RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Multi Axle Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/multi-axle-rigs/)
-   -   Don't you know I'm Loco? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/multi-axle-rigs/587556-dont-you-know-im-loco.html)

ThatJeeper2017 10-30-2017 09:04 PM

Re: Don't you know I'm Loco?

[emoji46]I stare in awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calcagno45 10-31-2017 08:29 AM

heilige Scheiße das ist genial !!!

Thanks Google since I'm not German.

BigSki 10-31-2017 06:04 PM

That's pretty skookum. :mrgreen:

Mike Flea 10-31-2017 07:18 PM

Regner makes high quality steam engines, you'll have a lot of fun with it, and they're idiot-proof,( no dis-respect intended)"thumbsup"

imthatguy 11-01-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wblteen (Post 5762438)
You win the internet sir. Looks amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm not the first to do this, but I am the first to replicate something from the real truck world. Google "Crabfu" if you want to see the guy who did it the first time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5762442)
Incredible !
Wasn’t sure, but looks to be at least 500’ center field! Home run!!!!!!!!

Hang up and Drive

Yay! I won the World Series of Steam!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatJeeper2017 (Post 5762456)
[emoji46]I stare in awe.

Me too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcagno45 (Post 5762583)
heilige Scheiße das ist genial !!!

Thanks Google since I'm not German.

Das ist not eine booby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 5762793)
That's pretty skookum. :mrgreen:

I'm quite chuffed with it as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Flea (Post 5762813)
Regner makes high quality steam engines, you'll have a lot of fun with it, and they're idiot-proof,( no dis-respect intended)"thumbsup"

Good, I'm more of a duh-duh idiot. It's pretty easy to run, provided you follow the instructions and don't do stupid things.

I didn't think I was a steampunk, but this has changed the game for me. Who needs batteries? Just give me a fire source and a boiler. I'll get there. Eventually.

So, got all the things I needed to make this go. Compound Steam Oil, Distilled water, Butane and a funnel. There's a break-in period of ten, fifteen minute runs, but once that's done, to the engineering of making this thing power that thing. I've got strong theory on how it will all work, but until I actually hook it up and test it, who knows? The funnest part will be figuring out a good way of regulating pressure to the piston assembly by way of a servo...

I will say that this little engine is beyond my expectations, and even if it only drives on flat surfaces, I'll consider it a wild success. It's honestly that much fun. You all may have lost me to the live steam nerd patrol.

Gif of it spewing steam and making energy:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3015/hw5TiM.gif

Giggity.

wblteen 11-01-2017 05:52 PM

All I'm seeing and hearing is when a hard line is conquered is the steam whistle
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...71b42771c8.jpg

mikemcE 11-01-2017 06:06 PM

Had to mention crabfu...... sick mother !!!!
You need to up your game next build. This is an inspiration for you !
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...eb58b91d9d.jpg

Hang up and Drive

spaceman5280 11-01-2017 06:12 PM

Are you gonna power the drive train (pun intended) directly or spin a motor with the steam engine to make electricity to turn a drive motor?

BigSki 11-01-2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthatguy (Post 5763098)
The funnest part will be figuring out a good way of regulating pressure to the piston assembly by way of a servo...

Start checking out the live steam model railroad guys.. plenty of them use RC to operate servos to control the steam engine functions. Plenty of them also use LiPo and RC radios to control the electric models.

Mike Flea 11-05-2017 08:55 PM

This is mine: https://vimeo.com/241446848

DukeMinnix 11-08-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthatguy (Post 5761422)

I stand corrected

chino63 11-08-2017 12:25 PM

More cow bell.... I mean Choo Choo please. :mrgreen:

Ricochet 11-18-2017 09:09 PM

Are you going to keep the 2nd and 3rd axles connected like you have them in the earlier pics or are you going to 4 link the 3rd axle ? Trying to figure out how to run mine and keep the drive shaft from coming apart.

imthatguy 11-20-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wblteen (Post 5763113)
All I'm seeing and hearing is when a hard line is conquered is the steam whistle
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...71b42771c8.jpg

That's a good meme, thanks for posting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5763118)
Had to mention crabfu...... sick mother !!!!
You need to up your game next build. This is an inspiration for you !
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...eb58b91d9d.jpg

Hang up and Drive

Up my game from here!? No thanks, I'll leave the truly awesome stuff to him! ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman5280 (Post 5763125)
Are you gonna power the drive train (pun intended) directly or spin a motor with the steam engine to make electricity to turn a drive motor?

