges are not as hard as using tape directly. In some places I used tape; at times I did do it free hand. It is a big chore and requires a lot of planning to get it right.

The base coat is Tamiya TS-61 NATO green spray can (many of them and expensive but great paint!!). The black and red-brown are Tamiya acrylics XF-68 and 69 which are not as durable as the TS paint, but come in bottles so I could use them with the airbrush. These colours are also available as TS, but spraying around masks is difficult from spray cans. Corrections for overspray were done freehand.

If you google “painting NATO camouflage” you will find a lot of ideas on how to do this and you can pick something that suits you.

Regards, Mati

Last edited by MatiR; 10-31-2016 at 10:01 AM.
MatiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Awesome build this! Great work on the camo
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Military MAN (KAT 1) from RC4WD Beast II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my 6x6 beast man kat doudou Multi Axle Rigs 27 12-03-2013 04:39 PM
Project 2.2: BEAST Man Kat Desert Rc Multi Axle Rigs 33 08-20-2013 06:02 AM