Obviously I'm going to power it with steam! You'd never generate enough electricity through something this small to make any significant electric power. Electricity (3S battery) will power the servos, receiver and lights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 5763162)
Start checking out the live steam model railroad guys.. plenty of them use RC to operate servos to control the steam engine functions. Plenty of them also use LiPo and RC radios to control the electric models.

Already done my research since posting, and yeah, those guys have got it down to a science. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Flea (Post 5764318)

Love it Mike. Regner makes quality stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5765035)
I stand corrected

I sit, correcting you. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chino63 (Post 5765117)
More cow bell.... I mean Choo Choo please. :mrgreen:

Coming your way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet (Post 5768309)
Are you going to keep the 2nd and 3rd axles connected like you have them in the earlier pics or are you going to 4 link the 3rd axle ? Trying to figure out how to run mine and keep the drive shaft from coming apart.

Both rear axles are 4 linked, and always were, no? With proper engineering, nothing should be coming apart. I spent a lot of time researching to make sure I did it right the first time. Luckily.

So, yeah, it's going to work. Mounted the engine assembly to the chassis firmly with a little square stock and a lot of measuring. Output to a 5mm shaft leftover from another project, mounted a 48p 5mm bore pinion to that through a motor mount plate with a bearing friction fit into it and out to the spur and Axial trans. Tons of reduction. Hard to actually stop the shaft from spinning. I'm really chuffed.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/8933/Ihk4UT.gif

Now onto the fun part of mounting servos and building the rest of the body.

wblteen 11-20-2017 09:54 AM

Thank you for pushing the limits. Can't wait to see it chugging down a trail

Ricochet 11-20-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthatguy (Post 5768680)
That's a good meme, thanks for posting!

Up my game from here!? No thanks, I'll leave the truly awesome stuff to him! ;-)

Obviously I'm going to power it with steam! You'd never generate enough electricity through something this small to make any significant electric power. Electricity (3S battery) will power the servos, receiver and lights.

Already done my research since posting, and yeah, those guys have got it down to a science. Thanks!

Love it Mike. Regner makes quality stuff.

I sit, correcting you. ;-)

Coming your way!

Both rear axles are 4 linked, and always were, no? With proper engineering, nothing should be coming apart. I spent a lot of time researching to make sure I did it right the first time. Luckily.

So, yeah, it's going to work. Mounted the engine assembly to the chassis firmly with a little square stock and a lot of measuring. Output to a 5mm shaft leftover from another project, mounted a 48p 5mm bore pinion to that through a motor mount plate with a bearing friction fit into it and out to the spur and Axial trans. Tons of reduction. Hard to actually stop the shaft from spinning. I'm really chuffed.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/8933/Ihk4UT.gif

Now onto the fun part of mounting servos and building the rest of the body.

Ok just thought you had both rear axles connected to each other.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

imthatguy 11-20-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet (Post 5768695)
Ok just thought you had both rear axles connected to each other.

Connected to each other by a driveshaft and the links, as it usually would be. Is that what you mean?

Ricochet 11-20-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthatguy (Post 5768707)
Connected to each other by a driveshaft and the links, as it usually would be. Is that what you mean?

Yeah I was going to 4 link to frame instead of the frame and the axle.

imthatguy 11-20-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet (Post 5768708)
Yeah I was going to 4 link to frame instead of the frame and the axle.

Certainly a way to do it, but you might have some trouble with geometry. I looked at a lot of actual 6x6 setups (and a lot of Shane's build threads) to make sure I did it accurately.

Ricochet 11-20-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthatguy (Post 5768709)
Certainly a way to do it, but you might have some trouble with geometry. I looked at a lot of actual 6x6 setups (and a lot of Shane's build threads) to make sure I did it accurately.

Ok I thought with having the axles connected the 2nd axle effected the 3rd when articulating.